in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-09-2010 6:49 PM by Vienna. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-04-2010 6:33 AM

Getting a better understanding of B&O capabilities

Where is the best place/ best manual to get a good overall understanding of B&O's capabilities? I ask this as I sit within listening distance of a stand alone BC1 which is just out of sound-synch with the BV5 on the same channel elsewhere in the house.

How do I link the TV's to get perfect sound synch? How do I watch a DVD playing on the BC1 on the BV5? I know it's all possible, but is it straight forward? I have the relevant link modules in my TVs and can read the manuals, but I have a feeling that there are a lot of us between the technology guys at one extreme, and the expensive dealerships who will wire/cable your house at the other, who for want of a little guidance or effort just don't quite get the best out of our B&O equipment.

And what about all those Beolink modules and converter units? How do I choose and do I need any?

(Time to turn the TV's off and switch on the NRadio (Pinnacle) and non-networkable 40 year old BM2000) Whistle

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 12-04-2010 10:50 AM In reply to

Re: Getting a better understanding of B&O capabilities

vikinger:

Where is the best place/ best manual to get a good overall understanding of B&O's capabilities? I ask this as I sit within listening distance of a stand alone BC1 which is just out of sound-synch with the BV5 on the same channel elsewhere in the house.

How do I link the TV's to get perfect sound synch? How do I watch a DVD playing on the BC1 on the BV5? I know it's all possible, but is it straight forward? I have the relevant link modules in my TVs and can read the manuals, but I have a feeling that there are a lot of us between the technology guys at one extreme, and the expensive dealerships who will wire/cable your house at the other, who for want of a little guidance or effort just don't quite get the best out of our B&O equipment.

And what about all those Beolink modules and converter units? How do I choose and do I need any?

(Time to turn the TV's off and switch on the NRadio (Pinnacle) and non-networkable 40 year old BM2000) Whistle

Graham

Hmmmm.

Back to the manuals then.

• 12-04-2010 11:25 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

vikinger:

Hmmmm.

Back to the manuals then.

Or pop into your friendly local Bang & Olufsen dealer for a nice relaxing coffee and a chat about what you want from your system Wink

Maybe have a listen to BeoSound8 whilst there.

• 12-04-2010 2:19 PM In reply to

I have found the B&O Configuration manual on the main site. There are two downloads available: one is an .exe file and the other a .zip. Unfortunately the zip seems to be an exe in disguise and I cannot get any mac application to open it. (Would not be a major problem except that my faulty Windows Toshiba now has a usable screen about 30mm in depth!)

(I'm sure I've encountered something similar in the past with Windows pdfs that turned out to be pdfs that only a windows OS could open: bit pointless producing modified universal file formats that don't work on other platforms. )

Can anyone at Beoworld check the zip file on the main site or convert it into a pdf?

Graham

• 12-04-2010 2:23 PM In reply to

It's a Windows program, not a document - so not directly useful to you, unless you have a Windows emulator on your Mac.

-mika

• 12-04-2010 2:29 PM In reply to

tournedos:

It's a Windows program, not a document - so not directly useful to you, unless you have a Windows emulator on your Mac.

Thanks Mika. Should it be called something else then? (Not a document or manual?)

Graham

EDIT. Does that mean that the zip file is not a zip file?????? It's a zipped exe file??????

• 12-04-2010 2:52 PM In reply to

Yes, it is a zip file, which contains an .exe file Smile

I believe this weirdness is because at some point, the content management system on site didn't directly allow delivering executables. All it's made for is delivering documents.

-mika

• 12-04-2010 5:21 PM In reply to

vikinger:

Graham

Hello

Interestingly I have a similar sync problem. I have a BC6 26 upstairs which I use as a second pair of speaker for parties. When we play NMUSIC through the system there is a slight delay in sound on the BC6 upstairs vs the beocentre 2 downstairs. Sometimes it appears worse than others... Is fine with a CD, RADIO or vinyl..just NRADIO/NMUSIC

Any ideas how to fix?

David

BV8-40, BC6-26, BC2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beoport, Beotalk 1200, Beocom 6000, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400

• 12-05-2010 4:36 AM In reply to

Hi David,

I can only guess that those small differences in processing time that plague modern radio and TV equipment also apply to some B&O  units even when they are properly configured to work through a link system (which I thought was meant to eliminate these sorts of problems.)

I managed to download the B&O configuration programme (see Mika's comments above) onto a Windows laptop. It presumably simplifies what you need for linking different units, but there are no explanations. It's like a tool with no manual: you just have to accept the recommendation.

The lack of any further advice in response to my original query makes me think that the majority of us really don't get the best from our equipment, being neither techno experts, nor being prepared to pay a dealer thousands for a bespoke cabled system.

Graham

• 12-05-2010 8:17 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

david coyne:

Hello

Interestingly I have a similar sync problem. I have a BC6 26 upstairs which I use as a second pair of speaker for parties. When we play NMUSIC through the system there is a slight delay in sound on the BC6 upstairs vs the beocentre 2 downstairs. Sometimes it appears worse than others... Is fine with a CD, RADIO or vinyl..just NRADIO/NMUSIC

Any ideas how to fix?

David

Add  "A-N.RA" "A-N.MUS" to your Beo4 LIST and try ..

• 12-06-2010 4:52 AM In reply to

thanks Vienna... will try!

Why should this work though?? I'm curious to know why?

David

BV8-40, BC6-26, BC2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beoport, Beotalk 1200, Beocom 6000, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400

• 12-06-2010 12:42 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Video sources have to be delayed in flat TVs to be lipsync with the picture - audio sources don't need a delay.

"AV" + "ANY AUDIO SOURCE"  or  "A.XXXX" + "GO" are audio commands ... .

• 12-06-2010 5:29 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Graham,

Answering your original question, I would suggest taking a look through the BeoTech area linked at the bottom of the main BeoWorld home page. Theres a ton about what goes where and how things talk to each other, should be the perfect resource for you.

EDIT: here, saved you the trouble! http://www.beoworld.org/beotech/index.htm

Smile

Evan

• 12-06-2010 6:01 PM In reply to

Evan:

Graham,

Answering your original question, I would suggest taking a look through the BeoTech area linked at the bottom of the main BeoWorld home page. Theres a ton about what goes where and how things talk to each other, should be the perfect resource for you.

EDIT: here, saved you the trouble! http://www.beoworld.org/beotech/index.htm

Smile

Thanks Evan. Although I've consulted it before I'd completely forgotten that that area of Beoworld existed! Laughing

Graham

• 12-07-2010 9:51 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Glad to help. Yes, that little corner is quite hidden.

Evan

• 12-09-2010 4:32 AM In reply to

Vienna:

Video sources have to be delayed in flat TVs to be lipsync with the picture - audio sources don't need a delay.

"AV" + "ANY AUDIO SOURCE"  or  "A.XXXX" + "GO" are audio commands ... .

How clever are you!!! Thanks Vienna, seems to have fixed the problem..so easy

When youre in Sydney, the drinks are on me  :)

• 12-09-2010 6:49 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

david coyne:

When youre in Sydney, the drinks are on me  :)

Thanks for the invitation Smile  - would be quite a long way round, unfortunately ...

PS: The "AV" trick will only solve delay problems similar to yours - there are other issues
    causing delays (Dolby, Type of panel/chassis , multiple TVs, ...) that can't be solved in this way!   

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)