in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-31-2010 1:02 PM by stefan. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-31-2010 10:16 AM

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

A couple questions (long)

I recently bought a BV8-40 and am now planning to reprogram my Beo5.  I finished my last programming about 2 years ago so I haven't really been paying attention to Beo5 developments... although I did browse this forum last night to come up to speed on the current state of things...  I have a couple questions:

1)  In the beo5 config tool, there are BV8s with PUC and without.  There is no BV8-40 with PUC, but there is a BV8-32 with PUC.  One of the reasons for reprogramming my Beo5 is so the BV8 can control my DVD player via PUC.  What exactly does the PUC designation in the config tool mean?  Would it be better to specify the smaller TV with PUC vs. my BV8-40 without PUC.  The main difference I've seen is that when I add my STB to the BV8-32 PUC, the config tool makes it controlled by "TV", whereas with the BV8-40 (no PUC), the config tool places it under "DTV".  I currently have my TV setup so the STB is configured for "TV".  Is there any meaningful difference between TV and DTV?  I prefer to use "TV" as that is most obvious to the rest of the family / visitors.  Is there a downside to choosing a different model BV8 in the config tool than what I actually have?

2)  Do we know when and where the 3.87 battery drain bug appears?  I saw a mention of it being related to RAW codes.  I use RAW codes to control my STB, and will probably continue to do so even after I reprogram my Beo5 because I use the "skip forward"/"skip backward" buttons a lot (to move forward or back 30 seconds in a recording).  Does this mean I will have the battery drain problem, or is its appearance not so simple?  I'm currently on a very old version (2.2?  I didn't upgrade because I was using macros that included both 3rd party and Beo equipment), but it works.  I'd hate to upgrade and have it not work, or work with problems.  Upgrading to the prior version doesn't help because only 3.87 has my DVD player listed (an LG BluRay).

3)  Not really a Beo5 problem (as it happens with the Beo4), but the BV8-40 is not very responsive to IR when I first turn it on.  After 5-10 minutes of operation, everything is fine, but during the first minute or so, it accepts almost no commands (except sporadically when the remote is placed directly in front of the IR receiver), and then steadily improves.  It is worse at night (when the room is dim) than the day (when the room is light).  Has anybody else experienced this?  The installer thought it could be caused by the fact that the TV is installed in a hole where a small bit of the side is blocked, and light from the panel was reflecting back into the IR receiver and "overwhelming" it.  I cannot change the shape of the cabinet without a major remodel.  Any ideas?

4)  I have a Beosound5 so the Beo6 is very interesting.  Maybe I should just wait for this to reprogram?  I see it mentioned that there is a new config tool that supports both Beo5 and Beo6...  Any inside info on when the Beo6 will actually hit the dealers... and is it safe to assume that the Beo5/6 config tool will also be found on the net eventually?

Thanks in advance,

Stan

• 12-31-2010 1:02 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Re: A couple questions (long)

Stan:

1)  In the beo5 config tool, there are BV8s with PUC and without.  There is no BV8-40 with PUC, but there is a BV8-32 with PUC.  One of the reasons for reprogramming my Beo5 is so the BV8 can control my DVD player via PUC.  What exactly does the PUC designation in the config tool mean?  Would it be better to specify the smaller TV with PUC vs. my BV8-40 without PUC.  The main difference I've seen is that when I add my STB to the BV8-32 PUC, the config tool makes it controlled by "TV", whereas with the BV8-40 (no PUC), the config tool places it under "DTV".  I currently have my TV setup so the STB is configured for "TV".  Is there any meaningful difference between TV and DTV?  I prefer to use "TV" as that is most obvious to the rest of the family / visitors.  Is there a downside to choosing a different model BV8 in the config tool than what I actually have?

Should make no difference, unless BV8-32 and BV8-40 has different features. If you configure your STB as TV, the config. tool will automatically assign the source correctly in PandP mode (ah, there is no PandP in BV8, right?) and in other zones (linkrooms).

Stan:

2)  Do we know when and where the 3.87 battery drain bug appears?  I saw a mention of it being related to RAW codes.  I use RAW codes to control my STB, and will probably continue to do so even after I reprogram my Beo5 because I use the "skip forward"/"skip backward" buttons a lot (to move forward or back 30 seconds in a recording).  Does this mean I will have the battery drain problem, or is its appearance not so simple?  I'm currently on a very old version (2.2?  I didn't upgrade because I was using macros that included both 3rd party and Beo equipment), but it works.  I'd hate to upgrade and have it not work, or work with problems.  Upgrading to the prior version doesn't help because only 3.87 has my DVD player listed (an LG BluRay).

I`m using 3.87 and my Beo5 never suffered from battery drain bug. All my devices (BV, BS, PUC, Lintronic) are controled directly via Beo IR codes.

When I used an earlier version I made a PUC for my LG BD player by myself...Should also be possible to integrate the LG file in earlier config. tool versions...

Stan:

3)  Not really a Beo5 problem (as it happens with the Beo4), but the BV8-40 is not very responsive to IR when I first turn it on.  After 5-10 minutes of operation, everything is fine, but during the first minute or so, it accepts almost no commands (except sporadically when the remote is placed directly in front of the IR receiver), and then steadily improves.  It is worse at night (when the room is dim) than the day (when the room is light).  Has anybody else experienced this?  The installer thought it could be caused by the fact that the TV is installed in a hole where a small bit of the side is blocked, and light from the panel was reflecting back into the IR receiver and "overwhelming" it.  I cannot change the shape of the cabinet without a major remodel.  Any ideas?

As far as I know IR power of the Beo5 is adjustable as it is in the new Beo4. Maybe worth a try...

Stan:

4)  I have a Beosound5 so the Beo6 is very interesting.  Maybe I should just wait for this to reprogram?  I see it mentioned that there is a new config tool that supports both Beo5 and Beo6...  Any inside info on when the Beo6 will actually hit the dealers... and is it safe to assume that the Beo5/6 config tool will also be found on the net eventually?

Thanks in advance,

Stan

Yes, I`m waiting for the new version 4.11 too. And for Beo6 and the BM5 update.... I`m sure the new tool 4.11 will be available somewhere in the endless digital universe....

Stefan

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)