in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-27-2010 4:23 PM by yachadm. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-14-2010 6:38 PM

Still struggling with hum issue on 4002

Peter from this forum chimed in on a thread on Vinyl Engine, but hasn't come back to answer my question. Whistle

I purchased a quality ( I believe it to be anyway) DIN x male RCA adapter, that has the extra flying lead ground wired to the DIN connector. I still have a humming issue, and I've tried the deck with 3 different preamps so I'm sure it's the 4002. I've connected the flying lead to the ground on the amp and it hums. I've connected a ground wire from the chassis ground lug on the 4002 in addition, and it still hums. I've read other posts about having to solder a wire from the DIN connector sleeve and connect it to the amp ground, but as I said the adapter I've purchased has the additional ground wire.

Anybody have any suggestions? Sad

Thanks,

Mitsuman

• 09-15-2010 4:16 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Re: Still struggling with hum issue on 4002

Look in the DIN socket (adaptor) and make sure that the metal tab is bent so that it makes good contact with the metal outer screen of the b&o plug?

Have you got a meter?

edit sorry I just read about the din connector wire so as long as this is good that should rule that out!

Olly.

• 09-16-2010 11:43 AM In reply to

Check your sound cables. I had my BG connected to the preamp, to my BS 3000, no problems. I connected the preamp to my sound card on my computer, to grab vinyl and got hum. The cable from my preamp to comp. was passing near my nobreak, I moved it away from the nobreak and the hum was gone. All power supplies can cause this problem if your sound cables is passed near them.

Søren

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 09-18-2010 2:36 PM In reply to

Anyone else have any ideas? Unsure

• 09-18-2010 5:17 PM In reply to

Record players are fairly simple - there simply should not be too many areas to generate hum. The cartridge itself should not generate any hum and the feed from the arm should be fine. It must be the chassis. You need to trace the ground and see if there is signal and trace back. It should be relatively easy as you can remove the top plates making it easier.

On the arm front, is the copper tag still present to attach the bottom edge of the cartridge?

• 09-18-2010 6:49 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Have you thoroughly checked the screen connection in the DIN plug? If not it might be easiest to remove the right hand panel and use a meter to check continuity all the way through to the RCA plugs and trailing earth.

Olly.

• 09-27-2010 4:23 PM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

IIRC, there is a small disc capacitor at the right rear of the turntable, which is connected bewteen the cable shield and the turntable casing. Check that that capacitor is OK.

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)