in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-15-2010 8:36 AM by macjonny1. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-04-2009 9:36 AM

Stacking Beolab 5000. Which Way?

Looking at the brochures on site here, it says that the Beolab 5000 should be on top of the Beomaster tuner. Is this correct? It makes sense to have it that way round for cooling but lots of people have it the other way for the looks. Also in the brochure for for 68 or 67 (which ever one it is on site) it states that the Beolit 500 was not available in the UK. I know they are rare here but was it actually available at the time.

• 10-16-2009 2:05 PM In reply to

Re: Stacking Beolab 5000. Which Way?

Any one?

• 10-16-2009 2:19 PM In reply to

Well... the Lab on top would seem to make sense for heat venting...

But I have mine on the bottom!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-16-2009 3:01 PM In reply to

I have mine side by side as I don't want stacking marks!! Laughing

• 10-16-2009 3:03 PM In reply to

Peter :

I have mine side by side as I don't want stacking marks!! Laughing

Keep a bit of distance - I have siding marks on mine! Laughing

-mika

• 10-16-2009 7:23 PM In reply to

...realized I never posted a pic of my system! Here it is on the right of my little "B&o icon triad!"

Lab on the bottom! Laughing

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-16-2009 7:46 PM In reply to

burantek:

Lab on the bottom! Laughing

I kind of like it that way as you can see Wink

I still can't understand how I managed to get this pair together on the same day from two unrelated auctions! (actually I do - it just required a fat bid on the later one after the first had been secured Embarrassed )

Seriously I don't see much difference. The bigger problem is to find cables/connectors that don't get forcibly bent when you land the Beolab on whatever it will be standing on. All DIN and RCA cables I had lying around had connectors that were physically a bit too long...

-mika

• 10-16-2009 7:51 PM In reply to

tournedos:
    I still can't understand how I managed to get this pair together on the same day from two unrelated auctions! (actually I do - it just required a fat bid on the later one after the first had been secured Embarrassed )

Actually, it may be because you don't SLEEP! Laughing

Seriously, caught myself in a similar situation! The first one (the Lab) went to the moon, so I passed. Next up was the Master that went for less than half of the Lab... Oh well!

When mine came up on a BIN as a set -I did not hesitate. Bought it just after it was listed. Probably paid too much, but they come up so rarely -I wasn't prepared to wait another year! Time is money, right??? Erm Confused Laughing

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-16-2009 8:14 PM In reply to

burantek:

Actually, it may be because you don't SLEEP! Laughing

I had a pretty good "go to sleep in the evening, wake up in the morning" kind of schedule in the summer, but it has been destroyed already Laughing

But, take a look at the rear of the Beomaster. It has obviously been built to allow ventilation of something hot in the rear and below, instead of just covering a cold table. So I guess you can have these anyway round you like them - they have been designed by some Great Danes instead of a mad puppy!

(OK, now I really should go to sleep Wink )

-mika

• 10-16-2009 8:21 PM In reply to

tournedos:
    But, take a look at the rear of the Beomaster. It has obviously been built to allow ventilation of something hot in the rear and below, instead of just covering a cold table.

Well...

I just did a little experiment... as unscientific as possible!

While perusing here, my system has been running in the background for 1.5 hours at Vol = 1.25

The Master (on top) is completely cool (read ambient + a tick or two) to the touch. The bottom plate is perhaps "cold."

The top of the Lab (on bottom) is also cool (as above). I feel no "HOT" venting whatsoever.

The only "HOTSPOT" would be the left hand plate of the Lab. It is warm to the touch.

So, I would agree, unless giving it a long term, higher volume workout -place them however you wish!

Guess I need to throw a party and retest to confirm! All in the name of science, of course! Laughing

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-17-2009 8:13 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Lab on top!
    As I regularly change inputs and outputs, it is much easier.
    Lift lab up, move six inches to the right,
    Place duster on Beomaster, and lift right side of Lab up so it stands on its end on the duster.
    This is contrary to the way that B&O picture theirs in "Spark to Icon" and "Vision og Legend"
    If you have space, Peter's idea is best, and also looks good.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-15-2010 8:36 AM In reply to

I recently asked this question to Frede at Classic Audio, so I revisited this thread.  He states the Beolab is designed to be on the bottom, and that there is proper ventilation for this.  If you look on the back of the Beomaster there are is a cutout in the back to allow for the ventilation. 

Also, he mentions that in the manual where it says "do not put a tuner on top of the Beolab" probably refers to a non-B&O tuner. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)