in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-22-2011 5:19 AM by mogens. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-18-2011 1:16 PM

• pepps
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2009
    • Faversham, Kent
    • Posts 51
    • Silver Member

Beogram 5005 RIAA built-in

Hello everyone,

While Axel refurbs my MMC4 I'd like to investigate the possibility of adding an RIAA pre-amp to the 5005. Ultimately I'm donating this deck to my Dad for him to use with his Beomaster 3500 and Beovox 3702s.

I've read many threads on here regarding such matters, and would like to know if anyone has successfully added an RIAA pre-amp to a Beogram, specifically if anyone has added one "on the inside".
    By adding the pre-amp on the inside I hope to preserve the remote control options available through Datalink.

First question: will the remote controls for the deck function with the Beomaster 3500 and Beolink 1000?
    Second question: is it worth adding the RIAA stage inside the deck before the actual 'output stage'? Could this work?
    Third question: if it's not possible to add an RIAA pre-amp on the inside, could I take the DIN plug apart and isolate the datalink wire and bypass an external RIAA pre-amp before reconnecting datalink on the other side of the RIAA pre-amp prior to its connection with the Beomaster?

(Question 3 sounds muddled - apologies. Hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say)

• 04-18-2011 1:41 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram 5005 RIAA built-in

pepps:

Hello everyone,

While Axel refurbs my MMC4 I'd like to investigate the possibility of adding an RIAA pre-amp to the 5005. Ultimately I'm donating this deck to my Dad for him to use with his Beomaster 3500 and Beovox 3702s.

I've read many threads on here regarding such matters, and would like to know if anyone has successfully added an RIAA pre-amp to a Beogram, specifically if anyone has added one "on the inside".
    By adding the pre-amp on the inside I hope to preserve the remote control options available through Datalink.

First question: will the remote controls for the deck function with the Beomaster 3500 and Beolink 1000?
    Second question: is it worth adding the RIAA stage inside the deck before the actual 'output stage'? Could this work?
    Third question: if it's not possible to add an RIAA pre-amp on the inside, could I take the DIN plug apart and isolate the datalink wire and bypass an external RIAA pre-amp before reconnecting datalink on the other side of the RIAA pre-amp prior to its connection with the Beomaster?

(Question 3 sounds muddled - apologies. Hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say)

There was a time when I was selling a low cost pre-amp and an adapter to do just what you are looking to do in question 3.

I gave up in the end as most of the modern B&O stuff does not impliment datalink anyway.

I still use one with my test set up. I use a pre-amp from www.phonopreamps.com into a Beomaster 6500 when testing non RIAA built in decks. The datalink works fine as does earth continuity to maintain low hum. If you choose their model with adjustable output you will be able to compensate somewhat for the lower than usual output from MMC cartridges.

I am sure that steve@soundsheavenly will make you a similar set of cables if you tell him what you are looking to do.

He will also sell you a pre-amp although my phonopreamps one is better, in my opinion!

Regards Graham

• 04-18-2011 2:07 PM In reply to

• pepps
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2009
    • Faversham, Kent
    • Posts 51
    • Silver Member

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'll check out some pre-amp options closer to home than across the pond - thanks for the link though.
    So I should be able to isolate the Datalink wire while the 'sound' wires are fed through a pre-amp? Cool.

• 04-18-2011 2:37 PM In reply to

Be aware that the output from MMC cartridges is about half of that from most conventional moving magnet designs.

The end result is that to achieve the same amount of sound from the speakers requires the volume on the Beomaster to be turned well up. All well and good but I find that the hum generated from mains powered low cost pre amps is unacceptable at the volume settings required.

I evaluated many low cost pre-amps, none passed my aural hum test, so I found the one that I now use.

Battery preamps are better because they generate less hum but there is a need remember to switch the device off after use. Hardly convenient.

Ultimately I suggest that you sell the 5005 and get a Beogram 3500, 4500, 6500 or 7000 which will all work just fine with the Beomaster 3500 and save you all the mucking about!!!

Regards Graham

• 04-22-2011 5:19 AM In reply to

• mogens
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-21-2008
    • Posts 1
    • Silver Member

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)