in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-07-2011 4:23 AM by dimwittedmoose51. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-06-2011 11:37 AM

Fair Market Value for Vintage M-70's?

Hi:  New to the group. Have owned these M-70's since 1977 and was wondering what a fair price for them would be before I upgrade to the silver membership to acutally sell them.  Rather not go the ebay route and sell them to someone that appreciates their qualites.  Cones appear to be in great shape and other than a few water stains on the top of the rosewood cabinets, they are in amazing shape for being nearly 35 years old.  I do have the OE DIN plug wires but don't have the original aluminum stands.  Might still have the owners manual too, but have to dig for it.

If I do sell the M-70's I'll still be hanging on to my 4002 turntable!!!!!

Thanks in Advance

DM&FS

• 06-06-2011 12:36 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Re: Fair Market Value for Vintage M-70's?

dimwittedmoose51:

Hi:  New to the group. Have owned these M-70's since 1977 and was wondering what a fair price for them would be before I upgrade to the silver membership to acutally sell them.  Rather not go the ebay route and sell them to someone that appreciates their qualites.  Comes appear to be in great shape and other than a few water stains on the top of the rosewood cabinets, they are in amazing shape for being nearly 35 years old.  I do have the OE DIN plug wires but don't have the original aluminum stands.  Might still have the owners manual too, but have to dig for it.

If I do sell the M-70's I'll still be hanging on to my 4002 turntable!!!!!

Thanks in Advance

DM&FS

Not sure where you're located, but in Central Florida, USA, in the past year I've bought two pairs:  $50 for the first pair and $100 for the second pair.  Both of those were local pickup.  On Ebay just this past week or two, a pair sold with trumpet stands in the $150 to $175 range.  About a month or two ago, someone tried to sell a pair on Ebay and they didn't even sell.

Sad to say, the M70 does not appear to be in demand.  Shame, too, because now that I've been driving them with a more powerful amplifier than the BM1900/BM2400, they sound fantastic.

Perhaps outside of the States they may be more sought after.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 06-06-2011 1:32 PM In reply to

Where are you based?

Vintage B&O stuff is always for a limited/niche market although they are great speakers.

Best bet is a decent eBay/Gumtree/Craiglist/Beoworld ad with a great description and decent photos really. It's a shame you don't have the stands because they are alot more desireable complete!

I'd say value anywhere from £50 to maybe £120 on a good day without stands!

Hope this helps!

• 06-06-2011 2:03 PM In reply to

Thanks for the feedback.  I sold the stands a few years ago on ebay due to space issues iin our living room.  Now we don't have space for thes big speakers either and must downsize once again.  They've been driven by a Yamaha CR-1020 their entire life and that's been plenty of power(110rms/ch).

We'll kick it around some more.  It certainly appears that they don't hold the value that the Klipsch Heresys of that vintage hold.  It's hard to get a pr. of them for under $400, on ebay anyway.  The hi fi store I used to work in part time in Arkansas sold both lines, and each brand had its own following, but since the Heresys were made in-state, that tipped the scales quite a bit.

Later,

DM&FS

• 06-06-2011 2:07 PM In reply to

Sorry, didn't answer the location question.  We're currently in NE Iowa, likely a B&O black hole in the universe....

DM&FS

• 06-06-2011 8:28 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Do what I did - put them in the dining room!

Seriously, though, if you end up shipping them, Dillen/Martin strongly suggests performing preventive maintenance on the phase link. See my M70 thread under Vintage Products.

Are you anywhere near the La Crosse to Prairie due Chien corridor? I drive that once a month when I visit a plant in Marquette, Iowa.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 06-07-2011 4:23 AM In reply to

We're in Cedar Falls, about 90 min. west of Dubuque on Hwy 20.  I'll check out the update.  Thanks

DM&FS

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)