in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-21-2011 10:25 AM by burantek. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-19-2011 8:34 PM

DVD 1, Any Good?

Hello, was curious about  peoples thoughts on the B&O dvd 1. Is it any good? i know its quite old now but i have the chance of getting one, was wondering if its still up to standard. Not to compare with modern bluray or anything, just the functions and quality. Should i part with my cash? or just buy a new dvd player. Any information would be gratefull.

Paul.

• 02-19-2011 9:16 PM In reply to

Re: DVD 1, Any Good?

When they work... OK. You will need a BeoVision to pass remote commands. Me? I'd buy a kikoniko BD player.
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 02-20-2011 12:50 AM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

Mine is OUTSTANDING! We control it through the Avant and it is flawless in operation. The picture quality is great and we really like all of the conrol features. One thing that is really nice is that you can remove a DVD with the eject button and the DVD player will not go through the activation mode.

• 02-20-2011 3:41 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

When they were new, I think they were very overpriced. Close to £1000 for a DVD player. Now you can pick them up for around £50 on Ebay in working condition. That has to make it worth buying IMO.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-20-2011 4:24 AM In reply to

Craig:

When they were new, I think they were very overpriced. Close to £1000 for a DVD player. Now you can pick them up for around £50 on Ebay in working condition. That has to make it worth buying IMO.

CraigSmile

I agree 

• 02-20-2011 4:33 AM In reply to

I bought one used about 2 years ago, it worked for a full week I think. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-20-2011 6:13 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Mine works great through my Beovision and via the Beo4 and with a good picture. So much easier than controlling other DVD players via their remotes packed with button you never use!

One thing though, I don't know about other owners, but I did find the player very fussy when attempting to play movies I had burned to DVD.

No problems now though as I always use Windows DVD Maker, which out of countless burning programs I have tried is the only one I have found which does the job sucessfully on both DVD- RW - & DVD - R discs. The only limiting factor with Windows DVD Maker is that it has a maximum of 150 minutes, which is no real drawback and also the program is quite slow.

• 02-20-2011 6:37 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Kokomo:

also the program is quite slow.

If it uses quite a slow burning speed, that may be why you get better results.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-20-2011 7:55 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

It's not the burning speed which is okay I find,  it is the encoding process beforehand which takes the largest part of the whole procedure and therefore extends the total time it takes to complete.

• 02-20-2011 9:33 AM In reply to

I bought mine in October 2005 and it was £750. I'm still using it today. I did notice a considerable improvement in picture quality and I find its sound quality really shines which is good as i've always found DVD rather compressed sounding.

I believe mine is the Pioneer mechanism which makes me rather happy as I believe the earlier ones were Philips. A company ive always regarded as unhighly as toilet water. 

When the player works its fantastic however I really must point out that it doesnt like home recorded DVDs. Ive recorded programmes on friends Toshiba and Philips dvd recorder at normal speed and ive found the DVD1 plays parts and sticks on others etc. Also from day !, it has had a weird bug of repeating a chapter of a film that ive just watched.

The player itself was made in Eastern Europe. I definately wasnt worth the £750 when new more like £200 at the time but you learn I guess.

If you can get one cheap and one that works go for it but you'd be better off with a Pioneer 330 Blu Ray player from SuperFi at £150! A million times better in every possible way!

• 02-20-2011 11:01 AM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

Call your local B&O dealer. It turns out that there are units still floating around the inventories of some the dealers. I purchased a unit for $250US approximately one year ago through my local B&O store and it came with the three year warranty.

• 02-20-2011 1:59 PM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

When they work yes which is ocassionally. Otherwise No. Do youself a favor and buy something else

• 02-20-2011 5:00 PM In reply to

The early Philips ones are very good - when they work! They having an interesting foible which is they can at times revert to their Philips roots and show a Philips screen! The Pioneer ones came later and are fine though not as well made. They could have been quite a bit smaller in both versions, particular the Pioneer. I think the Pioneer menu is better.

Not sure why some people are anti-Philips. Some of B&Os best equipment has a Philips base. The best CD players and the TV sets are two good examples.

• 02-20-2011 8:35 PM In reply to

seems like there are more cons than pros on this machine. Iam sure its a sturdy piece of kit and well made, Just not very elegant i guess and a bit temperamental.

• 02-21-2011 7:29 AM In reply to

I got one with my Avant and am more than happy with it - picture quality is excellent and it always works - I can play recorded DVDs on it from a Panasonic machine.

This player also has a resume feature which is great when your watching a series on DVD as you can pick up where you left off. I would say it is much better than the cheap Philips one I had from Tesco before it!

If you can get one that works for less than £100 I'd say they're a good choice.

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 02-21-2011 10:25 AM In reply to

wigwam:

seems like there are more cons than pros on this machine. Iam sure its a sturdy piece of kit and well made, Just not very elegant i guess and a bit temperamental.

Well, as you are the OP... They are pretty much just a tin box w/ guts thrown in. Not bad looking though!

The key to this: As I mentioned, do you have a BeoVision to pass the remote commands? If not, the cart may be before the horse.

• B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)