in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-18-2011 4:07 PM by Nickyg63. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-17-2011 3:05 AM

• Noah
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2008
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 120
    • Silver Member

Rotten Beolab Penta III midrange

Dear reader

It seems that the midranges of my Penta's are ready to change. I have a few questions cos I never changed anything in my Pentas.

I am wondering what is better. Ordering the original midranges at my B&O dealer and change them or just changing the speaker surrounds? Is it difficult to change and glue these surrounds? Are there different qualities available? Or does anybody know better midranges of an other manufacturer which will fit into the Penta's?

I hope someone can give me a advice. I am glad for every hint.

Best wishes and regards, Noah.

Can someone tell me how to remove the speaker grills of Beolab 1? I tried but I was scared to damage something.;-)

• 01-17-2011 12:58 PM In reply to

Re: Rotten Beolab Penta III midrange

As far as I know the midranges are no longer available. So the only option is to change the speaker surrounds.

• 01-17-2011 1:18 PM In reply to

You're sure?

If ordered them about 3-4 months ago (and got them). They should be available for all those owners in future who has to deal with foamrot. The mids from the Penta I, II and the early III's are all the same.

• 01-17-2011 3:14 PM In reply to

A couple of dealers have told me both that they are available and another dealer told me they aren't!   My dad has replaced his foams last week, a tricky job but all done! 

• 01-17-2011 3:30 PM In reply to

• Keller Igor
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-22-2010
    • St Gallen, Switzerland
    • Posts 4
    • Gold Member

As much as I know the midrange units are available, I changed all 8 on my Pentas few months ago. More or less 60CHF per unit. (went through the B&O dealer in St Gallen)

I would go for this solution, but changing the surrounds is probably fine too if you are patient and have good dexterity.

Current units are made by HAES and it seems they changed the surround material so I guess these won't rot, or at least not as fast.

• 01-17-2011 4:08 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

The "system" shows they are available for immediate order.  

• 01-17-2011 4:41 PM In reply to

Blackrix:

As far as I know the midranges are no longer available. So the only option is to change the speaker surrounds.

I ordered and received some just a month ago. There was quite a wait as there was a  delay but trhey arrived OK.

Regards Graham

• 01-18-2011 3:30 AM In reply to

• Noah
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2008
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 120
    • Silver Member

Thank you all.

I think the availability of the midranges is no problem.

I just read some posts about the speaker surrounds change. There are a few problems around with the size and quality of these new surrounds. They won't fit very well. And the job seems to be difficult too. As i never did that before.

I think I will go for the original B&O midranges. They are quite expensive (CHF60 x 8)! But the investment is worth it. The Penta's are still very good speakers. And I have enought time now cos I just got a pair of wonderful Beolab 1!!Big Smile 

Does anybody know how much the B&O midranges cost in Britain??

• 01-18-2011 4:07 PM In reply to

I think about £25 each!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)