in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-17-2007 12:19 PM by Alex. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-17-2007 9:58 AM

Beomaster 6500 vs. 7000

Last summer I bought a Beosystem/Beomaster 7000 with the three other units being in the 6500 family.

This summer I came across a seller with a Beomaster 6500, and thought I should make a set with units of one model -- freeing the 7000 to serve as a stand-alone amplifier for my computer.
    Some may also remember that when I got my Beolab 5000 from Classic Audio I was quite convinced it outplayed my Beomaster 7000 -- putting that down to the Beolab having been completely refurbished with numerous parts replaced, while the Bm7000 had done service since it was first assembled.

Yesterday evening I got the Bm6500 through the door.

Connected the wayward Beomaster to its brothers and sisters and fired up the now complete Beosystem 6500.
    With my Beolink 5000 in hand I checked the sound settings. Horror!
    The seller had set the Bm6500 with LOUDNESS ON, and with the BASS pushed all the way up (6+), and to compensate had also pushed the TREBLE all the way up. At least the BALANCE was balanced.
    All settings were immediately jogged to neutral. 

I let the Bm6500 warm up before I sat down to listen. I'd been quite happy with the sound from my Bm7000, and was curious as to what I was going to hear.
    Well - I discovered the R-channel on the mutable circuit is mute, and guess this is due to the known troubles with the muting device. Can't find a service manual, but will investigate this. (Any advice is welcome).

Switched to the twin, not mutable circuit and had sound coming through both channels. Spent a little time making certain that the two channels were balanced, since the mute channel on the other circuit could have a variety of causes. The unit looked mint on the outside, but for all I knew it had Coca-Cola inside. But things sounded OK, so I got ready to listen.

Hey! This amp goes deeper than my Bm7000.
    It goes higher.
    Better dynamics - even a touch more detail!
    Not imagining this - hooked up to the Bm7000 for a direct comparison, and yes - the 6500 was simply richer and more precise.
    I guess this supports my suspicion that these units will "age" differently - probably dependent upon how much they have been used, and where. I will now be sending my Bm7000 off for an upgrade. Will be fun to compare the two again afterwards.

Again - any tips on how to wake up the silent R-channel on the mutable circuit will be well received. 

• 07-17-2007 10:13 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Beomaster 6500 vs. 7000

Interesting!

I have owned both and there was no descernible difference as far as I could tell. I'm pretty sure they were identical products barring the RDS which was fitted to the later BM7000. Maybe it is just down to the amount of use/abuse each have suffered?

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-17-2007 10:19 AM In reply to

Medogsfat:

Interesting!
    Maybe it is just down to the amount of use/abuse each have suffered?

Chris.

That's what I think. The units are supposed to be identical, with the exception of the RDS. Beo_Bogener in the Workshop has some comments on this, and he's inside them redoing them all the time, so he should know.

I'm certain it's different "wear-and-tear" that accounts for the richer output from the 6500, and that they were both the same when they left B&O in their day. I'm not talking night and day, but it's enough to have me sit up and notice details in music I know well.

• 07-17-2007 10:22 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

soundproof:

............... Can't find a service manual, but will investigate this. (Any advice is welcome).

Isn't this it???Erm

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-17-2007 10:23 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

That IS interesting!

Is it more, or less of the wear and tear that enables it to have a richer sound?

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-17-2007 10:30 AM In reply to

Puncher:
    soundproof:

............... Can't find a service manual, but will investigate this. (Any advice is welcome).

Isn't this it???Erm

Hmmm - went looking, and just couldn't find it. You're a better hunter. (And it's not as if I know how to use a Service Manual to fix the problem!)

• 07-17-2007 10:32 AM In reply to

philipsmz333:

That IS interesting!

Is it more, or less of the wear and tear that enables it to have a richer sound?

I have no idea. But I can make some guesses, based upon previous experiences. If the unit has been worked hard, at loud volumes, it will have been running hotter. Capacitors will have dried out, both due to time and such heavy use. Could also be a function of placement, air circulation/humidity where it's been used, etc.
    For all I know the 6500 could even have been in the shop and had some parts replaced ...

They do have different sound characteristics. 

• 07-17-2007 12:04 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The later BeoMaster 6500s can be upgraded with an RDS board I believe, to bring them up to spec to do everything the 7000 will do.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-17-2007 12:17 PM In reply to

Alex:

The later BeoMaster 6500s can be upgraded with an RDS board I believe, to bring them up to spec to do everything the 7000 will do.

The RDS I consider something I don't need.

Want to do the upgrade Beo_Bogener recommends in Workshop, though. He has some nice suggestions both for the BGCD and the Beomaster.

• 07-17-2007 12:19 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The RDS board is particularly useless to me, as even when I do get a BeoLink 7000, I will still only be receiving 1 radio station, which is hardly the greatest station to listen to!

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)