in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-12-2011 6:26 PM by Stan. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-11-2011 1:55 PM

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Beolab 1 problem

I bought a pair of Beolab 1's from a pawn shop.  They sound great and I think they are a major improvement over my BL8000s. 

They work great except for 2 things:  The LED does not work on one of the speakers, and this same speaker clicks (like it's turning on and off) once in a while when the source is turned off.  I knew about the LED problem before I bought, and considered this a small issue in light of the favorable price I paid.  However, the turning on/off (I'm guessing since the LED that would confirm this does not work) 2 or 3 times in rapid succession every 10 minutes or so bothers me.

Before I turn it over to a service shop, does anybody have any ideas what might be causing this, if there are potentially any simple fixes (like a new cable - I'll probably try this anyway - although the same cable worked fine for 10 years with my BL8000s) or whether the non-working LED could be related. 

Finally, from looking at the service manual, it doesn't look like the electronics within the lab are very modular... meaning, this might be a very expensive repair if they have to replace all the guts just because of this one small problem.  Am I mis-reading the service manual?

Thanks in advance,

Stan

• 08-11-2011 5:38 PM In reply to

Re: Beolab 1 problem

I think you should get a new pair of cables before you send them off to service. My BeoLab 5000 connected to airport express turns on and off sometimes when not used, and I think it's a cable problem.

A PL cable is reasonably cheap so it might save you a bunch on sending it to service just to find out it's a broken cable.

Better yet, switch the existing cables between the speakers if the problem is with the one only.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 08-12-2011 10:22 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

It was too much work to switch cables so I just unplugged the PL cable from the clicking lab, and it continued to click.  I also noticed that the red led does turn on at times, then click-click-click it is gone... click-click... click-click-click... back on again...  repeat (although the cycle is by no means regular, and I haven't really counted whether 2, 3 or 5 clicks generally happen in sequence).

I guess I will call the service center and see what they say...  there is a major B&O repair center a few miles from my home... I've dealt with them in the past and they seem like really nice folks.

On the other hand, the speakers work fine when playing music... so maybe I'll just never turn off... Smile

Stan

• 08-12-2011 10:40 AM In reply to

If you can't switch cables, switch the speakers! Smile

You could test switching the offending speaker to "LINE" input (with no PL cable attached) and see if it still clicks. If it stays nicely in standby, the problem might be in the Powerlink socket of the speaker.

Also, try powering the speaker from a different wall outlet in case the first advice above didn't imply it; I guess it could be a ground loop problem.

-mika

• 08-12-2011 6:26 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Changed to LINE mode, still clicks with no input cables connected. Although, not as much... seems like mostly single clicks rather than multi-clicks.

I don't think it's the power since I used the same cord  / same outlet with my BL8000s for 5+ years without problem.  However, it's easy to switch so I will try that too... or take your suggestion to switch the speakers around.

There was some brown gunk on the bottom of the speaker - in some of the crevasses between speaker and foot - I thought it might be floor wax or something similar but didn't give it too much thought at the time (I already knew the speaker had a problem with the LED) - I wonder if some of this has made it inside and is messing up the input sensing circuitry... maybe it is just a matter of cleaning off some circuit boards.  No warranty to worry about - just a distrustful wife. 

I will probably speak to the service center before I attempt any surgery myself.  If he quotes a reasonable price, I'll perhaps leave it to the professional.

Stan

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)