in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-10-2010 3:38 PM by Keith Saunders. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-07-2009 1:48 PM

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2008
    • Munich
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

Beo5 and Philips TV

Hey Guys I'm planing on buying a Beo5 next week but my problem is that I have to control some 3rd party products.

I think my B&O Products (BV4, BS3, HDR2, BC2) will not be the problem.

What about my other products?

- Sony BDP-S350 connected to a Philips TV in my Bedroom

- MacMini

- TVIX HD M-7000A

Do I need a lintronic box for the conversion of the IR Signals or can I program a Beo5 that I can control everything

• 05-07-2009 2:17 PM In reply to

• Quim43
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-15-2007
    • Tarragona (Catalonia)
    • Posts 1,030
    • Gold Member

Re: Beo5 and Philips TV

Hi Tim

You will be able to control the Tvix with no problems downloading the xml from Here The xml is for the Tvix 6500A and 7000A. I think you won't have problems to control the macmini, as there are some xml for Apple products.

There is no xml for your Sony and your Philips TV, but can be created if you have the IR codes.

Quim

• 05-07-2009 2:27 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2008
    • Munich
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

Quim43:

Hi Tim

You will be able to control the Tvix with no problems downloading the xml from Here The xml is for the Tvix 6500A and 7000A. I think you won't have problems to control the macmini, as there are some xml for Apple products.

There is no xml for your Sony and your Philips TV, but can be created if you have the IR codes.

Does this mean the Beo5 can simulate all codes if they are programmed into it? So the Beo5 is the ultimate universal remote?

• 05-07-2009 2:52 PM In reply to

• Quim43
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-15-2007
    • Tarragona (Catalonia)
    • Posts 1,030
    • Gold Member

Sure,

I use my Beo5 to control all my B&O stuff, my Tvix 6500, my sat receiver Clarke Tech, my lights, blinds and my Roomba vacuum Smile

Quim

• 05-07-2009 3:30 PM In reply to

Tim:

What about my other products?

- Sony BDP-S350 connected to a Philips TV in my Bedroom

- MacMini

- TVIX HD M-7000A

All these products can be directly controlled by the Beo5

Regards Keith....

• 05-09-2009 4:15 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2008
    • Munich
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

OK thanks guys I'll pick up my Beo5 on mondy from my local dealer.

I have one question left. Are there any restrictions programming the Beo5? Means can every Hardware with an Ir-Remote be controled by the Beo5 or is there Hardware known as non compatible. 

• 05-09-2009 5:13 PM In reply to

• Quim43
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-15-2007
    • Tarragona (Catalonia)
    • Posts 1,030
    • Gold Member

This is a question for Keith, but I think Beo5 can control ALL Ir devices.

Quim

• 05-09-2009 6:44 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Tim:

Quim43:

So the Beo5 is the ultimate universal remote?

HA!
    I think the words you were looking for Tim, was "Lord of Remotes"

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-11-2009 6:50 AM In reply to

• KibitoCH
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-19-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Beo5 can not control any IR, im sure Keith will explain wich protocols can be controlled. I my self had to bumb in a couple of things wich were not posible.

• 05-11-2009 7:27 AM In reply to

99% of 3rd party products CAN be controlled by the Beo5

The limiting factor is not protocol, but carrier frequency. The transmitting diodes have a range of frequencies in which they will work which is why the Beo5 has more than one transmitting IR diode.

99% of 3rd party infrared protocols use a frequency between 30 Khz and 60 Khz which the Beo5 can handle without a problem. The most common frequencies are:-

• 38Khz for NEC protocol
    • 36KHZ for Philips RC5 protocol
    • 40KHZ for Sony protocol

The Beo5 supports NEC, Philips RC5, bitstream and RAW protocols, well RAW is not actually a protocol, its what is says RAW timing data

NEC, RC5 and Bitstream are translated by the firmware in the Beo5, whereas the RAW data is transmitted as provided to the Beo5

This means that if the Beo5 only supported RAW, it could still be used for any 3rd party product, subject to the carrier frequency requirements.

In fact the "3rd party XML Generator" available for download only converts to RAW.

So, in conclusion, I totally standby my statement that 99% of 3rd party products can be controlled by the Beo5.

However setting up some of the XML files to control these products correctly can be a minefield if you don't completely understand the structure and how they work.

Regards Keith....

• 05-11-2009 6:28 PM In reply to

• KibitoCH
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-19-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

The most common Light and Curtain Control in Switzerland:

http://www.feller.ch/lang_d/produkte/beamit.php

sadly cant be control'd with Beo5.

Havent found any Data concerning frequencies or Protocols.

Edit: well found IR-Trägerfrequenz 447,5 kHz, guess were out of reach

• 05-12-2009 3:38 AM In reply to

What makes you say that ?

B&O use a carrier frequency of 455 Khz, so I expect this company is using the same IR transmitter/receiver diodes as B&O, so carrier is not going to be your problem.

The best way to get the codes is capture them, unfortunately most capture devices are not good at working at these high carrier frequencies.

Do you actually have a original remote control ? If yes, then I suggest try capturing a couple of commands for test.

Regards Keith....

• 05-12-2009 4:51 AM In reply to

• Burnix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

Keith Saunders:

What makes you say that ?

B&O use a carrier frequency of 455 Khz, so I expect this company is using the same IR transmitter/receiver diodes as B&O, so carrier is not going to be your problem.

The best way to get the codes is capture them, unfortunately most capture devices are not good at working at these high carrier frequencies.

Do you actually have a original remote control ? If yes, then I suggest try capturing a couple of commands for test.

Actually I think he is right... as far as I remember seeing in the tech spec, the 3-pty IR is limited to the frequency range of 20-80 kHz. I doubt that you can make a 3-pty product template that uses a 447 kHz carrier but I'm not 100% sure.

Br,
    Burnix

• 05-12-2009 5:00 AM In reply to

• KibitoCH
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-19-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

hmm interesting, B&O Switzerland is trying to get it to work quite a while (directly with Denmark). i tryed to capture it with the Lintronic Box but it dident work. it doesent show up. the box isent showing anything at all.

• 05-12-2009 5:46 AM In reply to

447,5 kHz versus 455 kHz is a difference of less than 2% so that should be no problem - I have a self made AVR microcontroller based IR project, which due to software timing issues can send either at around 420 kHz or 480 kHz, not between. It can control B&O devices with no problem, only the range is reduced quite a bit compared to lower carriers which can produced accurately.

The transmitter diodes are just the same for all carriers - it is what's driving them that decides the carrier (the diodes can have different IR wavelengths, but that is a completely different matter - and again, mismatch problems would just reduce the range and sensitivity, not completely prevent the control from working). I have absolutely no idea of the internal design of Beo 5, but it is possible that they have fixed hardware taking care of sending B&O control codes at 455 kHz, so it would be difficult or impossible to use that carrier for sending other protocols. The 455 kHz probably has a separate output stage (and transmitter diode) anyway because the on/off timings are so far from the others, and the power amp design needs to be different for efficiency.

Some equipment uses radio frequency control at 4xx megahertz which the Beo 5 nor the Lintronic receiver obviously know nothing about, and this might create confusion since the numbers look the same, but I suppose this isn't the case now...

-mika

• 05-12-2009 6:14 AM In reply to

• Burnix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:

447,5 kHz versus 455 kHz is a difference of less than 2% so that should be no problem

True, but the problem is that 3PTY is limited to 20-80 kHz... i.e. you cannot (to my knowledge) make a e.g. RAW that uses 455 kHz.
    The only protocol allowed to use this frequency is B&Os own protocol because then the on-time for the IR diode is known. With e.g. the RAW format, the on-time for the diodes are variable and that could cause the diodes to break due to too much power (too long on-time).

So - I doubt that you will succeed in making a third-party XML that will work with 455 kHz.

Br,
    Burnix

• 07-30-2010 2:53 AM In reply to

Hi together,

I installed version 3.87 yesterday and was surprised, that the XML file for the Feller Beamit is included. Immediately, I added the device to my configuration, but it did not work. I tried every button for toggelling, switching on and off the lights, but without success.

Has anyone tried to use this device as well?

Thanks and best regards,

hangglider

• 07-30-2010 5:00 AM In reply to

Hello Hangglider,

I have reviewed and tested the Feller Beamit XML file and it uses Philips RC6 32 bit protocol.

When I reviewed the Feller's web site I noted that they have more than one version of remote control which may use different protocols.

The only way to be certain if there is an error or it is a different remote is if you can capture one or two commands from your original Feller remote and post them and I should be able to determine if an error has been made or its for a different Feller's remote.

Regards Keith....

• 07-30-2010 5:27 AM In reply to

Hi Keith,

Thank you for the answer.

The problem is, that I`m not able to capture a command.  The whole story alreday begun two years ago. Then I wanted to use a Lintronic box to convert BEO5 commands to the Feller commands. I was in contact with Michael Lindgaard from Lintronic. I sent him the Feller remote, so he could test, if it is possible to detect the commands. He said, he is also not able to detect the signal, therefore he would need frequency information about the product. I contacted Feller to give me this information, but they were not willing to make this data public. So I gave up. In the meantime I used the original remote.

Another point is also interesting. Few months ago, I bought a Marmitek PowermidXL which transforms the IR signal to RF and back. So you are able to control a device through walls. The specification says, that all remotes are working except B&O. But after several tests I noticed, that Feller is also not working.

Would there be another possibility to capture a command?

Thank you,

Hangglider

• 07-30-2010 5:57 AM In reply to

hangglider:

I contacted Feller to give me this information, but they were not willing to make this data public. So I gave up. In the meantime I used the original remote.

The silliness of some manufacturers... nothing prevents anyone from just using an IR phototransistor and an oscilloscope to find it out anyway.

However, according to this link Feller uses 455 kHz carrier - which is the same as B&O, but unfortunately also means that Beo5 can't send it, if the information above in this thread still holds.

Another point is also interesting. Few months ago, I bought a Marmitek PowermidXL which transforms the IR signal to RF and back. So you are able to control a device through walls. The specification says, that all remotes are working except B&O. But after several tests I noticed, that Feller is also not working.

...and this also seems to support the 455 kHz theory.

-mika

• 07-30-2010 6:05 AM In reply to

Hangglider.

The key to this issue in my view in Carrier Frequency.

The Feller's XML file produced by B&O used a 36Khz carrier frequency which is correct for RC6 protocol.

The Beo5 and most IR signal converters have a Carrier Frequency range of between 30 and 80 Khz.

If Feller's uses a carrier frequency outside the 30 to 80 Khz carrier frequency range then the Beo5 will NOT be able to control it.

If you are willing to send me your original remote I will test it and give you a clear answer.

Regards Keith....

• 07-30-2010 7:02 AM In reply to

Hi Keith and mika,

It is most likely a problem of the carrier frequency. I also just found some indications, that they use 455kHz in this model.

Keith, it would be very useful for me you could analyze it. So, I would like to send you the remote. It is a very simple device with just 4 buttons.

Please send me you address, I might send it next week.

Just one simple questions: B&O uses 455kHz. Why does it not work to build a configuration, although Feller sends with the same carrier? Is this a propritary B&O frequency and cannot be used for 3rd parties?

Thanks,

Hangglider

• 07-30-2010 7:11 AM In reply to

Hangglider,

I have sent you my address by e-mail so you can send the remote.

hangglider:

Just one simple questions: B&O uses 455kHz. Why does it not work to build a configuration, although Feller sends with the same carrier? Is this a propritary B&O frequency and cannot be used for 3rd parties?

Well, in principle you can from a hardware standpoint, but the protocol used by Feller will certainly be different to B&O

Regards Keith....

• 07-30-2010 8:19 AM In reply to

Hangglider,

I tried to send you an e-mail twice, but it gets rejected with the following error:-

"Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table"

Regards Keith....

• 07-30-2010 9:53 AM In reply to

Hi Keith,

Sorry for that, I changed my email account few weeks ago and forgot to change it in my profile.

I just fixed it.

Thanks,

Hangglider

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >