in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-28-2011 4:00 AM by kimchr. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-26-2011 8:38 AM

BEO5 firmware update halted

Hi

I just bought a three year old Beo5 that apparently has never been used and have never had a configuration loaded. With the CT 4.11 I have I tried to get started.

The Beo5 had 1.0a firmware last updated april 2007 and when I finally got the Windows driver to recognize and tried to upload a very simpel config it started updating the firmware. The firmware download was complete, but then it halted. Since then the display only says "No valid Configuration!" And in addition to that is says charging whenever it is connected to the charger og my pc.

Now I can't get Windows or the Config Tool to recognize the Beo5. 

I captured some screenshots of the config tool. One is attached here. I could shift between the "Writing firmware" / "Serialize" tabs but the progress bar didnt move for 20 minutes. I then thought that nothing more would happen and I disconnected the Beo5. Hoping that the FW-upgrade at least was completed. 

The display on the BEO5 was out, but the backlight on the buttons was on. When moving the weel I could here the click sound. I can't get the status screen anymore by clicking Standby+Center.

Is there anyway to go from here or is it a complete write off?

With best wishes, 

Kim

• 05-26-2011 8:52 AM In reply to

Re: BEO5 firmware update halted

Sorry to here about your problem.

As a First step you press and hold the centre button on the Beo5 for about 30 seconds.

Then put it on charge with the charger (not vis the USB) for a while, then try again.

Regards Keith....

• 05-26-2011 2:30 PM In reply to

Thank you for your reply, Keith.

I pressed the centerbutton for 35-40 seconds. The Beo5 turned off after five and I kept pressing the button, though nothing more happend while I was pressing.

I charged it for a couple of hours. The display still only says "No valid Configuration" constantly and "Charging" whenever something is connected, either a PC og the charger. The buttons are backlit and the click-sound is sound when I dial the wheel.

To get in contact with the Beo5, I tried a couple of PC's. XP, Vista, Win7 but none of them will recognize the Beo5 correctly. I read the posts about how to manually install the driver, but it reports, it's not compatible with the hardware.

I'm puzzled by the fact that the first time I connect it to a PC it's recognized as an "Other" unit named Beo5 in the Windows Systems list (I don't know the english name for this System menu). Still the driver is not compatible, either error code 10 or code 28.

When I disconnect the Beo5 and connect again it's typically listed as an unknown usb-device. Still the driver is repported as not compatible, when I try to install it manually.

I had alot of trouble getting a PC to recognize the BEO5 before the firmware update too. The fact that the  fully charged battery discharged in a few minutes did not help. I think the rapid discharge may have been a factor in the firmware update incident. Now it seems it does not discharge so quickly anymore.

I hope anyone has an advice for me. Otherwise I think I'll have to pay a dealer a visit to see if they can get in contact with it. Alternatively if anyone in the Copenhagen area have a working Beo5 driver I would love to see if my Beo5 can be reached at all.

Thank you in advance, regards

Kim 

• 05-27-2011 10:20 AM In reply to

I have good news about this subject.

A very kind Beoworld member PM'ed me and offered to share his advice over the phone. Thanks to his knowledge I managed to wake the Beo5 and load a configuration.

My Beo5 is one of the very first units produced and it apparently can be particularly picky about the usb connection. The trick that did it for me was to 1) power-off the beo5 by pressing and holding center button 2) hold on to alu-ball while placing the beo5 in the charger connected to the PC.

My Beo5 was immediately recognized by the config tool and while firmly holding on to my ball, I managed to download the config ( and update the firmware ).

Worked like a charm. The only really odd thing is, that the Beo5 seemed to have forgotten it's serial number. It was recognized by the config tool as "12345678". However when looking in the info menu now, it still has it's original number.

I am really pleased with the help I got in this forum and so happy that I now have a working Beo5. 

Thank you.

• 05-27-2011 11:17 AM In reply to

I am very pleased you managed to get your Beo5 working.

There was an issue with the serial number in early versions of the Beo5, but I had thought it came up with 10000100 rather than the number you have received using the Configuration Tool.

Can you confirm what firmware version the Beo5 says is loaded into your Beo5. To do this press the CENTRE button and RED dot at the same time, then press INFO on the screen.

Regards Keith....

• 05-28-2011 2:11 AM In reply to

It now reports firmware version 1.45a.

I have not gotten much further since the update. It seems the battery still discharges very quickly (approx. 5 minutes) after being removed from the charger, so that does not leave me with much programming time.

I created a couple of zones and added TV+AUDIO. I see the zones on the zone screen, when I press a zone I can see it light up, but it does not jump to a new menu. Nothing happens. According to the view-tab of the config tool something should happen when I press e.g. living room zone. 

Any ideas?

• 05-28-2011 4:00 AM In reply to

OK, my mistake about the issue with the screen not responding, when I try to click a button. I didn't realize how hard I actually have to press to activate a button.

In my opinion it's very counter intuitive that you can see a button get activated by the slightest touch but you have to press it really hard to actually "click" it. 

I guess I can now finally get started on some real programming!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)