in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-09-2011 4:03 AM by Ennet. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-08-2011 2:06 PM

Pioneer adopts Airplay (just an example)

I have no desire to be beaten up as an Apple Fan Boy (and yes, I did like the iStone joke in the other thread).

But I thought this was an interesting example of the art of the possible ... just take a few minutes to watch the video.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/08/pioneer-embraces-airplay-and-ios-apps-with-new-vsx-1021-receiver/

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 03-09-2011 4:03 AM In reply to

• Ennet
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-09-2009
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Re: Pioneer adopts Airplay (just an example)

I also have no desire to be beaten up, nor to beat up either Airplay or B&O. Smile  However, it's fascinating what kind of traction and attention Apple is getting by reinventing something that has been available for years in the form of DLNA.

My phone, my PC and my media player all support DLNA, so the ability to push media from one device to another isn't new - it's actually working very well. Why hasn't there been any "B&O bashing" for not implementing DLNA in their products over the previous years?

The obvious answer is that DLNA hasn't gained any traction or popularity; few people know about it and device makers have done a lousy job promoting it. Apple brings it's entire ecosystem to the table, but they also bring a proprietary technology that others have to license and that essentially mimics what's already available in an more open standard. Again, I don't mean to bash anyone and it may very well be that Airplay is better than DLNA. It's just that it's amazing what power Apple has to popularize something and at the same time make it seem like a revolutionizing invention of their own!

Regards,
    Mattias

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)