in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-26-2010 3:24 PM by foosion. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-26-2010 1:13 PM

Beogram 1602 setup

I'm trying to setup my Beogram 1602, with MMC20E cartridge, that's been sitting in a box for many years.

I balanced the tonearm so that it floats, then tried dialing in weights.  Whatever weight I set, when I start the turntable, the arm starts in the right place on the record, then quickly moves in a few inches.  At higher weights, such as 2+g, music plays more or less without distortion, but at more normal weights it does not.

Any ideas what might be wrong and how to fix?

thanks

• 07-26-2010 2:09 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram 1602 setup

Welcome to BeoWorld!

foosion:
    MMC20E cartridge, that's been sitting in a box for many years.

At first glance your problem is likely right there... old cartridge w/ a shot suspension.

Do you have another one you can try?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-26-2010 2:12 PM In reply to

I would imagine it is one of two things. The most likely is that the MMC20E is no longer working properly and the suspension is failing. The higher weight allows it to work to an extent but you really need a new cartridge. 

Or the weight indication is simply wrong - you will need a stylus balance to check this.

• 07-26-2010 2:26 PM In reply to

Sounds like it's the cartridge.  I tried lots of settings for the weight, so that's not likely the problem.

Given the costs of a new cartridge, I fear the turntable will soon be off to the great bin in the sky.

thanks

• 07-26-2010 2:54 PM In reply to

foosion:
    Given the costs of a new cartridge, I fear the turntable will soon be off to the great bin in the sky.

Not necessarily, but of course only you can determine what it is worth to you...

As this was posted in the NA forum... I'll assume the states.

You can buy a new Sound-Smith SMMC20E in NY for $229.

You can try Amina Audio in GA for a re-tip ~$100 ballpark.

Or, overseas (Germany) w/ Axel  for a re-tip ~99 Euros ballpark.

I would likely avoid taking a chance w/ eBay or similar as that may be throwing good $ after bad.

You can find some info here +do a search on here for "Axel" for some evaluations!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-26-2010 3:24 PM In reply to

From the online sales I've found, the turntable is worth less than $50.  Spending twice that or more on a cartridge is not worth it to me.

thanks to all for their help

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)