in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-29-2010 4:30 AM by soundproof. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-28-2010 4:34 PM

Audioholics B&O visit/review from 2006

If you haven't read it before, this visit to Struer and associated review is worth reading.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 08-28-2010 10:40 PM In reply to

Re: Audioholics B&O visit/review from 2006

vikinger:

If you haven't read it before, this visit to Struer and associated review is worth reading.

Graham

Thank you Graham - it was a delightful read!

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 08-29-2010 2:52 AM In reply to

It's a nice article. I mentioned it in the vintage-forum, in the thread about B&O sound, as one of many examples where critics/reviewers come away from a visit to B&O with a completely different impression of the company than the one they had going there.

• 08-29-2010 3:58 AM In reply to

That will teach me to read the vintage forum more often Soundproof!

Some of these old reviews are buried deep on the internet and Google does not find them easily, probably because they don't have many current pages linked to them. I've got into the habit of now searching using ''bang olufsen' and then placing two or more words in inverted commas to form a phrase afterwards. Sometimes you find a good review, sometimes you find a page you need to get out of fairly quickly!Whistle

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 08-29-2010 4:30 AM In reply to

Actually quite a few interesting things that pop up when one searches for B&O. One impression I'm getting, is that many critical listeners are getting the point of the acoustic lenses. There is also a general movement towards active speakers, and in that department, B&O has the nicest looking speakers around.

This movement is fueled by people wanting to port music from their computers, and wondering what they need to to that well - in audiophile circles they're discovering that they don't need a large sound system if they have active speakers and a good DAC between those and the computer they're using.

I suspect a lot of reviewers get a big surprise when they come to Struer. Many are prejudiced and are apparently expecting to find a place filled with interior decorators and color pickers (I'm exaggerating just a tad). Then they see the collection in the museum, realize how B&O has been driving audio development and get to listen. But occasionally there are reality checks - one batch of reviewers invited to Struer was rightly incensed by the BeoLiving room used as the main demo-room. The hard wood wall behind the speakers were so against the "dead wall" principles of good audio that they couldn't get around to actually listening to the music. (The acoustic lenses of the BL5s ensure that very little sound energy in the mid- and top-frequencies go backwards). It's still form over function to have a wall like that behind the speakers.

I think that a lot of the misperceptions of many audio reviewers are caused by the strange interiors B&O chooses to photograph its components in - for every acoustically "correct" interior, you have dozens with marble floors, concrete walls and enormous plate glass windows. Anyone keen on getting the best possible reproduction of music knows such interiors are simply terrible - and therefore audio reviewers form the incorrect assumption that B&O doesn't know any better.

Good thing you posted it in the general forum, vikinger - that review deserves a bigger audience.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)