in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-17-2010 5:36 PM by Dillen. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-17-2010 2:17 PM

Beogram CD 5500 No play.

I have a Beogram CD 5500. I loads and unloads the disc with no problems. It spins for a few seconds and then goes to standby with no further action. I´ve cleaned the lens but no luck.

Any suggestions? Im pretty skilled with soldering iron and a multimeter, but dont really know where to start.

Thanx!

• 08-17-2010 3:42 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram CD 5500 No play.

First take a look to the soldering connections of the wire from the transformer PCB to the decoder PCB. These might be bad. Check all the solderings on the Decoder PCB. Also check the 33uF capacitor on the Servo PCB, this is also a known problem. If this does not help, it might also be the adjustment resistors for Focus and Lasercurrent on the Servo PCB. And after replacing the resistors, re-adjust Focus and Laser-current

• 08-17-2010 3:50 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Welcome to Beoworld !

It could be something else but the vast majority of read faults in these decks are
    caused by bad capacitors on the laser servo board.
    The electrolytic caps needs to be replaced and at least one of them needs
    to be a specific brand and type, namely the blue Philips axial C2103 as you will also
    notice if you do a forum search.
    Capacitor kits are available (from me) for most of the different servo boards used.
    Check the number in the corner on the solder side of the board, the last 5 digits
    will tell the type. Something like 34114, 35013 or similar.

Also worth checking for cracked solder joints, especially around
    the voltage regulators.

Replace the capacitors and leave the trimmers (variable resistors/adjustments) alone.
    An adjustment hardly ever goes astray.
    You can check (and eventually adjust) the laser current ONLY if you have
    correct instrumentation and the test CD(s) needed to do so, and even then it should be
    done with the utmost care.
    The chance of destroying the laser is too high if using trial and error.
    It only takes a few seconds with a too high laser current to count laser life in minutes
    rather than years or to turn the laser dark forever.
    I would strongly suggest you leave the adjustments well alone and just replace the capacitors.
    If this does not fix the problem, and I'm sure it will, it's much more likely to be a defective laser than a bad
    trimmer or adjustment but you can check it by then. You cannot trust anything as long as the old
    capacitors are still playing a role. The adjustments are set to match the laser block. Increasing
    the laser current will not compensate for bad capacitors and the focus compensates for tolerances and
    physical distances within the laser diode/block/mechanics construction so no need to ever adjust any of that.

Martin

• 08-17-2010 4:36 PM In reply to

Thanx to both of you for rapid replies!

Martin, har du sådan et kit jeg kan købe af dig? Jeg bor i Århus og kan overføre penge til dig...

Mvh

• 08-17-2010 5:36 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Sikkert, men send mig en PM (klik på mit navn ude til venstre og så "start conversation").
    Og jeg skal bruge det 5-cifrede nummer på servo-printkortet, alternativt et foto af printkortet.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)