in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-02-2011 6:18 PM by Nickyg63. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-30-2011 8:19 AM

Beovision3 32 retrieved from the trash can.. worth repairing it?

hello,

this is my first post here. i've always liked B&O gears , but couldn't afford it.. now i got a weird chance..

some days ago i found a Beovision 3 32 idling on the street,  it was left on the side of a trash can. can you believe it? i still hardly do.. how lucky!

beov3 trashed

the tv set is in a reasonable good shape.  the remote of course was missing.. the blue front cover is a bit broken in the angles (but it could be still replaced, right?)

i got it at home ("we" got it really, as it's not a lightweight box).. documented a lot about it and turned on full of hope. the red light blinked correctly!

then i used an universal remote control to turn it really on from standby to green led. OK!

As i live in a place where there's only digital tv on air, i get just a noise screen but that's still good sign. the tube seems working. i just can clearly see a red ghost "shadow" growing toward the bottom.. (need surely proper tuning)

anyway, after a minute or so, the screen becomes completely green with a brighter horizontal line as retrace and few seconds later the tv tube goes black (as in a protection shutoff mode, i suppose).

there's a problem for sure. too good to be true, indeed. it's a real pity.

that's why i look for advice here.. is this a tube issue (and so it's a expensive dead end..) or the electronic card is just looking for some tuning (or capacitor to be exchanged..) ?

i'm surely going to write to some B&O dealer in the neighborhood,  but maybe someone here lived the same experience and can share his thoughts..

bests

Andrea

• 06-30-2011 8:50 AM In reply to

Re: Beovision3 32 retrieved from the trash can.. worth repairing it?

Andrea,

A Very warm Welcome to Beoworld..

As you have found out the Beovision has a Power Supply protection system which provides protection from over current and over voltage which is positive that it shutdown when clearly something was going wrong.

Given, that you stated that before the screen went black there was a brighter horizontal line means the field oscillator has stopped which tends to also mean that the HT (High voltage) supply failed (over current) which more than likely is caused by a short somewhere.

The short could be almost anywhere in the line output stage including a cathode to grid short in the tube.

Without disconnecting key parts in the output stage and testing the HT supply it's difficult to provide further advice unless you are experienced in the repair of high voltage electronics. This is an area of all CRT TV's you should keep away from unless you know what you are doing as the voltage on the anode of the tube is 25,000 volts

Regards Keith....

• 06-30-2011 9:19 AM In reply to

thanks Keith for such a prompt reply.

you seem to point toward an electronic failure.. that's good. anyway 25KV are enough for me. i don't want to do THAT B&O experience! :-)

i'm surely a technician and really work on digital television field but never on the high voltage analog hardware so i don't have skills neither tools (multimeter or scope) nor documentation (like service manual) to get over this task.

maybe i can try to take a shot of the defect. the tv display is fully bleached green with a straight white line.

do you think a typical "old school" tv technician could do a proper diagnosis or i'd better stick to B&O repair service?

bests

• 06-30-2011 2:23 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

The service manual is available on this site if you upgrade to silver membership.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 06-30-2011 8:13 PM In reply to

If the tube is shot, isn't it very expensive to replace on the BV3?

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 07-01-2011 5:57 PM In reply to

bayerische:

It cost me £500 to replace mine!! and that was mates rates

• 07-01-2011 8:41 PM In reply to

Nickyg63:

bayerische:

It cost me £500 to replace mine!! and that was mates rates

So VERY expensive is an understatement then...

Fact is nowadays when tubes throw in the towels, it's better to get a new TV.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 07-02-2011 6:18 PM In reply to

its a shame really, as the picture on these old sets are mint!  I moved onto a bv7 now although not as good picture, I do still love the set!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)