in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-14-2010 4:26 AM by soundproof. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-12-2010 8:26 AM

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

iTunes 10 ATROCIOUS sound quality?!

Just wondering if anybody has noticed just how awful iTunes 10 sounds? I'm running 10.1 and when comparing iTunes playback to the same files in QuickTime Player, the two sound completely different! iTunes almost sounds mono, boomy, and worst of all, it clips! The stereo image is just completely destroyed, and the mids lose all their open-ness.

Strangely, when I play iTunes out into an AirPort Express at the same time as my computer output (a Firewire sound interface), the problem disappears.

Currently, I'm running an AirPort Express into the S/PDIF input on my soundcard and routing it to the speakers as a workaround, but it's less than ideal!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-12-2010 9:11 AM In reply to

Re: iTunes 10 ATROCIOUS sound quality?!

I'd watch yourself badmouthing Apple around here. It'll be hayforks and torches.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-12-2010 10:17 AM In reply to

I would have to agree with Trip. I know that will be a surprise. (sarcasm intended) To merely suggest an Apple product could be less than perfect will be considered blasphemy around here.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 12-12-2010 11:01 AM In reply to

Very strange. I use a MacBook and i've been using iTunes since 2003 and never had any problems! I 've been using Macs since 1995 though. I really hate Windows unfortunately have to use it at work and God it's confusing lol!

• 12-12-2010 11:24 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Well I've been a Mac user exclusively for a few years now too, for all the right reasons IMO, but this latest flaw in iTunes is really, REALLY doing my nut in.

It seems it's not bit-perfect, and actually seems to be re-sampling the audio on the fly too (it phases in and out when played at the same time as audio from QuickTime). EXTREMELY irritating! I used to be able to pass DTS audio out of iTunes when the volume slider was at full, now I can't.

My iMac is now my main source of music and it's been perfect up until version 10. iTunes 9.x and previous versions haven't caused any issues for me sonically...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-12-2010 11:29 AM In reply to

Alex,

A known issue for some users for months and still present w/ neither a definitive reason, nor absolute fix.

Have you been thru your MIDI settings? Some have found relief re-sampling there.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-12-2010 12:11 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

"Well I've been a Mac user exclusively for a few years now too, for all the right reasons IMO, but this latest flaw in iTunes is really, REALLY doing my nut in." Be cool young man, or you will soon think Prince Charles' last cab ride was a jog in the park. They are already lining up.
  • 12-12-2010 12:35 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Hahahahahah.....I have to say I am shocked to hear that there is something wrong with an Apple product. I don't hate Apple at all but its nice to see Apple on the other side of the fence for once, specifically on this forrum.

Durban South Africa

• 12-12-2010 12:46 PM In reply to

iTunes uses QuickTime for playback, so if there's a difference between a file opened in QT and one played from iTunes, it could be that your upgrade reset your equalizer settings ... in other words, engaged the EQ.

Also check your setting in Audio MIDI Setup.

People are way too touchy on Apple's behalf here. Big Smile

The signal that's sent by WiFi to your AE is without any adjustment in volume or EQ, but what goes by wire out of your computer may be affected by those settings, and that could explain the difference (I'd also check that volume equalization, etc. isn't on.)

I'm using 10.0.1 on my media center, but I'm porting via FireWire, no degradation of the sound.

Cheers.

• 12-12-2010 1:36 PM In reply to

Using 10.1 and have no problems with my antique PowerMac.

I know I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, but the unpleasant tone of some of the posts on here does surprise me somewhat. I have reviewed a number of the threads to which some seem to have taken umbrage and my only thought would be to advise some people to grow up. This is an internet forum for people who love and use B&O. The site seems to have a healthy balance of positive and critical threads, which I am sure B&O find most illuminating. They may well not agree with some criticism and may feel that some of the views voiced are not relevant to their core customers, but I am sure they would not wish to see censorship. It has been generally accepted that a much larger percentage of B&O users use Apple computer products than the general population and hence the preponderance of threads relating to integrating these in a B&O system. The fact that the Mac area of this site has three times the number of posts of the PC area would also seem relevant as does the fact that the BeoSound 5 Encore will be compatible with Mac.

I confess that the majority of posts regarding Apple tend to pass me by - I use my Mac as a music server with a Beolink PC and am perfectly happy to leave it at this - but I simply look for threads that do interest me instead of moaning about the actions of others. It is a bit much to complain about the content of a forum and limit oneself to this rather than starting useful and interesting alternative threads.

• 12-12-2010 4:44 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

Doesn't that thread belong in the Beo-Mac Forum?

Anyways - there are several settings in iTunes having huge impact on the sound - you might check if you changed them. First thing should be to deactivate the equalizer, next thing to have a close look in the settings menu...

Regarding the Apple bashing:

I am using Apple as my sole computer System for 10 years now, add to it iPhones, iPods and and iPad.

I can tell you, that these systems are far from perfect - but if you do want to have as little Problems as possible: I (!) just do not see an alternative. If you know a perfect (!) computer (!) system that always works perfect please tell me what it is: I'll buy one in a second.

Regarding multiroom-audio: Apple is just the cheapest solution to mimic a high end system - in the end you get what you pay for. It somehow works (most of the time), but (in the moment) it is the cheapest way to go.

• 12-13-2010 5:15 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I've noticed clipping since i updated mine too, is there anyway of reversing the update

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 12-13-2010 5:25 AM In reply to

I don't use iTunes on my laptop much, have the latest iTunes version, and EQ was set on. So at some point it must have been turned on from an update. I wouldn't have it on. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-13-2010 5:26 AM In reply to

Have a look here, Alex. Seems to be affecting some users with RME and Metric Halo interfaces, among others:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/549883-itunes-10-1-ruined-playback-sound-totally.html

• 12-13-2010 6:17 AM In reply to

Tim:

Strictly speaking this thread started with zero B&O content, so it would rather belong to an Apple forum and not here at all - like do many of the recent  threads which frankly speaking bore me out of my skull. Thank god there are still the vintage products...

I'm not going to complain though, I've used this forum for off-topic stuff myself - simply because this seems to be the most knowledgeable and civil forum I've ever been to. Hope it stays that way.

-mika

• 12-13-2010 8:06 AM In reply to

Must confess I didn't check whether the query was in the correct forum. I am hereby formally withdrawing my helpful suggestions in recognition of this terrible faux pas.

In reparation I have dismantled my BeoWorld "Most Valuable Contributor" award and hope this will serve as sufficient demonstration of my contrition. I promise to provide assistance in the future only upon having received proper assurances that "Alles ist Korrekt."

Cheers!

• 12-13-2010 8:25 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Tim:

LOL - WikiLeaks for Apple's "Geschuezte Werkstaetten" 

• 12-13-2010 10:46 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

soundproof:
    Must confess I didn't check whether the query was in the correct forum. I am hereby formally withdrawing my helpful suggestions in recognition of this terrible faux pas.

In reparation I have dismantled my BeoWorld "Most Valuable Contributor" award and hope this will serve as sufficient demonstration of my contrition. I promise to provide assistance in the future only upon having received proper assurances that "Alles ist Korrekt."

Cheers!

Is there an emoticom for over-react? If a thread belongs somewhere else, I am sure the mods would move it, though "I love Apple" threads tend to be sacrosanct.
  • 12-13-2010 2:21 PM In reply to

I am sure Soundproof was trying out his English sense of humour. I fail to see how 'iTunes 10 Atrocious sound quality' can really be seen as an 'I love Apple' thread though.

I will be interested to hear how Alex has got on playing with his settings.

• 12-13-2010 3:35 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

Doctor:

I am sure Soundproof was trying out his English sense of humour. I fail to see how 'iTunes 10 Atrocious sound quality' can really be seen as an 'I love Apple' thread though.

1. I guess English humour tends to be SO subtle to my uncultured mind, that I let the preponderance of emoticons guide me as to whether or not something is funny. 2. After years of seeing "I love Apple" on the main board, I was frankly shocked that anyone was concerned that this thread existed.
  • 12-13-2010 4:59 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Doctor:

Well I've put a dummy minijack plug in the output of an airport express, and I'm streaming music to both the airport and my soundcard. A workaround which solves the problem, but causes one or two others. Better than the sound of iTunes though! Peter, are you running iTunes 10.1? Have you experienced any issues?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-13-2010 5:49 PM In reply to

Mine seems completely fine. Using Grado headphones , stereo is fine and no clipping. My set up of computer is very simple though - maybe you have some sort of software clash. Tried all sorts of tracks but no obvious problem.

• 12-13-2010 6:13 PM In reply to

Soundproof having a sense of humour is amusing in itself!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 12-14-2010 4:26 AM In reply to

Alex, according to the gearslutz-thread I linked to the problem seems to be most noticeable with firewire-connections to third-part boxes, particularly from RME. Many descriptions in that link that match what you are hearing.

I have no trouble with 10.1 from my mbp to an airport express connected to my Beolab 5000. But I will wait with upgrading iTunes on my media centre mac mini, as that ports via firewire.

Page 1 of 1 (24 items)