in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-07-2010 3:56 AM by Roger. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-06-2010 2:38 PM

Sad [:(] No more BV9 on www.Bang-Olufsen.com

• 09-06-2010 2:40 PM In reply to

• AdiS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Posts 196
    • Bronze Member

Re: No more BV9 on www.Bang-Olufsen.com

why that? is it discontinued?

• 09-06-2010 3:06 PM In reply to

My dealer told me a few month ago that BV9 will be discontinued soon, because technic is too old for the high price of this tv. So this is no surprise for me at all.

But who is the follower? I think BV 7-55 can´t be, so let´s wait for the new Beovision 11!

Regards

Räuber

• 09-07-2010 2:20 AM In reply to

If they had dropped the price, it would have sold, don't you think? I don't understand this new B&O policy to discontinue a product that doesn't sell & come back with another one that offers more for less money.

The irony is that BV9 was already a bargain in B&O world: it cost the same price as a BV5 with a larger screen, a built-in BS3 and ALT speaker.Indifferent

Same story for BeoSound 6 : it was supposed to replace BS2, costing the same price for twice the storage capacity, a display, longer playback time, and despite that, it didn't sell..

What will replace BV9? A new 55' screen based on BV10 design with built-in sources? Or (hopefully) a more up-to-date concept, with an Ethernet socket and DLNA features to find all your network's video files and simply play them via an integrated software à la BeoMedia?Hmm

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 09-07-2010 2:37 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

AdiS:

why that? is it discontinued?

It was discontinued and discussed on here a while ago. Many dealers are now selling their display stock - some good BV9 prices at the moment.

• 09-07-2010 2:47 AM In reply to

Chrisreunion:

If they had dropped the price, it would have sold, don't you think? I don't understand this new B&O policy to discontinue a product that doesn't sell & come back with another one that offers more for less money.

The irony is that BV9 was already a bargain in B&O world: it cost the same price as a BV5 with a larger screen, a built-in BS3 and ALT speaker.Indifferent

You're answering your own question there: it was a bargain and it still didn't sell.

Of course everything will sell if you start giving them away, but at what cost to the company? BV9 was probably quite expensive to build, plasmas at that size are going completely out of fashion, and selling it at a small margin while eating the sales of other models isn't too beneficial in the end.

-mika

• 09-07-2010 3:26 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I thought it was incredibly expensive myself..   Great TV though.  The only trouble is that when you don't know how much it cost to make, the argument for or against the price kind of stumbles around in the dark!

Would they have sold by the bucketful at say £9,995 - or would that have stolen sales from the BV7-40 at the time, priced at around £12,000?  Should the 7-40 have been £7,995 in order to sell in quantity?  Are B&O 'geared up' for quantity sales, or would it be better to stay as they are and purposefully sell in smaller numbers with greater margins? The debate goes on..

Lee 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 09-07-2010 3:56 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

The BeoVision 7 series is a great success for B&O and a "cash cow". They have been very carefull not to alter this with their portfolio. Clearly, the 7-55 did replace the BV9 - actually, having the pleasure of owning both of them, I must confess that the BV9 is still the best. TV is moving objects displayed on a screen, and a moving object is just that on a BV9. Watch a face in a dark scene on the 7-55, and you notice some minor, but strange "jello-effects" in the texture of the skin - watch a concert, pay attention to when the camera is pointed at the audience and see the big circle of (back) light glowing when a flash goes off. Minor stuff, but still you have none of these effects on the BV9. I have allways loved the BV7-design (even over the BV5 and BV9), but it all comes down to moving pictures - and the BV9 is still ahead.

Sure, the power consumption of 0.5 kW/hr alone would have killed the BV9 (aren't they to be banned in California in the near future?).

Roger

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)