in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-13-2010 4:57 AM by Premiumverum. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2010 6:52 AM

Question on rosewood and restoration

Hi all,

I read up on the subject here but still have a question remaining before I give it a try on my M100's.

From what I understand I should sand the veneer and then apply wood oil (Danish oil or beeswax).

My M100's have some very nasty scratches, fortunately none go through the veneer so I hope to fix them up.

The veneer seems to have a layer of laquer on it or something, that makes it shiny, a little bit reflective. What is this layer?

The scratches go through this layer, I guess I should sand this layer away and carefully sand the scratches out, then oil the wood?

Thanks in advance!

Laughing

• 10-01-2010 8:39 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Re: Question on rosewood and restoration

There is a nice chapter / some page in this book about wood restoration.

Maybe this time you can buy your reward first ;-) -

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 10-01-2010 9:57 AM In reply to

You can sand at 1000 grit with the Danish oil.  It will form a slurry which will fill any deep voids with matching wood and help disguise the faults.  Sand with the grain - not against it.  The oil will really bring out the colour and the figure of the wood.

Dave.

Am I ready? I was born ready!

• 10-01-2010 3:41 PM In reply to

kallasr:
    Maybe this time you can buy your reward first ;-)

Laughing That is pretty tempting Ralf!

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to give it a try with the danish oil and the 1000 grit.

I still wonder though, what is that shiny finish layer that is on the loudspeakers? Is that from the oil as it dries? Or wax of some kind?

• 10-01-2010 4:43 PM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

you could try a medium heat clothes iron with aq damp pot towel over the scratch, the steam generated swells the wood fibres then very find sand and wax

Surface finish could be waxed danish oil!

tony

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 11-13-2010 4:57 AM In reply to

Hello all,

I finally had some time to go at it with sanding paper and the danish oil. It works very well, I managed to sand out some nasty deep scratches! Unfortunately I had to go pretty deep into the wood to get the scratches out, to a depth at which the reddish color of the wood was gone. I thought the danish oil would restore this color but it didn't, so now there are some ordinary brownish spots between the nice rosewood on my nicely oiled speakers!

Should I have used some kind of coloring agent? What can I do to restore the nice red color?

Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)