in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-15-2012 6:15 PM by rgbyhkr. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-15-2012 2:04 PM

BS5 Encore Tech Question - MOTS on NAS Content

Hi all,

I was speaking with my local dealer the other day and think I may have been misinformed (or they may have misunderstood what I was asking).  I was told that MOTS analysis can be used on a BS5 Encore when connected to a BS5 with a library ripped directly to the BS5.  However, MOTS will not work on pre-ripped content stored on a NAS.  SInce I already have a large FLAC library I do not want to re-rip, that raises some quesitons for me:

- If you just have a BS5 Encore with a pre-existing NAS library, does MOTS work?

- If it does, is there feedback from owners on whether MOTS works significantly better on BS5 ripped librarues vs. pre-existing ones?  I'm thinking here about metadata having an impact on the quality of MOTS analysis and playback choices.

Thanks.

Jeff

• 01-15-2012 3:57 PM In reply to

• mhw
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-29-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 207
    • Gold Member

Re: BS5 Encore Tech Question - MOTS on NAS Content

Hi,

Whether the library is stored on a Beosound 5 or a NAS does not matter to the BS5 Encore - a UPnP-source is a UPnP-source!

And MOTS analyses the music, not the metadata, so it should not matter. But I have no "hands-on" experience...

Magnus

• 01-15-2012 4:41 PM In reply to

mhw:

Hi,

Whether the library is stored on a Beosound 5 or a NAS does not matter to the BS5 Encore - a UPnP-source is a UPnP-source!

And MOTS analyses the music, not the metadata, so it should not matter. But I have no "hands-on" experience...

Magnus

Magnus, you did hit the nail on the head!

• 01-15-2012 5:11 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

rgbyhkr:
      ... If it does, is there feedback from owners on whether MOTS works significantly
    better on BS5 ripped librarues vs. pre-existing ones?

MOTS = MOTS

If a BSD/BM5 combo is acting as a Server for a BSD5 Encore, the MOTS calculations have to be made twice.

They are calculated and stored on each unit separately - the Encore can NOT re-use the already existing
    MOTS calculations from the BM5.

And it will take the same LOT OF TIME to make this calculations - no matter if the music is stored on an
    USB-harddisk or stick,  a NAS or a BeoMaster 5.

• 01-15-2012 6:15 PM In reply to

Thanks to all for the help.  That makes sense and explains my answer.  It's good that it works that way, though I wonder how long it would take the system to analyze over 8300 albums.  :)

Jeff

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)