in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-17-2010 1:36 PM by soundproof. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-17-2010 6:13 AM

• Bundy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2008
    • Bolderslev, Denmark
    • Posts 58
    • Gold Member

Travelling with a beogram 4000

Hi

I´m of to pick up a beogram 4000. What is the best way to transport it? It will be a combination of car and plane...

Mogens

• 09-17-2010 9:05 AM In reply to

Re: Travelling with a beogram 4000

You need to download the service manual, and follow the instructions there when it comes to removing the aluminium plate around the platter. Careful when removing it to avoid scratching anything. You shouldn't need to remove the plate above the indicator bar. Just leave that in place during transport, but make certain that it can't get free and begin clattering about inside the turntable. Don't use tape to fasten anything made of aluminium.

There are transport screws underneath the turntable, which you fasten once you've removed the platter.

Make certain that you don't lose the drive belt - you'll figure out how that comes off easily.

Remove the cartridge from the arm - pulling it straight out while holding on the the arm with the other hand. Store the cartridge safely, and where the stylus is protected.

Put the platter inside something where it is well protected from scratches, and where it can't bump against the deck. Try to avoid having to take the lid off, but make certain it doesn't clatter up and down. I'd probably go with a satchel bag for the platter and a separate bag for the deck. I wouldn't want to fly with it as checked baggage and would do what it takes to get it into the cabin with me.

There's a trick to removing the plate above the position indicator bar. A lot of people don't know it, and therefore end up denting the top right corner of this plate. You should be able to slide it straight out to the right, but if not, it's because the bottom left attachment has been "modified." If so:
    Once you have the main plate surrounding the platter off, you'll reveal a screw that fastens a brass "fork" that is holding one corner of the smaller plate. You'll see this screw just to the left of the bottom left corner of the plate.
    Undo this screw (avoiding to drop it into the works), and pull free the brass fork. The plate is now loose at this corner, and you can work it free from the pins holding on the side closest to the right hand edge of the turntable. You might want to take it off during inspection before you begin your trip home.

Place something around the arms to prevent them from being able to move about during transport. On my previous BG4000 I used bubble-wrap around the arms, with a section between them at the width of their separation. If the person you're buying from is a stickler, you might find they've kept the original arm-lock.

• 09-17-2010 10:26 AM In reply to

• Bundy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2008
    • Bolderslev, Denmark
    • Posts 58
    • Gold Member

Hi

Thanks for the detailed describtion. I took a look at the service manual, but i am still puzzeled about how to remove the platter. Is it enough to take the woodtrim off and then it is possible to remove the platter?? Do i need tools?

Mogens

• 09-17-2010 10:34 AM In reply to

Bundy:

Is it enough to take the woodtrim off and then it is possible to remove the platter?? Do i need tools?

Mogens

No tools... reach around the side of the wood trim towards the back of the BG. With finger pressure -pull the trim surround towards the front. It will disengage the locking pins, but will remain attached. You can now lift the trim plates off as well as the platter.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-17-2010 10:36 AM In reply to

Shouldn't be any different from 4002/4004/6000.

-mika

• 09-17-2010 11:12 AM In reply to

Thanks for that link, mika. I missed that when you first posted it. A useful guide for people who come across these, in order to avoid having them be damaged in transport.

I'd say there is no need to remove the panels that comprise the controls, they're held well in place by the snap-springs. But do contradict me if anyone feels differently.

And do note Dillen's advice, which I'm pasting in below. Begin by removing and safely storing the cartridge. The one I bought from Soundsmith costs more than the player ... now that you can have them refurbished at Schallplattennadeln.de it's really worth it to keep the originals.

You'll need a friendly flight crew to be able to bring the deck into the cabin - I wonder if it fits in the overhead ...

• 09-17-2010 11:22 AM In reply to

• Bundy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2008
    • Bolderslev, Denmark
    • Posts 58
    • Gold Member

Hi

Thanks tournedos for the link. Now i get it :-). Just have to wait until Sunday to pick it up......

Mogens

• 09-17-2010 11:31 AM In reply to

• Bundy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2008
    • Bolderslev, Denmark
    • Posts 58
    • Gold Member

Hi soundproof

I am working at the airline i will travell with, so i am sure the cabin attendent will be nice..... and again thanks for the help...

• 09-17-2010 11:35 AM In reply to

Yes, definitely remove the cartridge as the first thing if you are going to transport the Beogram, or if you need to remove it at some point anyway. The emphasis in my instructions was just on how to disassemble & assemble for maintenance.

But as I said later in that thread, the carts can sit very tight on the tonearm, and needless removal might also end up needleless! I hate it every time as I don't trust my other hand keeping the tonearm steady without twisting it somehow.

Good this came up, just realized that I could now amend that thread with a pic from a DC version with the different subplatter.

-mika

• 09-17-2010 1:36 PM In reply to

Horror link showing what happened to one month's worth of turntables received by a repairman in the US.

http://www.vinylnirvana.com/ar_gallery_damage.shtml

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)