in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-03-2011 5:45 AM by Chrisreunion. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-02-2011 10:53 AM

Beosound 8 in a link installation?

Now when BS8 has been around for a while I wonder if anyone have incorporated it in a Masterlink network?

Would love to replace my Beolab 2000 linkspeaker.

A dealer told me its doable using a newer vesion of Beolink Active where there is a Phono outlet (for PC?), but I believe I will not be able to get anything from the BS8 (i.e music from a iThingie) out on the Masterlink network.

Anyone experimented with this?

I tried to search the forum, but could not find anything regarding this.

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 08-02-2011 1:32 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beosound 8 in a link installation?

Hiort:

... dealer told me its doable using a newer vesion of Beolink Active ...
    ... but I believe I will not be able to get anything from the BS8 (i.e music from a iThingie)
    out on the Masterlink network.

1) YES, the DIN "PC" socket af any BeoLink Active since 1999 will deliver music from the ML-Systen
      to an external unit, in your case via an adaptor cable to the "line in" = RCA-Phono sockets of the BSd 8 
    - the very special pin layout and the wiring has been described in the last posts of this thread:  

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/15997/281702.aspx#281702

2) NO, for two reasons:
    - the BSd 8 has no analogue output-sockets
    - the "PC" socket of a BeoLink Active just transmits incoming signals to the PL socket
      but not further into the ML-Network.

• 08-02-2011 3:43 PM In reply to

I think you want to use it as a link speaker, not a master, correct?

If so, it should work fine. You'd convert the PL output on the Active Kit using 6270302 into 2 RCA cables which would connect to the BeoSound 8 as an input. Providing there's nothing docked, it will sense an active input and turn on. What I don't know since I've never set it up is how the volume would work since they're both speaker level. There are plenty of home-made setups out there with 2 speaker level devices in line, but you may have to put the Active Kit in Link Option 4 or something so there's no overlapping volume commands. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 08-02-2011 3:58 PM In reply to

Won't the IR port on the BS8 suffice so you don't need the eye on the Beolink Active?

• 08-02-2011 4:15 PM In reply to

You'll have to switch on the Active somehow. I think it would be the BeoSound 8 that wouldn't need any input since it's line sensing and should retain a turn-on volume.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 08-02-2011 4:43 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

what is your system master? and . . .what are you trying to get the BS8?

It's very simple with the new BM5 update and an iDevice to get N.Music 

of course. . .this limits you to your digital collection but. . .very clean and easy to implement

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 08-02-2011 6:25 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

You mentioned in your original post, you woud like to replace a BeoLab 2000 and gain the
    possibility to play music from an "iThing" - as you called it.

I assume, simple and "BeoLab 2000 like" control of your ML sources is important to you.  

BeoLink Aktive: "L-Opt" "5" ("6" if video sources shall be controlled too)
    -> control sources of the ML System by pressing "CD" , "Radio" "TV", ... using a Beo 4/5/6
        the same way as on your BLb 2000.

BeoSound 8: "A-Opt" "4"  
    -> BeoSound 8 will react to it's own remote
    (and to a Beo 4/5/6 when selecting "Link" + "Any Audio Source" e.g. "Link" + "CD")

But, depending on your prefered source(s) you'll find different option settings possibly more convenient. 

• 08-03-2011 3:07 AM In reply to

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts, gentlemen.

@Trip:

Yes, I only want a link speaker. I realize now that sound from any iPod played on the BS8 will of course not go out on the Masterlink.

@mjmedlo:

I can today play my digital connection on my system using Airport Express over my Beocenter 2. 

@vienna:

Thanks for instructions.

All in all, I realize that its a lot of hazzle just to get a more contemporary linkspeaker than the BL2000. Music fom an iPod docked to the BS8 will only play in that linkroom. 

Will B&O ever provide a new link speaker such as Beolab 2000 or 3500, you think?

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 08-03-2011 5:45 AM In reply to

With the forthcoming release of BeoNet, there should be a new range of link speakers, I hope.Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)