in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-04-2010 1:16 PM by Dillen. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-02-2010 5:54 AM

beomaster 1700 tape problem

hi im new to beoworld Smile and i am having a little trouble with one of my old hifi's(Beomaster 1700) which i have decided to rectify after being broken for many years.

After repairing it i hooked it up to a set of speakers and double checked everything and everything worked perfectly apart from the tape, for some reason which i cant seem to workout. The problem is that both the rigth and left channels work fine when useing the radio or the phono but when it comes to using the tape only the left channel works properly, and the rigth is very very quite. My question is has anyone got any idea what is wrong and how i could sort it out???

Thanks

Chris

• 08-02-2010 7:12 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: beomaster 1700 tape problem

Chris, welcome to Beoworld !

The problem could be as simple as a broken lead inside one of the DIN plugs on the cable or
    one of the pins in the DIN socket in the Beomaster could be in need of a bit more tension.

Martin

• 08-02-2010 8:07 AM In reply to

Ah okay then martin i definetly know its not the cable so it must be the socket then. have you any idea where i could get a replacement socket ????

• 08-02-2010 11:16 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I can probably find one but let's first finish the diagnose and see if your socket is really the reason
    and if it can be repaired in the given case.
    Switch on the Beomaster and choose Tape.
    Unplug the cable and put the volume control a bit up.
    Insert an unfolded paperclip into the pinholes in the tape socket, one pin at a time and listen for
    a buzz from the speakers.
    Two of the pins, that'll be left and right respectively, should produce a healthy buzzing noise when
    you touch the paperclip.

If you have a buzz on two of the socket pins, insert the cable again. Touch the pins at the other
    end of the cable with a finger (and/or the paperclip if that's easier) and listen again.

If you also get a buzzing sound from both speakers, the problem is in the tapedeck.

If you cannot get a buzz at all from one channel, no matter what, the problem is in the Beomaster
    and it will need further diagnosing.

As mentioned, the socket pins can lose tension but that can usually be corrected by inserting
    a tiny (watchmakers type) flat-bladed screwdriver into the socket, and gently push the bronze forks
    in there closer together. You will be pushing from the outsides of the forks if you understand what I mean.
    This will introduce a little more grip around the plugs pins when inserted.
    The same can be done to the tapedeck.

Martin

• 08-02-2010 12:51 PM In reply to

Well i did what you surgested and i got a buzz from both the right and the left channels however the buzz from the rigth channel is conciderable quiter than the left and the same thing happened when i plugged in the lead aswell

Chris

• 08-02-2010 3:42 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

If you are sure that both the left and right signals are correct when
    using the turntable (Phono) input, they should
    also be correct when using Tape since there are no circuits
    associated with the Tape inputs that are not used for
    the Phono input as well.
    The problem could be the tape switch in the Beomaster but that's about it.

Martin

• 08-02-2010 4:51 PM In reply to

i double checked the phono output and both the right and left channels work fine. so i guess it could only be the switch as you surgested. what could i do to check the tape switch????

thanks

Chris

• 08-03-2010 3:53 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

An ohm-meter across the contacts will tell you if the switch is good or bad.

Martin

• 08-03-2010 6:02 PM In reply to

ya i checked the switch and i knocked one of the resistors and i didnt relise the it was on and now only the left channel works even with the radio and phono Sad any idea what i have done to stop the right channel working completely

thanks

chris

• 08-04-2010 1:12 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Did you break a component ?

Martin

• 08-04-2010 7:20 AM In reply to

As far as i can tell none of the components on the board seem to be broken i wounder if i have broken something on the output amp board ???

chris

• 08-04-2010 1:16 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

There is a little PCB board piggyback riding on the right side of the tonecontrol module.
    Try re-seating this board.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)