in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-07-2011 3:41 AM by jimbo1941. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-06-2011 12:01 PM

beomaster 1600/1703 tuner amplifier

I have a problem with the sliders that control bass treble and balance. They dont move when asked to do so by pressing the relevant control. I am not sure how these sliders work? The volume slider seems to be engaged all the time. Is this correct? Does anyone have a copy of the service manual for this unit.There would appear to be two 1600 tuner amps this is the 1703 and not the other one which is totally different. Could someone explain the operation of the sliders? Thank You.

Jim

• 05-06-2011 4:04 PM In reply to

Re: beomaster 1600/1703 tuner amplifier

Where are you? Never seen a 1600 in the flesh - I don't think they sold it in the UK. It is the FM only version of the BM1700 T1701 - the service manual for that can be found here . I don't have a user manual at the moment (If anyone has one...) 

These are quite spendid looking devices and in some ways are a continuation of the design style of the Beomaster 6000 quad but with somethings better and some worse!

Much better is the glass top panel instead of the easily scratched perspex.

However the 1700 was an indirect coupled receiver and also has the dreaded tractor controls. These are operated by manual clutches - you press the relevant key down and then use the tractor control. As you have discovered, the clutches are nasty plastic devices which slip with age. You can take these apart quite easily and a good clean can help a bit. I have had a couple of these - quite fun and a stunning design - just not so good to actually use. The 1700 cassette player is also rare and matches the system quite well.

• 05-06-2011 4:24 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Peter :

I have had a couple of these - quite fun and a stunning design - just not so good to actually use.

That is possibly the best & most succinct of any write up I've ever seen PeterLaughing

I keep toying with the idea of selling on my BM1700 but cannot bring myself to do it for those very reasons (plus I also know that in the not too distant future it will become true collectors item). I use it every day connected to my PC with some CX50's & it works really well.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-06-2011 4:38 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:
    I keep toying with the idea of selling on my BM1700 but cannot bring myself to do it for those very reasons (plus I also know that in the not too distant future it will become true collectors item).

Agreed. I have the matching BM/BC1600 sitting on a shelf for a "one of those days" project. One of the beauties is that they have to be about the easiest to get into and simplest (excepting the clutches) Beo ever.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-06-2011 5:45 PM In reply to

I agree - open them up and there are rolling acres inside! The exact opposite of the BM 2400! I do like the bonnet stay feature - makes you realise that these are made to last and be serviced. If only the clutch mechanism was better - I remember Beomuse described changing the tractors to a more sturdy mechanism.

The Beomaster 6000 has a not dissimilar clutch system but it seems better made and is electronic . Now that is possibly the most crowded beomaster of them all! I would suggest that it is also probably the least reliable!

• 05-06-2011 6:40 PM In reply to

I have a Beomaster 1600 user manual comlete with the fold out electrical diagrams. I have 3 (1is a donar) and the other two are ..... one of these days.

Not much to it.

• 05-07-2011 1:34 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Also one of my favourite designs. You wont find anything like it, not even close.

Check that the tractor belts rotate the driving roller and that the roller still grips
    the spindle that drives the clutch mechanics.
    Inside the mechanical clutch rubber washers perform the coupling from the spindle
    to the flat strings that drives the sliding potentiometers.
    The rubber washers will dry out, wear out and deform. Particularly the one for the volume control
    since it is engaged at all times except when another sound control function is (briefly) used.

I can supply new reproduction rubber washers if you need.

Martin

• 05-07-2011 3:00 AM In reply to

Thank you for all the advice but what I really need is to know how to take the tractor units apart and replace the rubber washers. The previous owner of this appears to have given it a good spraying with something like WD40 which I dont think did it a lot of good.The tractor belts are turning the shaft that drives the clutch mechanism. Do the sliders need lubrication, if so what with, because some of the sliders feel fairly stiff.

Thank you Dillen I might have to take you up on the repro washers

• 05-07-2011 3:27 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The reproduction rubber clutch washers are fairly new reproduction and I'm working
    on instructions for replacing them in the Beomaster 1600 & 1700.
    Hopefully I will soon have something ready with text and photos.
    A new clutch spring with a bit more tension is also being reproduced, currently undergoing prototype testing.

Anyway, you need to take off the whole panel, that's 4 screws and two connectors, and carefully
    free it from the traction roller.
    Then remove the tiny spring at the side of the clutch casing.
    Free the four flat pulling strings from the sliders.
    Remove two round springs, one each end of the clutch casing.
    Then you can take the casing apart.
    For a start, you can swap the volume (leftmost) rubber washer with one of the others (that saw much less use).
    That may buy you a little friction but of course it's neither a perfect nor a lasting solution.

For lubrication, you can spray in a little contact cleaner of the type that also contains a hint of lubrication but
    usually, a good cleaning with cotton buds and contact cleaner will losen up things well.
    It's an akward place to reach, the panels don't come apart any more than this and you may find that pipe cleaners
    work better than cotton buds because they can be bent in suitable angles.

I've never seen WD40 do any good in any B&O. It's good for use on rusty cars though and that's where I use it.

Martin

• 05-07-2011 3:38 AM In reply to

Thank you for your reply peter and yes the BM1700 is very similar to the 1600. At least it shows the bits I am interested in, ie the clutch units, have not checked the circuit yet.

• 05-07-2011 3:41 AM In reply to

Thank you for your quick reply Martin. I will go and attack these clutch units straight after breakfast and let you know how I get on.

Jim

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)