in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-04-2010 6:56 PM by Calvin. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-04-2010 3:15 PM

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

BM 5500 2nd speaker volume

Short Version:  Is it possible to have the second set of speakers on a BeoMaster 5500 at a different volume level?

Long Version:  So unil recently I've had my right hand speakers at the back of the room and the left channel at the front.  This enabled me to adjust the balance to the left and perfectly center the sound on my sofa.  Anyway, recently it started turning off if it was on for a few hours and I noticed the amp was overheating quite a bit.  I have RedLine 45 speakers at the front at X25s at the back and a friend pointed out that they're different impedence so it must be confusing the amplifier.  I've since switched it to front and back on speakers 1 and 2 outputs but now the sound is too loud from the back.  How do I go about lowering it?  If it's not possible is it an ok idea to replace the X25s with different speakers and leave the hifi deliberately off-balanced?  I'll be the first to admit that they're not great speakers anyway but they do the job

• 11-04-2010 3:31 PM In reply to

Re: BM 5500 2nd speaker volume

Short answer: no

Long answer: get the BM fixed. Sounds like the classic problem with the amplifier idle current, caused by a couple of trimpots going bad. Cost in parts very low, and not a big job to anyone who knows what he's doing.

-mika

• 11-04-2010 6:56 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Re: BM 5500 2nd speaker volume

Not sure about getting it fixed, I actual put it into the Glasgow Bearsden branch before I left home (about 5 years ago) and asked them to look over it and replace anything that might go soon.  I've had it on all evening tonight (with the speakers back to normal) and it's not hot at all so I think it was just the speaker impedence thing.  I'll speak to my friend, who tends to know more about these things than I do and see if he thinks the same.  To be frank, it's also because it's such a pain not having a music system if there's not definitely something wrong

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)