in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-15-2010 11:37 AM by thorne. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-11-2009 8:36 AM

Blue Lines on Screen Using Sky and BV7-40

I have had an ongoing issue with dark blue lines showing up on either side of the 7-40 when watching some Sky channels; Living and Virgin are particular culprits. My 7-40 is the Mark III model and was updated 2 weeks ago to the latest software version which I was hoping might fix things, but it hasn't.

This issue happens when the Sky HD box settings are showing 1080i/p at 16:9. If you switch to any other setting i.e. change 16:9 to 4:3 or 4:3L then the blue lines largely disappear, although not completly, about 90%. Also if you change from 1080 to 720. Problem is of course that you then sacrifice a loss in picture quality.

These problems happen everytime I am watching Deep Space Nine, Voyager or Star Trek Next Generation on Virgin. Also happens on several other channels.

B&O tell me its a Sky issue and there is nothing they can do. I want to be absolutly sure this is factual, and that it is not a Bang and Olufsen issue because if it is, I only have 1 more engineer visit covered by B&O to get it resolved. Really interested to hear other people's comments and to know if they too have experienced these problems on either this TV, another B&O TV or any other manufacturers TV. If it is not a Bang and Olufsen issue then I would expect people with non-B&O TVs to report back with the same problems.

Looking for as much feedback as possible please about this. In essence, is this a B&O fault?

Thanks,
    Simon.

• 10-11-2009 8:53 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Re: Blue Lines on Screen Using Sky and BV7-40

The_Beonic_Man:

I have had an ongoing issue with dark blue lines showing up on either side of the 7-40 when watching some Sky channels; Living and Virgin are particular culprits. My 7-40 is the Mark III model and was updated 2 weeks ago to the latest software version which I was hoping might fix things, but it hasn't.

I could have told you it hadn't as, if you remember, I have the same issue with my MKIV? :)

I also have the blue lines - they affect LivingTV, Film4 and other channels. It's got to be something to do with the size of their picture and how our TVs display them on-screen. For example, Film4 are showing The Departed, with thick blue lines. I've seen this on Sky HD and there weren't any blue lines. Difference is that Sky HD show panoramic versions, where the one on Film4 looked somewhere between 16:9 and 4:3 !

BTW I did  a Google search and there are hardly any discussions to be found - so I don't know how widespread this problem is, exactly. Looks like it could be more B&O than Sky.

Mind you Simon.....my MKIV *still* crashes when watching Sky. The BV8 never has a single crash. These BV7-40's do not seem to work well with Sky at all. BV10-40, perhaps?

• 10-11-2009 3:59 PM In reply to

Yes - I have noticed this for the last few months on Sky - especially Channel 5 (eg CSI Miami). I assumed it was a Sky issue.

Juan Herrero

• 10-11-2009 4:05 PM In reply to

My MK III sometimes does this as well.  Is it really an issue? personally I couldn't care less.  Sometimes I notice the blue lines down the side of the screen, then I watch the program and completely forget about them.  I can't help thinking some people never actually watch what's on their screen and spend their lives looking for "issues" and "faults" with their equipment.

• 10-11-2009 4:36 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

It doesn't do it 'sometimes', it does it all of the time on many Sky channels. Plus, to be fair, the blue lines are about 2cm wide, each side. Pretty poor for modern programme on a £10,000 TV.

• 10-11-2009 4:40 PM In reply to

Mine does it all the time on certain channels also, but I only "sometimes" notice it.  When I turn my TV on I am pleased by the motor stand, the curtains, the picture and sound quality, the feel of the remote in my hand.  To me these things, and the fact that I am watching the program rather than looking for faults, mean that I don't notice such minor points.

(now you mention it and I look for them, the lines are there now while my wife watches a recording from More4).  They don't bother me in the slightest, but I suppose if I kept staring at them they would become a bit annoying

• 10-11-2009 5:15 PM In reply to

rednik:

My MK III sometimes does this as well.  Is it really an issue? personally I couldn't care less.  Sometimes I notice the blue lines down the side of the screen, then I watch the program and completely forget about them.  I can't help thinking some people never actually watch what's on their screen and spend their lives looking for "issues" and "faults" with their equipment.

It is an issue for me Rednik yes. I am trying to get to the bottom of it and understand whether it is a B&O fault or a Sky fault. When I spent £20,000 in my local dealer several months ago it wasn't with the intention of spending my life looking for faults on the equipment afterwards. That is a rather strange comment that I don't quite understand.

Simon.

• 10-11-2009 5:28 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

rednik:

When I turn my TV on I am pleased by the motor stand, the curtains, the picture and sound quality, the feel of the remote in my hand.  To me these things...

Oh dear. Do you have the same feeling when your TV crashes when watching Sky? It happens here. I'm left holding the remote in my hand, whilst watching a lot of snow across the screen - doesn't matter how 'pleased' I am with the stand, curtains and remote....I'd rather watch my TV programme.

• 10-11-2009 5:45 PM In reply to

moxxey:

rednik:

When I turn my TV on I am pleased by the motor stand, the curtains, the picture and sound quality, the feel of the remote in my hand.  To me these things...

Oh dear. Do you have the same feeling when your TV crashes when watching Sky? It happens here. I'm left holding the remote in my hand, whilst watching a lot of snow across the screen - doesn't matter how 'pleased' I am with the stand, curtains and remote....I'd rather watch my TV programme.

All of our TV viewing is through Sky as I don't have an aerial installed.  Have never had an issue with Sky on my MKIII (or MKII previously) other than the Sky box locking up occasionally, like they all do.

Sorry if my comments annoy you, it's just I;ve met people who allow minor things to spoil their enjoyment of products before.  I have a friend who spent what I think is an obscene amount of money on a car, which I thought was the best thing I had ever driven or sat in.  His entire ownership experience was spoilt by a very minor issue which I wouldn't have noticed if he hadn't pointed it out to me.  He has never been 100% happy with any car (or watch, or motorbike etc etc) that he has owned, and I sometimes just wonder if some people here have a similar outlook.

However, if I had a major fault like my TV crashing I would think differently, but like I said, it doesn't, and I can easily live with a bit of blue down the side of the image

• 10-11-2009 6:09 PM In reply to

That's a fair enough viewpoint Rednik but I think its naieve to make sweeping statements and assumptions about other people who you actually don't know. I am curious, had you of seen the blue lines on the TV in your dealership at the time of purchase, would you still have bought it?

Simon.

• 10-11-2009 6:23 PM In reply to

The_Beonic_Man:

That's a fair enough viewpoint Rednik but I think its naieve to make sweeping statements and assumptions about other people who you actually don't know. I am curious, had you of seen the blue lines on the TV in your dealership at the time of purchase, would you still have bought it?

Simon.

Yes.  Maybe you have a more serious issue than I see, and like I say I don't mean to offend.  The blue lines down the side of my screen are there at all times on certain sky channels, but they really are not a big deal, I can easily ignore them and enjoy the TV but if someone points them out they are definatley there.  My wife had never noticed them before and when I just pointed the out they annoyed her for a few minutes as she kept looking at them.  I changed back to BBC1 for a while and she forgot about them, back to More $ and they are still there but she isn't bothered any more.

I had a friend here the other week who couldn't watch my BV7 because of the reflection of a window on the screen.  I look straight through it and don't see it.  Maybe I can easily ignore things that annoy other people immensley - maybe that's why I'm with my wife :-)

• 10-11-2009 6:59 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

rednik:

However, if I had a major fault like my TV crashing I would think differently, but like I said, it doesn't, and I can easily live with a bit of blue down the side of the image

I think my MKIV is crashing due to some bizarre HDCP issue involving the BV7-40->Sky->BV8 setup I have, across two rooms. If they BV8 is left on, the BV7-40 rarely crashes. If the BV7-40 is on with the BV8 off, it crashes more frequently. When it does crash though, the BV8 carries on showing the Sky programme and is response to the remote commands....proving it's the BV7-40 MKIV at fault. The Sky box doesn't crash.

I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me on this (again).

• 10-12-2009 3:01 AM In reply to

Would a trip to John Lewis to see how the competition look on these Sky channels reveal whether this is B & O or Sky? 

• 10-12-2009 4:50 AM In reply to

That's a good point actually Peter, thanks. I am in Bath later today so I'll check out Curry's to see what's happening.

Cheers,
    Simon.

• 03-07-2010 2:11 PM In reply to

I've heard that Sky have started to receive more complaints about this and it may only take a few more folk from the B&O/BSkyB Sky+HD combination customer base to mention it before it would go onto a 'feature request' process at Sky to be investigated.

I have a friend who is in the development team at BSkyB and I would mention to them but in a way I'm also slightly embarrassed that my £10k telly has such a problem, it is noticeable but I've been told that the wideness of my dark blue lines is no-where near the worst example that can be seen.

I think that B&O holding up their hands is not a great response.

• 09-12-2010 11:28 AM In reply to

I have seen this on a friends LG tv.

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 09-14-2010 12:44 PM In reply to

This is the fix

With tv switched to sky, press menu twice to bring up B&O menu.  Choose options then picture.  There is an option 'size', one click to the right should do it

This does not work if you access the menu via tv, because the size option is greyed out

Let me know if this works

• 09-14-2010 1:18 PM In reply to

Yes there is as my Bv7-40 Mk3 had it but there is not on the Bv7-32!

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 09-14-2010 2:50 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

Hi

I have played with my settings and worked a solution to this

if i have sky set to 720p then the blue lines appear on HD channels

if i have it set to 1080p then the blue lines appear on the SD channels

if set to automatic the lines are gone but the screen flickers when changing from sd and hd channel, blue lines are black.

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 09-15-2010 9:44 AM In reply to

Sorry , bionic man, in addition to my previous post, I should have made clear that the tv should be switched to sky AND to an HD channel. I have also changed resolution in sky settings to 'automatic'.  This really is the perfect solution.  I get no problems at all on HD, SD or analogue tv,

• 09-15-2010 10:48 AM In reply to

It also means that the BS3, and not the Sky box, is doing the upscaling from SD (576) to 1080. 

Only downside is you end up with a downscaled then upscaled TV guide / Search & Scan on SD channels - which looks a bit ropey.  But you watch TV for the content, not the EPG - right?

• 09-15-2010 11:37 AM In reply to

I have not noticed any difference

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)