in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-10-2011 2:11 PM by Dillen. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-10-2011 1:50 PM

Beogram 4004 Drive Belt Length

Hi Vintage Community,

My now working BG 4004 appears to need a new drive belt. The one I have measures ~2 x 17 1/8" (i.e. 34 1/4" circumference) in relaxed state (gently pressed flat against a yard stick). How long is a "fresh" one supposed to be? I am also wondering if anyone already identified a 'generic belt source' where one could obtain a new one for a reasonable price? What are these belts made from?

Any input would be appreciated! 

Thanks much in advance!

Rudy

• 06-10-2011 2:11 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 4004 Drive Belt Length

I'm afraid it's not an off-the-shelf size like the ones, I've seen sellers on Ebay provide very cheaply.
    I've replaced a couple of them already and also replaced a motor or two with badly worn bearings on
    Beograms coming in for repairs here.
    Some of the belts are simply too small, pulling the subchassis enough towards the motor to see
    the subchassis rub against the main chassis with lots of rumble etc. as a result (plus stress to
    the motor bearings).
    Other belts seem to have almost no elasticity with lack of free movement of the subchassis as the result.
    If the subchassis swings a little, the belt either slips on the motor pulley or tightens too much, restricting
    the damping.

Maybe not quite as cheap as the generic ones (that doesn't fit) but I can supply correct belts, custom
    produced to size etc.
    Available directly from me and also on Bonanza.
    Neopren, kautschuk and sometimes nitrile in a certain mix will give the correct elasticity and friction (which
    none of the standard belts will provide anyways).

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)