in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-22-2011 8:37 PM by Evan. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-20-2011 4:08 PM

Compulsive purchasing.

I'm sure I am not the only one that suffers from the above!

Why do we do it?

Why is that that I can't resist buying classic B&O, even though I don't have the room, or use, for it?

Typical example being my latest acquisition - a Beogram 4000. Wanted one for years after missing my old 4002 - this is fully working and in great condition except for a slightly faded teak front strip... Unfortunately it also comes with a 5000 master/cord/mcp and s40 speakers.

Those extra items aside, I am currently trying to work out how to use the 4000. I have a Beogram 6006 which is in daily use that I am thinking of swapping for the 4000 but it won't match with the rest of the 6000 components (it's also teak and not rosewood like my Beolab 6000 system).

I am trying to cull my large collection of vintage (and unused/useless) B&O stuff, then I go and do this. Such a fool!

Oh well... One of these days I will have a massive clear out. One of these days....

• 02-20-2011 4:24 PM In reply to

Re: Compulsive purchasing.

I call it a beovirus!!

• 02-20-2011 4:27 PM In reply to

Haha! Something like that!

My girlfriend is... 'tolerant' Laughing

• 02-20-2011 4:36 PM In reply to

same for me, I find myself buying other people b&o as gifts now!!  Luckly my mrs likes all the b&o aswell  

• 02-20-2011 4:43 PM In reply to

Haha! That;s alright then!

My cousin is a fellow B&O nut so we kind of trade/swap/look after eachothers stuff.

My missus is pretty much completely indifferent - She is oblivious to pretty much anything electrical!

• 02-20-2011 6:02 PM In reply to

• Andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Melton Mowbray
    • Posts 128
    • Founder

Have the same problem I would love to have a huge room full of classic B&O my problem is I also love vintage pioneer so I have double the problem. My beautiful wife is very tolerant of my habit!!

• 02-20-2011 6:18 PM In reply to

Me and my Father are having the Bug together, it is indeed self-amplifying...

It's not fun seeing all that B&O getting in and out of the house when my Mother demands us to sell some of it...

Got a Beomaster 6000 quad once, she told me to sell, same with a Beogram 4000 a year ago. Pretty annoying when you enjoy collecting the stuff.

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 02-21-2011 4:26 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

I have seriously starting to run out of space! Speakers are the worst as they take up a lot of space. The cupboards of filling up, even have a room with B&O on the floor. Worst of all I've wrapped some non-functioning units and stuck them under beds!! Just found a Beosystem 8000 which I've agreed to buy, why I have no idea. Ok, rock bottom price because the BM doesn't work but the Beogram does and has a cartridge. All mint looking though. I'm going to be in such trouble when it arrives!!

Durban South Africa

• 02-21-2011 4:53 AM In reply to

In another hobby of mine, there is a well known "condition" called G.A.S  ...this is Guitar Aquisition Syndrome.

Rather like seeing a Beothingy on ebay, or ar a boot dale or Second hand shop..... many many people see a nice old XXXX guitar, and they  simply can't walk away ( or resist the click of the mouse), 

Like B&O, if you get the bug, there are some basics...with electric guitars, many players will want to won the "holy trinity" ie, a strat, a tele and a Les Paul....with acoustics, there are 6 & 12 string, small and large bodied etc etc...  there are "project" guitars that need renovation and upgrades....and the vintage guitar market makes even rare, prisitine B&O look like small change.

Last month, despite various acoustic/electric guitars in most rooms, (and a mandolin I can't reallly play on the wall in the home office) I bought a celtic-stye octave mandola from Germany.....WHY ???

It's a cliche but collecting in an almost obsessive way also  seems to be a very male thing....wethere its bikes, electronics, cycles, guitars, stamps, LP's, Collectors Cards, models, coins....whatever.

Obvious exceptions being shoes, bags and clothes that seem to be a largely female obsession (another cliche....but sometimes these are based in general truths)

Seems to me there is a deep down instinct at work, that finds a different focus in diffeent people...but there is a tendancy to hoard things, often in a structured way, based on rarity or a niche interest.

• 02-21-2011 1:29 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Lately I haven't gotten any beo. Not much to be had in my area. It feels like everyone else practically trips over beo in their areas! Laughing

My biggest resistor to my beovirus is my dad - he hates the thought of me spending which I understand, he's not really an audiophile of any sort either, doesn't really appreciate beo.

My mom recently gave in and said "you could be doing worse things with your time/money I guess" as if I needed to have this problem of mine justified!!

Evan

• 02-22-2011 10:14 AM In reply to

Evan:
    Lately I haven't gotten any beo. Not much to be had in my area. It feels like everyone else practically trips over beo in their areas! LaughingMy biggest resistor to my beovirus is my dad - he hates the thought of me spending which I understand, he's not really an audiophile of any sort either, doesn't really appreciate beo.My mom recently gave in and said "you could be doing worse things with your time/money I guess" as if I needed to have this problem of mine justified!!

Yep I agree. It must be that is not really a very spread brand in USA. But imagine what it would be if it were. Beovisions 10 all over in trash bins. Streets full of Beosound 1s and 3s. Beocenters in every corner just waiting for usBig Smile

• 02-22-2011 12:08 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

My wife is the opposite. If i look at a 6 or an 8(which she loathes) she is always egging me on to get a 7-40....and a pair of Beolab 5's!!!!!!!!!

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 02-22-2011 12:45 PM In reply to

I agree...I have no reason why i just aquired a  AV7000 and a Beomaster 5000 with its control panel...NOT SURE Hmm

Beovox RL 60.2, RL 6000, S45-2, CX 50, Cona, Beolink Passive, MCL2P, BM4500, Beosound 1, Beocenter 2500, Beolab 2500, Besound 4000, Beolab 4000, Beocom 6000, A8, Beosystem 1

• 02-22-2011 3:32 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

BeoFab:

Evan:
    Lately I haven't gotten any beo. Not much to be had in my area. It feels like everyone else practically trips over beo in their areas! LaughingMy biggest resistor to my beovirus is my dad - he hates the thought of me spending which I understand, he's not really an audiophile of any sort either, doesn't really appreciate beo.My mom recently gave in and said "you could be doing worse things with your time/money I guess" as if I needed to have this problem of mine justified!!

Yep I agree. It must be that is not really a very spread brand in USA. But imagine what it would be if it were. Beovisions 10 all over in trash bins. Streets full of Beosound 1s and 3s. Beocenters in every corner just waiting for usBig Smile

Oh my! What a place this would be!! We would all be using a mounatin of old BeoVision CRTs to heat our house in the winter. During the summer we would anchor out boats with BeoVision 9s and BeoLab 5s... Beolab 1s and Pentas to prop up our piers and 2nd story decks...

Laughing

Evan

• 02-22-2011 5:37 PM In reply to

sodoi18:

I agree...I have no reason why i just aquired a  AV7000 and a Beomaster 5000 with its control panel...NOT SURE Hmm

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Been there..done that..!!!

I'm not cured of my beovirus just yet, but getting there. 
    I just got rid this year of a full beosystem 5000, 3 pairs of cx100's , 2 pairs of cx50's, one AV7000 and a full beosystem7000 setup.

Only because I'm finally moving up to a beosystem 1, beosound 4000, beoport and a couple of sets of beolab speakers that have been sitting idle in storage for a while. I just don't have the time to tinker much with my toys anymore.... Sad
    I might just crack down and ask a friend to finish installing and setting it all up for me. 

Still have a full beosystem5000 in my office.

And a beomaster 6500 and one AV7000 currently in use and to be sold when the other stuff is installed.

• 02-22-2011 8:37 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

If anyone else is trying to cure themselves of the BeoVirus please mail all Beo to me and I will be sure you are never bothered by it ever again!

Laughing

Evan

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)