in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-08-2010 9:00 AM by soundproof. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-07-2010 3:40 PM

Beogram 6500 - camwheel alignment

(Posted this in the Beogram section, but going to try my luck here, as well.)

Through some mystery, the drive belt of my servo motor on the BG6500 decided to jump off.

I've opened the deck up, put the belt where it should be, took the opportunity to remove hardened grease and put on fresh.

Now I'd like to know how to position the camwheels correctly without forcing anything. The drive and servo motors are engaging, but when I replace the platter, I'm suspecting that there's something I'm not doing right, as the pick-up arm mount doesn't move into position.

Here's what it looks like - different from the manual on-site. (BTW - I can't believe the absence of any significant dust inside the unit, after so many years!)

While I have it open, just let me know if there's anything else I should do (grease, oil in the bearing?)

Cheers!

• 10-08-2010 4:16 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram 6500 - camwheel alignment

I usually just replace the under platter and turn it manually CLOCKWISE. They normally sort themselves out.

What happens with yours?

Regards Graham

• 10-08-2010 4:22 AM In reply to

Yes, I'm doing the same - but it appears that the sequence has "jumped" - as the servo motor is no longer driving the tonearm assembly. The servo motor runs, but there's no transfer to the drive wheel. There's an electrical connection, if I move the tonearm a little to the left, the servo engages - but the large wheel (with the drive-string for the tone arm) doesn't move.

So I thought it could be that I need to do something particular with this. Manual doesn't seem to specify anything particular.

• 10-08-2010 4:30 AM In reply to

Does the carriage move manually to the centre and resting positions?

Regards Graham

• 10-08-2010 4:38 AM In reply to

Yes - it does, when the upper camwheel is in the correct position. And I could easily push it to the correct position for removal of the top.

While experimenting with getting the cam's in the right position, the tone-arm assembly has locked to its gears.

I suspect the reason the servo drivebelt jumped off its wheel could be that something's jammed in the gears from the servo arm to the large "stringwheel" running the tone-arm assembly.

But the servo motor and the wheel the belt goes to run nicely now.

Don't want to force anything, so I thought I'd ask in here first, to see if I'd missed something very obvious!

• 10-08-2010 5:50 AM In reply to

All's well  that ends well............etc!

Regards Graham

• 10-08-2010 6:20 AM In reply to

I'm still not getting an engage from the servo motor to the tone arm when I click play. But I'll figure it out, step-by-step.

• 10-08-2010 7:36 AM In reply to

Hello soundproof,

sorry that this is in german / french only and it's from a BG5005 manual but I think you can guess (or g00gle...) what it means.

You have to press the lever(s) and rotate the turntable at the same time (strange as you have your fingers in the table's rotating area) until the camwheels stop.

I remember I had to do the procedure with the 2 wheels several times as they have to sync together otherwise the arm will rise instead of lower on play.

Good luck,

Gunther

• 10-08-2010 8:26 AM In reply to

Thanks. Yes, I've tried the procedure earlier. One question, should the tonearm assembly be in the center position, or to the right? In order to synchronize with the gears?

• 10-08-2010 9:00 AM In reply to

Thanks for the input to everyone. I wanted to make certain I wasn't breaking anything. The unit is now playing records again as it should, with all parts doing their best.

That RIAA upgrade is tempting. There's a nice project for a wet November night, once I've gotten hold of the parts.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)