in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-25-2010 6:23 AM by Michael. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-19-2010 3:32 AM

• splud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2008
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Universal Remotes

Hi guys, does anyone use a Universal Remote like the Logitech Harmony 1000 for there B&O stuff, I currently have a: BV7, Beocentre 2, PS3, XBOX360 and a  WDTV all nearly use their own remotes. I know the Harmony will control all of them including the B&O, but will it also control the stand tilt and turn as we use that alot. Cheers.

• 04-19-2010 8:56 AM In reply to

Re: Universal Remotes

splud:
    I know the Harmony will control all of them including the B&O, but will it also control the stand tilt and turn as we use that alot.

Yes.

Though I don't have tilt on my Avant(s) -the turn works fine. I have not come across anything the Logitechs couldn't handle... to include pre-BL1000 coded Beo!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-19-2010 9:54 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

You could buy a Beo 5, too!

There are many XML-files for the remote to control 3rd party stuff.

additionaly you can buy the Lintronic converter from www.lintronic.dk

Great tool! 

• 04-19-2010 1:48 PM In reply to

Yes but the Beo5/Lintronic will cost A LOT more and cost you hours and hours of setup time.  Just for a remote....

• 04-19-2010 7:18 PM In reply to

Exactly!! My Logitech Harmony was $180 and controls everything I've tried..

Beo5 is close to $1000 and the Lintronic thing is about $500 so a better deal IMO

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 04-20-2010 12:16 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

I did not realise these these remotes worked on the B&O frequency.  Is there a specific model or do they all work this way? Is ther a list of commands they can send?

Thanks beoaus

• 04-20-2010 3:51 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Here in Germany:

Logitech 1100 (successor of the Logitech 1000 remote, the 1000 is not available any more) costs: 449,- Euro

Beo 5 costs 550 Euro

So not that much of a difference. You only need the Lintronic box if you want to create your OWN xml files for the Beo 5. There are many xml files still available for 3rd party control!

And the Logitech 1000 had some realy ugly bugs like cranking the volume up to maximum sometimes (which you can NOT stop because it has an integrated battery that is not removable!). You can read about this on Amazon reviews and in forums.

Just my 2 cents ;-)

Perhaps you should have a look to the Philips universal remotes, too!? 

• 04-20-2010 5:38 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Try Logitech Harmony One - sure no Beo 4 but...

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 04-20-2010 6:31 AM In reply to

I have the best (for me) solution possible. My Beo5 as a universal remote. I have used the "Beo5 programming service" that has adverts here on beoworld, with excellent results. 

IMHO, I have the best looking, best working, all in one remote possible right now. And it's the right brand. Yes -  thumbs up

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 04-20-2010 8:39 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Only issue: not very nice to handle (zapping....)

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 04-20-2010 9:01 AM In reply to

One big thing to consider with Logitech is the brilliant online configuration!

It takes a little bit of time to get used to the navigation, but you can do just about anything you want with their remotes.

If B&o had done this for the Beo5... I would have bought one... and they probably would have sold a great deal more of them!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-20-2010 9:13 AM In reply to

beoaus:

I did not realise these these remotes worked on the B&O frequency.  Is there a specific model or do they all work this way? Is ther a list of commands they can send?

Thanks beoaus

I had a Logitech in a non B&o "media" room. I always thought the same thing -that they couldn't handle B&o. I was bored and tried it. My jaw dropped when I was able to control my linked Avant and BS9000 in another room. I immediately bought another one.

Now I have (2) rooms completely controlled with Logitechs -everything works. I am still in the planning stages for a 3rd room and I will be buying another one!

Is that the end of the story? No. Having gone from "These won't control Beo" to "Hey, they will control BL1000 and up coded Beo" ...what was left? Well, I had to try the earlier gear!

Going into the experiment fully expecting failure... after some work (I had to use the LEARN feature in the software) much to my delight my BM5000 responded! Besides the MCP and T5000 -this is impossible! On to the BM8000 -yep! No problem! I can say with confidence that the Logitechs will control ANY IR based Beo!

BTW, I paid in the ~$100USD range for mine... with (2) little ones... if they break -who cares? Buy another one -plug in the USB and download the config -back in business in less than 5 minutes!

No... I don't work for Logitech! Wink

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-20-2010 10:40 AM In reply to

burantek:
    No... I don't work for Logitech

Oh i am so sorry Jaff!!!! Why did they fire you after 20 years there????

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

-Dimitris

• 04-20-2010 8:08 PM In reply to

I have the Harmony One and have had absolutely no issues with it. It has controlled every B&O item I've had so far...

I really like the config tool, and the Help button is great for SWMBO!!

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 04-21-2010 10:29 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

So Jeff,

Which remote do you have?

This thread popped up just in time because my Pana TV remote is starting to go and this will be a great excuse to get rid of the remotes clogging my end table! Laughing

Do you miss using a Beo4?

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, can you create macros?

Evan

• 04-21-2010 11:02 AM In reply to

DrDimitris:

burantek:
    No... I don't work for Logitech

Oh i am so sorry Jaff!!!! Why did they fire you after 20 years there????

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

I was considered to not be in harmony!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-21-2010 11:36 AM In reply to

evman140:

So Jeff,

Which remote do you have?

Both 880's -older models. I would buy the same again. I like the feel and the looks!

evman140:

Do you miss using a Beo4?

Yes and no... I can't argue with its design, feel, functionality, etc... biggest gripe would be visibility in the dark. The 880... well... it just works so effortlessly and has backlighting (driven by an electronic statocyst with a timeout) -it is hard to stop using. The only gripe is that it IS more "plasticy" than Beo, but as mentioned above -it has a nice feel/touch to it -sort of satiny -and it has held up very well.

evman140:

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, can you create macros?

Absolutely. A simple example is with my Avant. I set up a single button "TV" that fires off multiple commands on entry and exit. It could have been a basic (STB/TV) command... but with the e-curtains in the Avant, I needed to control the order/timing of the command execution.

I don't recall all the specifics, but it is something like this...

1.) STB ON

2.) TIME DELAY (NNNms)

3.) TV ON

Opposite order for OFF. This allows the ecurtains to open as intended to a valid picture and increasing VOL... and then decreasing VOL and closing ecurtains on OFF. Pretty simple. The challenge was nailing the correct time delay.

In my non Beo room... the macros are much more sophisticated because I am dealing with the addition of a surround receiver, dvd, AppleTV, etc... all with very different startup order/timing requirements.

I have not found anything the remotes could not handle.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-22-2010 10:08 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Thanks Jeff!

I do not have a beovision, so no problem there. Wouldn't have guessed the e-curtains were a seperate command.

The setup I will be using is pretty basic. It will consist of my BS4500, Apple dock, Pana TV, Toshiba DVD, a system selector and hopefully even a PC?

Now regarding the macros, can you have multiple sets of activities/scenes? Like use the remote for multiple setups?

Evan

• 04-22-2010 1:22 PM In reply to

evman140:

Wouldn't have guessed the e-curtains were a seperate command.

It is not... The e-curtains always function with TV ON/OFF (STBY).

The time delay was put in place so that the STB booted first and gave enough time for it to come live before booting the TV... allowing the e-curtains and VOL to work their magic as intended! Without the delay, the screen and VOL just "popped on and off".

evman140:

The setup I will be using is pretty basic. It will consist of my BS4500, Apple dock, Pana TV, Toshiba DVD, a system selector and hopefully even a PC?

A lot to chew on there...

BS4500/Panny/DVD... no problem.

Apple dock/system selector???/PC... are any of these IR controllable?

evman140:

Now regarding the macros, can you have multiple sets of activities/scenes? Like use the remote for multiple setups?

Certainly...

1.) Add "DEVICES" (TV, receiver, DVD, ATV, etc...)

2.) Add "ACTIVITIES" (Watch TV, Listen to Radio, Watch DVD, et...)

Multiple setups...

In theory yes, but I would prefer designating a remote to a room.

If you wanted to put the "works" on one remote and carry it around... I would recommend naming ACTIVITIES (e.g.) Watch TV - LR, Watch TV - BR, Listen to Radio - LR, Listen to Radio - Patio, etc...)

In theory, you could use some hierarchy... LR - TV / LR - Radio, etc... It could be done, but would require full macros to execute. I think the screen presentation would be wonky as well.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-22-2010 5:03 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

The apple dock is IR controllable, it came with an IR remote. Should not be a problem (fingers crossed).

As far as the system selector (source changer) goes, I do not have one yet but will soon. It will really refine my system (the panny only has one s-video input). 

The PC does not have an IR receiver but its ok if this isn't doable. Definitley a final touch once everything is done.

My reason for asking about the multiple setups me not wanting to buy two of these remotes.

Evan

• 04-23-2010 10:26 AM In reply to

Evan,

Look at it this way... if the device is IR controllable or can be adapted to do so (PC) then the Logitech would likely be able to control it.

You can check compatability HERE.

I think it is pretty accurate, though I have been able to control devices not listed... a good thing.

On another note... what is this system selector? Do you have an example? Or, can you explain what your purpose/intent is with such a device? I ask because it may be redundant w/ a Logitech... another good thing!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-27-2010 10:50 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

It was starting to sound like it would control ANYTHING haha.

A system selector is a device that is basically a hub for a/v sources. This enables you to route multiple sources to a tv or amp that may have a limited number of inputs.

Here is one i was considering
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/483130-REG/RF_Link_AVS_41i_AVS_41i_4x1_A_V_Switcher.html

Evan

• 04-28-2010 8:33 AM In reply to

The RF-Link AVS-41i is IR controlled and came back w/ a green light from Logitech.

If you decide you want to do this... I will be happy to help.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-28-2010 9:48 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

burantek:

The RF-Link AVS-41i is IR controlled and came back w/ a green light from Logitech.

If you decide you want to do this... I will be happy to help.

Terrific! I am going to try to get the ball rolling and I will certainly let you know once I am ready to proceed.

Thanks Jeff! Yes -  thumbs up

Evan

• 05-21-2010 11:09 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Okay Jeff this project should be starting soon, fingers crossed. Does the 880 have a timer/wake up function by chance? do any of the harmonies have a feature like that?

Parents are asking for birthday wishes so i thought of this straight away! Yes -  thumbs up

Evan

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >