in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-15-2010 1:56 AM by Doctor. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-13-2010 12:27 PM

Want to learn to work on vintage B&O audio -where to start?

I have a couple of general elec circuitry books a friend gave me and have read some basic web pages on circuitry etc. I don't know much but am motivated. I have not even ever soldered anything and have chunky hands, I barely know the diff from a capacitor and a carrot! but I do have passion to learn. The vintage pieces are too amazing to be on a trash heap. I had a BG4002 and 5500 stackables in the 90's. Suggestions?? Anyone near me in Austin TX want a protege??Thanks.
  • 09-13-2010 1:24 PM In reply to

Re: Want to learn to work on vintage B&O audio -where to start?

Here's what I wrote last year and as you see, was flooded with feedback Stick out tongue

I'll just add that if you don't know how to solder, don't practice with B&O - there's plenty of expendable junk (or just cheap kits that blink a couple of LEDs, or whatever) available for that purpose...

The mechanical aspect of the repairs... well, one either is handy, or not. Some people can fabricate perfect reproduction spare parts out of CD covers, ballpoint pens and bicycle inner tubes, while others manage to destroy everything they try to take apart. I guess the only way to improve there is patience!

-mika

• 09-13-2010 1:33 PM In reply to

I learnt the basics many years ago by building a radio - started of as a crystal set and then an amplifier was added - all built on a peice of wood - It was I beleive a ladybird book when I was at school. Might still be available on ebay or something. Good for learning what components are and what they do. I think there might also be electronic kits that you could probably still get.

I agree though that B&O would not be best to start with. Good luck

Andrew

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 09-13-2010 1:37 PM In reply to

I would suggest that a good Beomaster to learn on would be the 70s Beomaster 2000. Lots of space to work in, not too complicated and the service manual is on site! the only problem is that they don't seem to go wrong very often!

• 09-13-2010 2:36 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

ajames:

It was I beleive a ladybird book when I was at school.

Used to have a copy of that myself. You used a piece of wood, and screws with cups to make the connections.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 09-13-2010 2:43 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

After a quick Ebay search I have found the following.

A copy of the book

All the parts needed in one kit.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 09-13-2010 3:47 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

I always wanted to be able to repair my own B&O. I am able to solder and have replaced entire sets of capacitors on for e.g. a BM 1900. Should the problem be more than capacitors then I'm totally clueless :( Usually capacitors aren't the only problem. My brother is an electronic engineer but he lives in a different country to me unfortunately but surely I must also have some talent towards this type of thing as well!!! Just need to find a way of learning!!

Durban South Africa

• 09-14-2010 8:02 AM In reply to

Crikey - never thought I would see that again - almost tempted to bid on it out of nostalgia

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 09-14-2010 9:37 AM In reply to

Craig:

After a quick Ebay search I have found the following.

A copy of the book

All the parts needed in one kit.

CraigSmile

That isa really tempting!

goes back to an earlier era  of electronics that is fast disappearing.

Simon

• 09-14-2010 7:45 PM In reply to

Thanks all. but I'm in the US. I love this site, but I wish there was as good a forum based in US. And it's sickening to see the prices (and freebies) and all the expert repair work more commonly available in Europe. In the US, good, reasonably priced vintage B&O is rare. example- a CDX just went for $428 USD on US ebay. And repairs are expensive, done properly or not. I'm mad B&O doesn't support their vintage stuff, but I guess it wouldn't be cost effective? I personally do not want their current stuff. over, and thanks for the thoughtful comments.
  • 09-14-2010 11:31 PM In reply to

See if you can find Anthony Garza - he used to be the best vintage B&O repairman in the U.S. And he was based in Texas.

http://barditch.beocentral.com/

• 09-15-2010 1:56 AM In reply to

The problem with the US is that it has always been a tricky market for B&O. The physical size is huge but sales are far less than say the UK. Therefore the number of users and hence number of pieces of equipment are limited. There is of course the North American Forum on Beoworld and there is also the Beolist which is US based. The latter is sadly used much less these days.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)