in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-06-2011 4:16 PM by SWISS_2. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-01-2011 12:12 PM

Does the sound quality vary between Beosounds or are the Beolabs the difference?

Hey guys

My BS2300 has stopped playing CDs but everything else is okay. I am unsure if it is worth repairing. Is this a sign of future failure else where?

I am considering buying a new Beosound, I think the Beosound 4. How much difference will there be between the 2300 and 4?

Jay

• 01-01-2011 12:32 PM In reply to

Re: Does the sound quality vary between Beosounds or are the Beolabs the difference?

sorry to hear that :-(

not sure about the answer to your question - I would have thought speakers were the prime determinant - which Beolabs do you use ?

I have a Beosound 4 (with 6000s) but now that I have captured all my CDs as MP3s it now operates as a link room controller rather than an Audio Master :-(

There are many reasons for this:

• we no longer listen to radio like we used to (and no, interestingly, internet radio is not a replacement)
    • the DAB stopped working when Australia changed standards :-(
    • the CD insert and remove process was always traumatic - I was convinced that I would one day ruin a CD by scratching it
    On the other hand the convenience of a set of favourites stored on a large capacity SD card is wonderful and those tracks always sound incredibly rich for some reason !
    I also love the large display which is very useful in a link room operation
    So I wonder if the BS 4 is your ideal replacement, or whether you should capture all your CDs as MP3s or a lossless format, and look at a device like the Beosound 5 or the rumoured Encore ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-01-2011 12:37 PM In reply to

Re: Does the sound quality vary between Beosounds or are the Beolabs the difference?

What is the max capcity 4GB?

I have most of my music digitally. I don't like the BS5 or it's price point.

• 01-01-2011 12:44 PM In reply to

I would of thought it would be the speakers that will make all the difference, especially when playing cd's. maybe a difference with other sources??

• 01-01-2011 12:55 PM In reply to

Sounds to me that the BS5 Encore will be the answer - it will interface with your present computer without the need for the BM5 (and the associated expense) - or get a system that will work with a Beoport - maybe a 3000 or even a BC2 secondhand.

• 01-01-2011 12:59 PM In reply to

Doctor:

- or get a system that will work with a Beoport - maybe a 3000 or even a BC2 secondhand.

That is what drew me to the BS4 also the SD slt would be great for me too.

• 01-01-2011 1:18 PM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

To return to the actual question asked above by the topicstarter; I don't know, but some posters on this site wrote that the Beosound 4 seems to be better sounding as a CD-player then the older-design Beosounds. Which would be an interesting observation, as the Beosound 4 is the most affordable in the productrange today..

• 01-01-2011 1:28 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The sound quality certainly does vary across BeoSounds, I always thought the BeoSound 4 was the better sounding player for CDs to my ears.

FWIW, my CD7000 is actually one of the best digital sources I've listened to...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-01-2011 1:42 PM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

BeoBiker:
    I am unsure if it is worth repairing. Is this a sign of future failure else where?

The first answer is absolutely YES.

Even if You wish to keep it, even if You wish to purchase something else, You need to repair it first, because without the repairment, You can sell the old system for almost nothing.

The answer for the second question is absolutely NO.

All CD mechanism and the lasers have a lifetime, but it does not affect the other parts of Your Beosystem (as You can see it). It's not the first sign of a wreckage (fe. in a car), but it's a simple "oil change".

How much difference will there be between the 2300 and 4?

First of all: Very much difference, because it will be a lot more expensive, mostly, if You wish to replace the speakers also. If You decide to change the Beocenter part only, than it will be far less impressive as a Beosound4 system, and You will lost also the beauty of a full Beosystem immediately.

In short words: I suggest to repair the BS2300 (first) Smile

• 01-01-2011 1:49 PM In reply to

AT:

If You decide to change the Beocenter part only, than it will be far less impressive as a Beosound4 system, and You will lost also the beauty of a full Beosystem immediately.

Sorry, I don't understand this sentence. English isn't my native language.

So the sound quality from a BS4 and BS2300 isn't that different?

I will be running Beolabs 4000.

• 01-01-2011 1:59 PM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

Sorry for my terrible english [:\'(]

IMHO, the sound quality depends on a full system, and not on the CD player only.

So, if You will replace the Beocenter part ONLY (Beocenter 2300->Beosound 4), then You will change the CD player ONLY in Your system as the Beolab 4000s are active speakers with the built in amplifiers!

This means, IMHO there will be surely not as big difference in the sound quality as much You will pay for this solution.

• 01-01-2011 2:26 PM In reply to

Thanks.

Does anyone else have any different opinions?

Jay

• 01-01-2011 3:05 PM In reply to

By far,the differences in sound are down to the speakers used. Notice  that I did not say sound quality!

Having listened to most types of B&O CD players I can honestly say that I cannot notice much difference, with the exception of the CD50, which does sound warmer and more analogue. I have not heard the CDX series so cannot comment.

Beware that you don't let your ears be governed or mis-led, in part, by what your eyes see!!

Regards Graham

• 01-01-2011 6:39 PM In reply to

Much is up to the dac used. The Beosounds/centers have the pre-amp stage, so there will be differences in the sound.

Now how much and will it be better/worse is much up to personal preference.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-01-2011 7:30 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

If you're spending £1500+ on a speaker/amplifier combo (ie, BeoLab 4000s), I'd want to feed it the best signal possible!

In much the same way you wouldn't feed your BeoVision 7-55 signals from a VHS machine, I wouldn't feed your BeoLab 4000s, 3s etc... the signals from a computer's built in $4 sound chip, through a preamp to which you've made no considerations as far as sound quality goes. The final sound which reaches your ears is the sum of EVERY part of your sound system, right from the original source of the music (CD, vinyl, MP3 etc...), through the bit which adjusts the volume (the preamp built into BeoSounds, BeoVisions etc...), the speakers, how the speakers are mounted, the acoustics of the room in which you listen, and where in the room you listen from.

Usually, the bad or mediocre sounding systems I listen to are driven with bad sources. I've heard some really amazing kit sound absolutely rubbish because it's not being fed a good sound in the first place. This is why you *should* take the sound of a BeoSound or BeoCenter into consideration when choosing your system. Not that any of the BeoSounds are poor performers, they're all very good, but some are much better than others!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-02-2011 2:37 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

-duplicate post-

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 01-02-2011 2:38 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

The sound quality certainly does vary across BeoSounds, I always thought the BeoSound 4 was the better sounding player for CDs to my ears.

FWIW, my CD7000 is actually one of the best digital sources I've listened to...

Correct! The BS4 has excellent sound. There was a huge difference when i tried a Beosound Ouverture (also like the 2300) after using the BS4 for so long. Same also applies to the sound from older beovisions. I have just moved house and was smacking myself in the head when i realised that i had been missing out on so much detail from Beolab 9's through a Beovision 3 as oppossed to the BC2 it's all with.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 01-02-2011 5:37 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Beobike;

I just saw your post. Apparently I am just ahead of your experience by 2 months.

Our BS 3200 began having clamper problems in September or October. It would not open  to accept a CD, but the masterlink and radio features worked fine. This unit works primarily as an HTPC sound source.

I travelled out of town for a month in November on business, thought about the BS 3200 repair time versus it's age, and decided to purchase a Beosound 4 in Europe. For our North American members this is a DAB+ model.

The old BS 3200 was unplugged between a pair of BL 4000 speakers, and was " simply " replaced by the new BS 4.  ( Plugging the connections inside the base of the BS 4 is not quite as simple as with the back of the BS 3200 ). The BS 3200 remains valuable to us for another 220-240V location, and thusly entered the repair shop.

SUBJECTIVE SOUND QUALITY:

Same ear-level speaker location, and the same sitting location for us on the couch. 

My wife and I notice a distictive crispness and clarity to Radio, SD card, and N.RADIO+ N.MUSIC. Adjusting the bass and loudness up to max on the BS 4, this clarity remains.  

I would offer that the experience is similar from watching & listening to television using RCA connections, or standard broadcasting, and then performing the same viewing and listening using HDMI. A very good digital sound improvement, with emphasis on treble clarity. We can distinguish more instruments in certain layered music ( L' Orfeo - Jordi Savall ) than we could before.

ADDITONAL:

We have Masterlinked the house, with BL 2000 speakers in most rooms. One can now listen to different sources in rooms, from that playing on the BS 4 unit. Thus upstairs we can access Radio, when the BS 4 is playing SD music below in the Living Room.

The BS 4 graphics can be read easier, and the design looks very good on glass, teak, or granite. This is a relatively new unit for B&O, and there are more features or options possible according to the Beocare representative I have spoken to.

I am happy with the purchase, my wife is over the purchase shock ( Aside from a subdural hematoma or two, I have recovered ) and I would reccommend this unit with any stereo speaker combination as a noticeable improvement.

• 01-06-2011 4:43 AM In reply to

I wonder how it would sound when the 2300 comes back from the repair shop.

• 01-06-2011 11:54 AM In reply to

• Teletom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

Quote: "My wife and I notice a distictive crispness and clarity to Radio, SD card, and N.RADIO+ N.MUSIC. Adjusting the bass and loudness up to max on the BS 4, this clarity remains."

Thanks Swiss for sharing your impressions regarding your new BS4 and the 'your old' BS3200.

I am also considering to change my BS3000 for the BS4. I also felt that, at least soundwise, one should notice a (considerable) improvement with the BS4.

You mention improvements with Radio, SD card, and N.RADIO+ N.MUSIC. Do you also experience the same when playing CD's?

Johan 

• 01-06-2011 4:16 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Teletom;

A good question.

Not played CD much since the Beosound 4 purchase, and the one we did use to test it was a CD-R of downloaded music. I'll try a few of store purchased CD's and let you know how they sound.

I would say we spend the majority of time using N.RADIO, then N.MUSIC, followed by SD card music. We have a few good FM stations nearby, but alas none with DAB here in the Alps. Unless I were to relocate to the UK, that feature may never be tested.

Regarding the Beosound 3200:  The good news is the unit only required new belts and a service cleaning.  About 250 CHF, much less than the original estimate. It will however be returned to it's original box and packing, and then enjoy a functional, but well-deserved sunny retirement this year in Fortaleza, Brasil. 

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)