in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-24-2011 4:12 AM by Peter. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2011 8:10 AM

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Trying to understand the OPT functions on a BEO4

Hi Guys,

I am amazed about the amount of knowledge and experienced that is shared in this forum! I'm learning something new every time when visiting and recently I have been following threads on how the OPT settings work. I am trying to understand how it works and also if it could solve some of the "glitches" i have in my setup.

My setup: Beovision  3-32 with Beolink converter + Splitter to Beocenter 2300 and Beogram 3300 (n.radio/Phono). I have a Lintronic box controlling my Apple TV (v.mem/v.tape) and my Motorola DVB-T on Demand box (DVD2) and a DVD1(DVD)

I can remote control CD and radio on the BC2300 and also remote control my turntable, even moving the arm. Apple TV works fine ( no fast scrolling though, but I am aware that can't be done) Controlling my DVD1 via scart works perfectly also.

Problems:

When I load a CD on my BC2300, or press the CD or Radio button directly on the unit, there is no sound from the speakers ( Beloab 8000/6000 attached to the surround module on the BV3). When I use the BEO4, it all works fine. Has this to do with OPT settings?

When I try to control my Motorola box, it simply will not work. I had it partially working with the menus once and then it stopped. I have confirmed with Lintronic I got the right codes and I moved the emitters and even place the Lintronic unit "face-to-face" with the Motorola, but still no go. When I have a Laptop attached to it, I can see it is receiving the signals and I also tried with different BEO 4s.

The Apple TV and my former Sagem box, works fine using the BEO 4 with through the Lintronic unit.

Can this have something to do with the OPT settings?

Any input is welcome.

/Peter

Filed under: , ,
  • 01-23-2011 9:56 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: Trying to understand the OPT funtions on a BEO4

Hi Peter, in your set-up you should have the BV3-32 set to OPT 2 and the BC2300 set to OPT 0. This would mean that the BV3-32 will receive all the I.R. commands. This is how I had my BV-32 set up when it was connected to both a BS3000 and then a BS9000. If you have both in standby. What happens when you press RADIO or CD on the BC2300? Does the BV3-32 come out of standby? You shouldn't see the screen turn on, but the standby light should go from red to green.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 01-23-2011 12:01 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

You should investigate if your bv3 can control the apple tv as the puc exists and supports fast scrolling. Your bv3 might be able to be flashed with the new puc unless it's an older that uses a chip for stb control

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 01-23-2011 2:17 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Seanie_230:
    Your bv3 might be able to be flashed with the new puc unless it's an older that uses a chip for stb control

As the BV3-32 is based on the Avant chassis, it is a case of changing a chip in the STB controller to update the list. Been saying I will do mine for the last 6 months.LaughingLaughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 01-24-2011 3:54 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Craig and Seanie!

Regarding what happens when I turn CD or Radio on the BC2300, on the physical unit, the BV3 does not react at all. No green light, no turning into viewing position…nothing.

But when I use the Beo4, all works perfectly. It's like the communication is only one way to the BC2300 from the BV3, at least from standby..

I'm not sure how to "set the OPT 0 or 1" what is the key combination to do that? and is this a setting that is set also in the BV3 and BC2300? Not only the remote? Sorry if my questions are stupid..i' m a bit confused! ;-)

Thanks for the tip about using the STB controller to get fast scrolling, maybe using a built in STB card is a better solution after all. Unfortunately my BV 3-32 doesn't  have the STB card, but I am sure I can buy it at the dealers. I was about to do that before, but choosed the Lintronic solution instead since it was more scalable. It cost me twice as much as a STB card, but maybe I should have bought that instead..

So, is it a possibility that the OPT settings on my Beo4 could effect my ability to control the Motorola box via the Lintronic interface ( it is assigned as "DVD2" on my Beo4)?

/Peter

• 01-24-2011 10:10 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

As said before make sure your BV is set to V.OPT 2 and the BC2300 to A.OPT 0.

Press - STDBY / LIST - simultaneously - scroll to - OPTIONS? - press - GO - scroll to - V.OPT - press - 2 - The red LED should flash shortly.

Now the same procedure for A.OPT (0).

If this doesn`t work, disconnect your Beogram from the Aux splitter. Maybe your system is "confused" by the splitted Datalink signal...(?)

Your BL converter is 1611?

For the scroll problem: You have assigned the Beo4 UP - DOWN buttons to UP - DOWN for the apple remote. Trigger also apple remote UP - DOWN by UP-long and DOWN-long. I can remember I was able to make fast scrolling work. But I`m not sure whether it was an apple product....

Stefan

• 01-24-2011 4:14 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Stefan!

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I have a 1611 BL converter and I tried the commands, also with and without the splitter..still the same thing…no go..

Regarding the fast scroll, I have those functions assigned in the Lintronic configurator, and I got confirmation from Michael at Lintronic that it would not work. But this was this summer and I haven' t installed the new Lintronic configurator yet, maybe it will make a difference… Or are you referring to the use of a built in STB card?

/Peter

• 01-25-2011 5:25 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Peter,

was option programming successful? Did the red LED flash? It is important to have correct audio- and video option settings.

For the fast scroll problem: Why not let the STB controler do the apple TV job? As far as I read, can apple TV learn IR commands from other brands remotes. So just select a stb in the controler menu, connect an IR emitter to your BV3 and apple TV and let the apple TV learn the IR codes by pressing the buttons you want to use on your Beo4. I never tried that, but I think it`s worth a try.

If this works, your Lintronic box can control the Motorola box. You could use the Scart solution and connect the Lintronic box directly the Motorola.

Stefan

• 01-25-2011 6:11 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Stefan,

When I did the OPT selection for the BV3 the red light blinked, so I believe it got the input. The 2300 did not react though, no blink on the red standby diod. 

I have both the BV3 and the 2300 in the same room beside eachother, and I found in the manual that the OPT should be 1 on both BV3 and BC 2300, so i tried that also, but still same thing. Using the Beo4 works fine, but trying to control CD or radio from the BC2300 will not work..no sound to the speakers.

I found this, which confuses me a little, as your suggestion is actually to turn off the link reception on the BC2300? and set "Two receivers in the same room on the TV? Would that somehow make the signal from the BC2300 unit "wake up" the speakers?:

Option 0   No IR Reception
    Option 1   Two receivers in the same room
    Option 2   One Receiver in the main room
    Option 4   Link room product connected to one or two main room products in the same room.
    Option 5  Two IR receivers in the same room link.
    Option 6  One IR eye in the link room

Is maybe the "link-eye" to the Lintronic confusing the whole thing? Since all of this is more or less on the same spot..

You write that I could "control the Motorola with the Lintronic"...but that was the other problem..I cant get it to work either :(  What is the Scart solution you  refer to? The Motorola is connected directly to the BV 3 using Scart ( assigned as DVD2) and emitters placed on the Motorola and the ATV ( the emitters worked on my Sagem, so I assume they are ok..)

It seems from your post that it should work with a built in STB card. Too bad I don't have one, but will look into getting one..

Although another 200 euros on top of the 450 i payed for the Lintronic kit is a bit steep just to be able to use the Beo4 for just controlling the AppleTV and the Motorola..

Thanks for your patience, Stefan ...but it feels I have missed some basic information about how to set this up when reading manuals and following your advice here..

/Peter

• 01-25-2011 6:53 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

"When I did the OPT selection for the BV3 the red light blinked, so I believe it got the input."

So your BV3 is set to V.OPT 2 - correct.

"The 2300 did not react though, no blink on the red standby diod."

For the BC2300 you have to set A.OPT 0, not V.OPT...(?) 

"I have both the BV3 and the 2300 in the same room beside eachother, and I found in the manual that the OPT should be 1 on both BV3 and BC 2300, so i tried that also, but still same thing. Using the Beo4 works fine, but trying to control CD or radio from the BC2300 will not work..no sound to the speakers."

A.OPT 1 means, BC2300 only reacts to audio commands , and V.OPT 1 means, BV3 only reacts to video commands. You need that if you have Beolabs connected to both systems, and they will work independantly from each other. If you connect Beolabs just to the Beovision, it should react to both kind of commands, audio and video. In this mode audio commands (CS - RADIO - A.TAPE....) will be redirected through the BV3 to the connected Beolabs. Therefore it is important to set the Beocenter to A.OPT 0, to let the BC2300 "know" that it has to activate the linked Beovision.

"I found this, which confuses me a little, as your suggestion is actually to turn off the link reception on the BC2300? and set "two receivers in the same room on the TV? Would that somehow make the signal from the BC2300 unit "wake up" the speakers?"

Yes, IR reception has to be turned off in your setup, because all commands (audio AND video) are sent through the BV3 (V.OPT 2 for audio- and video commands)

"Option 0   No IR Reception"

Only to use if you have a linked videomaster (in your setup BV3) NB: we have A.OPT and V.OPT

"Option 1   Two receivers in the same room"

The audio- or videomaster only respond to its own commands. NB: we have A.OPT and V.OPT

"Option 2   One Receiver in the main room"

The audio- or videomaster respond to both commands, audio and video. NB: we have A.OPT and V.OPT

"Option 4   Link room product connected to one or two main room products in the same room.
    Option 5  Two IR receivers in the same room link.
    Option 6  One IR eye in the link room"

We don`t need these option settings in your current setup, so let`s talk about it in the next lesson...:)

"Is maybe the "link-eye" to the Lintronic confusing the whole thing? Since all of this is more or less on the same spot.."

I don`t think so. But try, disconnect Lintronic from the mains and start up your system.

"You write that I could "control the Motorola with the Lintronic"...but that was the other problem..I cant get it to work either :(  What is the Scart soluution you  refer to? The Motorola is connected directly to the BV 3 using Scart ( assigned as DVD2)"

You will find the scart solution here - page 7...http://www.lintronic.dk/AppNote_BeoLink.pdf

"....but that was the other problem..."

??

"Although another 200 euros on top of the 450 i payed for the Lintronic kit is a bit steep just to be able to use the Beo4 for just controlling the AppleTV and the Motorola.."

No. You don`t need a second Lintronic box. The apple TV will be controled by the BV3s STB controler, and the Motorola box by your (existing) Lintronic converter.

"Thanks for your patience, Stefan"

You`re welcome.

"...but it feels I have missed some basic information about how to set this up when reading manuals and following your advice here.."

Most important thing is we will sort it out...

Stefan

• 01-25-2011 7:47 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Ok, now I know what you mean by "..other problem..."

"When I try to control my Motorola box, it simply will not work. I had it partially working with the menus once and then it stopped. I have confirmed with Lintronic I got the right codes and I moved the emitters and even place the Lintronic unit "face-to-face" with the Motorola, but still no go. When I have a Laptop attached to it, I can see it is receiving the signals and I also tried with different BEO 4s.

The Apple TV and my former Sagem box, works fine using the BEO 4 with through the Lintronic unit."

You have configured the Motorola-control to DVD2 mode. I know there was some strange behaviour of the Lintronic box in DVD2 mode ( it`s the same as V-TAPE2 mode). The IR codes were sometimes detected as V.MEM codes (as far as I remember). This would be a conflict in your setup with the apple codes - un V.MEM mode. I suggest to reconfigure the Motorola codes to for example V.AUX mode. Just a guess....

Stefan

• 01-25-2011 8:06 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Stefan!

Now everything look a bit more clear to me ! Geeked

It make sense that all signals go through the BV3 (and the IR eye to the Lintronic)

This configuration actually solves another little annoying glitch I had, the doors to the BC 2300 opened everytime I started the TV !

I will test again when I get home and let you know the result if I can control the CD and Radio from the BC 2300 alone.

I will also try to assign the Motorola to something else than DVD2. I actually tried with DTV, but that didnt work at all, since I cannot activate that on the TV, I guess that is beecause it doesnt have a built in STB card? ( would have been nice to use that button instead of the "list" function..)

Thanks so far, Stefan ! Now I know what to test when I get home tonight..

/Peter

• 01-25-2011 9:02 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

"This configuration actually solves another little annoying glitch I had, the doors to the BC 2300 opened everytime I started the TV !"

This is a known problem with earlier (two way models?) BC2300 and LCD/Plasma TV in the same room, but I never heard that with a CRT TV before...?

It could help to place the BC2300 away from the TV...

Good luck with your testing

Stefan

• 01-30-2011 1:53 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Stefan,

I tried the other OPT settings as well, just to test and see if it worked as specified, all of a sudden the doors of the BC2300 started open again, when turning on the TV..hmm.
    Anyways, I cannot really place it away from the TV since my living room isn' t that big, so i guess I have to live with it..

I have now the BV-3 as the master for the the Beo4, which work fine (and has always been working). Nevertheless, its doesn't seem possible to get sound from the BC 2300 when pressing CD or radio on the unit when the speakers are attached on the TV. Believe me, I have tried all combinations..

Also, regarding the fast scrolling via Lintronic doesnt work either. I have even tried to assign separate buttons for "fast up" and "fast down" ..simply no go.. <EDIT: just did a firmware upgrade and now I can get faster scrolling when holding down the arrow keys, not as fast as on the iPhone, but much better than before :-) >

And the Motorola VIP 1920 (delivered from Swedish cable supplier Comhem) is impossible to control with the codeset provided by Lintronic. The simple Sagem STB I have works fine though, so the emitters etc should be ok..

I tried using V.AUX instead of DVD2, same result ..no go. I get the signal and picture, but I can't do anything else, changing channels or go to the on demand menues simply will not work. I also tried to assign the DTV button, but that will not respond either, even if assign "decoder" or anything else on the TV setup on the 3d Scart. 

Feels I need some vacation from this now..irritated about not get any of it to work ( I regard myself rather computer savvy…but still cant see why it shouldnt work) Will contact Lintronic again to see if I can get some help other than " it should work.."..

Thanks for all help so far..

• 02-02-2011 3:52 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Peter:

I have now the BV-3 as the master for the the Beo4, which work fine (and has always been working). Nevertheless, its doesn't seem possible to get sound from the BC 2300 when pressing CD or radio on the unit when the speakers are attached on the TV. Believe me, I have tried all combinations..

Peter,

did you try to connect a Powerlink cable to your BC2300 and the BL converter? I can remember I had this cable in my previous setup with BS7000 and BV7-40. I was able to start up the whole system by pressing PLAY on the BG CD7000. It`s also described in the manual for a setup in A.OPT 0 (without ML) and V.OPT 2 (ML device). Seems the converter needs the Powerlink-signal to let the videosystem "know" when you manually start up the audiosystem...?

Stefan

• 02-02-2011 5:55 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

HI Stefan,

Yes, that seems logical. I have a powerlink (or is it called the Masterlink?) cable (with the rectangular connectors)  from the BV3-32 to the Beolink converter. On the other side of the converter, I have a splitter ( with the round powerlink connectors) where one goes to the BC2300 and the other to the Beogram.

I have tried without the splitter, just to make sure it doesn't confuse the signal, but the result is the same, no signal from the BC2300 to the  BV3 where the speakers are connected. Maybe the powerlink cable from the BC2300 is not correct?

/Peter

• 02-02-2011 9:45 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

The cable between BV3 and BL converter is the Masterlink cable. The cable with round 7 PIN plugs between BL converter (AUX LINK) and BC2300 (AUX) is the AUDIO AUX LINK cable. You have added a splitter to the converter`s AUX LINK plug for the Beogram - Your devices are connected: BV3 - BL 1611 - BC2300/Beogram.

Now add a Powerlink cable (8 PIN round) to the Powerlink plug on the BL 1611 on one end and to Powerlink out of your BC2300.

Stefan

• 02-02-2011 3:51 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Stefan,

Ok, so one more powerlink cable might do the trick..I will look into that…

Thanks for the tip! 

/Peter

• 02-02-2011 4:16 PM In reply to

I wonder if it worked before. I doubt that.

The beolink converter has to be placed between the BV3 and the 2300, without the splitter you've mentioned.

By using the spliiter you're messing up the data signals send by either the BV3 or the beogram. Both uses pin 6 and 7 to send data (ground and signal).

So I should start, as Stefan mentions, just by using a powerlink and an aux cable.

Disconnect the system from the mains, then connect the BV3 and the 2300 to the mains. And at last the converter.

One important reason for using the powerlinkcable has to do with the power on/off status on pin 1/4. 

• 02-03-2011 1:47 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Beobuddy,

No, it has never worked in this setup for me to get any sound when pressing CD or Radio on the BC2300. Actually, its not really a big deal either since I usually use the BEO4 to control it all anyway, I was just curious why it didnt work since I though the single powerlink cable I have would be enough to handle the communication both ways.

As I mentioned earlier, I have tried without the splitter, but same result. I will try with having two powerlink cable between the converter and the BC2300 as Stefan suggested to see if it helps. Don't have a spare powerlink cable right now, but will get one eventually...

Thanks!

/P

• 05-23-2011 3:54 PM In reply to

Hi Peter,

Just found this thread and was wondering if meanwhile all has been sorted out, would be interesting to know.

Ferdinand

BS9000, Beolab 3000, Beocenter 7002, RL60.2, beo4, BV10

• 05-24-2011 4:12 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Ferdinand,

No, but I haven't tried Stefans suggestion to get an extra beolink cable ( having one directly from the 2300 and one via the splitter)
    I guess that will do the trick..but I haven't tested it though. I settle for using my BEO4 and pressing "CD" when i want to use it instead..

/Peter

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)