in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-18-2011 9:14 PM by Søren Mexico. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-18-2011 7:39 PM

• Andre
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-04-2010
    • Cape Town
    • Posts 56
    • Bronze Member

Bang & Olufsen Cartridge Question

Hi

I have two original B&O cartridges - purchased new a very long time ago for my 4002 turntable.

The cartridges were hardly played before the turntable developed problems and my listening to B&O gear came to an abrupt end more than 20 years ago.

With a lot of assistance from this forum, my 4002 is again almost in good order and ready to play any of the two cartridges - a MMC 20E or a MMC 20EN.

I have tested both cartridges, playing them at 1 to 1.3g on a Shure test record TTR 110 and was surprised to find both are still capable of good sound without mistracking. For example - on the test record, there are 5 bass drum bands close to the spindle - imo a severe test for any cartridge. On these bands, these two oldtimer cartridges still have minimal distortion.

There is also no sign of sagging suspensions.

In your opinion, which of these two cartridges will deliver the best sound and can I do better than to use these cartridges?

andre/dauphine

• 07-18-2011 9:14 PM In reply to

Re: Bang & Olufsen Cartridge Question

The 20EN was supplied with your deck, the 20E was for BG 2000/2, I'm not shure if you will be able to hear any difference between the 2, but the EN should be the better one, if your cartridges has been stored for more than 20 years the suspension is ready to give in, we see it time after time here on the forum. I myself had a MMC2 and a MMC4 where the suspension gave in, the MMC2 had been stored for some 10 years after been played another 10 years, when I tested it, it played one LP both sides very good, couple of days later I finished repairs on my deck and after 1.5 LP the suspension just gave in and the cantilever was riding direct on the disk. The MMC4 just lost the needle one day, after playing of and on for 5 years here with me, it came with a BG 2404 I bought on E-Bay, so who knows how much and how it was used before, on the other hand, I have a BG 5000 I bought on the Bay last year, it came with a MMC4 and it is still playing OK, for the BG 2404 I bought a new SMMC4 by Soundsmith and I think it plays better than the original MMC4, but that may be because I payed USD 200.00 for it, delivered to Mexico cityHuh?

So my advise is keep and use the best sounding, send the other to Axel in Germany for repair (retipping) he will make it like a new one. Mail Axel before you ship he speaks English. You can also play one until it gives in and then use the other one when the first one is in for repair.  

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)