in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-27-2011 6:30 AM by Eugene. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-25-2011 3:40 PM

Can you help push me over the edge?

I'm new to the Bang & Olufsen world, but after staying a hotel in Malmö, Sweden this weekend, I had my first chance to experience an older B&O television.  It was a CRT TV, so I know it wasn't one of the new ones.  Still, I was very impressed with the heavy remote, the quality of the unit, the interesting design, and had a chance to stop into a store when I made a day trip to Copenhagen.  I've seen a few B&O products like this in the past, but never paid much attention to them.

I currently have a 42" Panasonic plasma TV (from about 2002), with the whole assortment of audio equipment (receiver, speakers, Apple TV, Nintendo Wii, Blu-Ray player, Tivo, etc.) and I'm considering starting to switch things for the B&O brand.  Cost is not really an issue, but I don't like to pay for items that are simply a waste of money.  I'm hoping this is not in that category.

I've searched through this forum, found out why people like the equipment, and am considering a Beovision 10, 40" television (or 46, depending on price).  I'm fond of Scandinavian design, and thus like the fact that it was designed, if not made, in Denmark.  People often seem to like the fact that it is distinctive, which is also appealing to me.  I simply like the design.

What pushed you over the edge, and can anyone offer any encouragement to take the plunge?

What else should I immediately be looking at in addition to their televisions?

• 06-25-2011 4:04 PM In reply to

Re: Can you help push me over the edge?

Welcome to the forum Alligator!

Read the reviews on the BV10 on this forum. You will probably be very satisfied with it unless you have previously owned a B&O CRT or plasma TV in which case the sound system will probably be a little better (larger speakers in a larger cabinet).

There are now some real bargains on the second hand market if you are happy with CRT or plasma: even up to 42" these televisions are outstanding even as Standard Definition sets.

I'm not going to encourage you any further: I'm afraid B&O is an addiction........ but there is a doctor on the forum who can help.Whistle

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 06-25-2011 7:52 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Jump! jump! jump! jump!  Smile

Ok, I rarely post nonsense posts like this, but it is Saturday night where I live Beer.  I guess it's time to put the computer away...

• 06-25-2011 9:04 PM In reply to

Alligator:
    What else should I immediately be looking at in addition to their televisions?

Audio and link systems, but go to a dealer and check it out, and if you have no economical limitations, take a look here, its in danish but there are a lot of very good pics and incredible set ups, take your time and get addicted.Wink

Welcome to the forum, and beware of the dangerous BeoVirus

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 06-25-2011 9:21 PM In reply to

Søren Mexico:
    take a look here, its in danish but there are a lot of very good pics and incredible set ups, take your time and get addicted.Wink

Holy crap Søren, who is this Peter Pan? Never saw a thread like that with such incredible pictures, mange tak!

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 06-26-2011 2:31 AM In reply to

Hi, 

This is a B&O forum so maybe we are a little biased!!  B&O are quality through and through, to be honest although the bv10 is a nice set personally I feel it isnt a outstanding set. If you went for a bv7-40 you get great sound, a contrast screen, crafted aluminium and if you buy a mk3 onwards its full hd and an amazing set!!  

Lifestyle av has one for sale so check it out, the item that pushed me over the edge was a 32" avant vcr! it was my first purchase and that was an amazing set, the sound was immense!  SO go for it and enjoy these items for many years

Cheers Nick 

• 06-26-2011 6:01 AM In reply to

Alligator,

I recently have purchased the BV10 and I am very pleased with it. I have read that you already watch 'flatscreen' so to speak and that is a big help (to my opninion). Coming from great CRT television (Avant and MX) it takes time to get used to look to a 1080p HD picture. I always wonder, do I see everything is the 'real world' also that sharp?

I also like it a lot that the TV is square-shaped. The TV looks stunning also when not in use. Coming to sound, if you do not want your china to fall out of the cabinets when watching a movie, the BV10 speakers are fine. To enjoy the finesses in music and film however it might be good to later on link the TV to your stereo set-up, regardless if you want to hear sound 'stereo' or dolby surround.

Finally, the heave remote you refered to... it has the ability of controlling all AV equipment, so you can toss away al the plastic junk that is now on your living room table. Enjoy the search for your TV.

Ferdinand

BS9000, Beolab 3000, Beocenter 7002, RL60.2, beo4, BV10

• 06-26-2011 6:34 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

vikinger:

I'm afraid B&O is an addiction........ 

Really? For a small number of people, perhaps. I buy the kit as it does a very good job, is realtively easy to use and you get a great A/V experience (with audio as important as video, for me). It's definitely not an additiction! Don't really worry about the next B&O kit I'm going to buy. I'd really need to be pushed in to buying the Beosound 8, but my "addiction" isn't strong enough to justify the cost. Plus my addiction doesn't quite sway me in to thinking the design is spot on.

Love the BV10-46 though. If you can get one a little cheaper, then it's recommended. But at £8900, it's not something I'd buy unless I had B&O kit to trade against it (and bring down the price).

• 06-26-2011 8:30 AM In reply to

Leslie:

Søren Mexico:
    take a look here, its in danish but there are a lot of very good pics and incredible set ups, take your time and get addicted.Wink

Holy crap Søren, who is this Peter Pan? Never saw a thread like that with such incredible pictures, mange tak!

Thank god I am only an audio junkie.

@ Alligator buy one of Sir Leslies refurbished "vintage audio" kits and you will be a B&O junkie for life.

• 06-26-2011 9:28 AM In reply to

moxxey:
    It's definitely not an additiction!

Hmm Can't disagree with that!

moxxey:
    Plus my addiction doesn't quite sway me in to thinking the design is spot on.

So you are an addict?

Graham

EDIT: or an addict in denial? That's even worse!

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 06-26-2011 12:23 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    Plus my addiction doesn't quite sway me in to thinking the design is spot on.

vikinger:
    So you are an addict? EDIT: or an addict in denial? That's even worse! 

Addiction should have been in inverted commas. I was trying to be ironic. An addict for me is a person who ignores the price, price increases and the competition and somewhat blindy comes back for more. There are a lot of these people in the luxury watch market, which has driven the prices (of these watches) up considerably. However, there does get to a point where the price starts to become silly - the BV7-55 is a good example. Perhaps even a new BV7-40, which I now believe is £10K? For a 40" TV? And people are still buying them!

I still buy the odd bit of kit and if my dealer offered me a deal on a BV10-46, I'd consider it. But he won't or hasn't, so I'll remain as I am. Or get a Loewe!

• 06-26-2011 1:07 PM In reply to

Leslie:

Søren Mexico:

I only know him from this and other forums, I use his DIY connection cables and designs a lot, if you surf his forum threads you will find connections for everything BO and not BO, to descriptions of special BO models and, and ,and. This guy knows his stuff, B&O and beyond.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 06-26-2011 4:26 PM In reply to

Søren Mexico:

Leslie:

Søren Mexico:

I only know him from this and other forums, I use his DIY connection cables and designs a lot, if you surf his forum threads you will find connections for everything BO and not BO, to descriptions of special BO models and, and ,and. This guy knows his stuff, B&O and beyond.

Thanks Søren, time for me to learn Danish although some words are almost Dutch or reversed?

Beovirus? What's that?

• 06-26-2011 5:11 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Leslie:

Søren Mexico:

Leslie:

Søren Mexico:

Thanks Søren, time for me to learn Danish although some words are almost Dutch or reversed?

Yes, both Danish and Dutch are some kind of throat deceases, very similar! Wink

Peter Pan is a regular poster in the Scandinavian Forum here, unfortunately he doesn't speak English.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 06-26-2011 6:12 PM In reply to

Daniel:
    Yes, both Danish and Dutch are some kind of throat deceases, very similar!

When I came to Sweden in 1971, the first thing I did was teaching the Swedes to walk upright on only 2 legs.Erm

• 06-26-2011 7:00 PM In reply to

Daniel:

Yes, both Danish and Dutch are some kind of throat deceases, very similar! Wink

Excuse me? Do I know you?

Beovirus? What's that?

• 06-27-2011 6:13 AM In reply to

Back on topic :-)

The true romance of B&O happens when you hold the remote [✔]

And when you experience the wonder of masterlinked control of your A/V [ ]

But as the audio-visual world is in a change of flux I suggest you tread carefully ... look at the Apple TV as an economical way to integrate A/V components

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 06-27-2011 6:30 AM In reply to

The Beomaster 2400 Command Module is still my favorite remote.

Eight function, ultrasonic, weighs a couple pounds, is large and clunky but its a thing of vintage beauty. It is what makes the 2400 system one of my favorites.

and its fun to play with and a bit of a conversation piece at parties.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)