in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-21-2010 7:28 AM by scanorama99. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-19-2010 2:23 PM

Assigning spdif sound to dvi dvi source on plasma?

I dont get it.. the screen I have (bv4) has got a upgrade with a dvi socket on the back of the screen. I have connected a source to that connection and I see the picture. But how do I tell beosystem-1 that it should bring out the sound from spdif 1 or 2 where I have connected a coaxial sound-cable ?

The manual only mentions scenarios where the sources are connected to the scarts, and they are unused right now..

• 09-19-2010 3:35 PM In reply to

Re: Assigning spdif sound to dvi dvi source on plasma?

anyone?

• 09-20-2010 6:52 AM In reply to

• hfat
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 176
    • Gold Member

hello scanorama 99

It is quite simple to get it work:

First SPDIF 1 is assigned to AV SCART connector. If you switch on the source specified in the connection menu for that connector BS1 will play the sound connected to SPDIF 1. To get i work together with the pictiue you have to assign the source you use for the picture to the AV connector (although there is nothing connected).

I think this will work.

hfat

• 09-20-2010 10:47 AM In reply to

Ok thanks, I will try

• 09-20-2010 2:10 PM In reply to

Hmm.. doesnt work.. I dont think the bs1 is reacting to the input signal. Maybe I have to change so that mac mini outputs something similar to a dvd.

I have set the output to digital in mac mini sound settings and a program called perian that is controlling some sort of audio is also set to output multichannel. I have tried dts,dd and multichannel, nothing works.

• 09-20-2010 2:35 PM In reply to

If I remove the toslink from the mac mini and replace it with a stereoplug that goes to a regular audio rca and connect with "decoder" scart input on my beosystem1 with this scart plug:

http://cc-tv.club24.co.uk/Scart-RCA.JPG

..I get sound instantly with computer (mac mini) picture. It´s just that it´s not surround sound.

• 09-20-2010 4:35 PM In reply to

As I already mentioned in your other topic, decoder isn't supported with a spdif input. Only Vtape, AV and an extra (optional) spdif input at the Camera input board.

Just try to assign the DVI to the AV socket and then try again.

• 09-20-2010 5:45 PM In reply to

Yes but the only problem is that no matter what source I set in AV I only get a black picture when switching to that source. There is no choice containing the word "dvi" in any choice in the AV section but several in decoder part.

• 09-21-2010 12:53 AM In reply to

• hfat
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 176
    • Gold Member

I Think you have to go into the system menu:

Menu, highlight setup, 0-0-go

then activate plasma panel setup

There you should find the assignment of the connector used for HD input.

In your config it is set to decoder at the moment, I think. So change it to VTape or AV

After this adapt the settings in the connection menu as discussed earlier.

• 09-21-2010 2:45 AM In reply to

Look where the DVI module is placed, and configure the settting below it.

Looks like this:

• 09-21-2010 5:29 AM In reply to

Ok, thanks again

I went into the servicemenu, changed slot assignment to AV and now the computer image shows up on one of the two dvi choices, dvd(dvi) and dvd2(dvi) on the AV connection section.

I changed the scartplug with its audio-rca cables connected and instantly I got regular stereo sound again.

I changed the digital cable to spdif 1 and no sound

I changed it back just to be sure, no sound.

Maybe there is something with that I need to output surround sound ? I tried to play a dvd on mac dvd-player program, no sound

Maybe the converter is broken. I have this one currently

http://www.national-tech.com/specs/toslink-to-digital-coax/10tr-08300.htm

• 09-21-2010 7:28 AM In reply to

YEs!

Got sound from the coaxial cable at last!

I can play dvd´s in apple´s own dvd player. I spoke with apple support and I had to set the dvd-player to always output digital signal and not downsample to pcm.

Is it correct that the cable connection I now have active does only play ac-3, dts, dd signals on the beosysten-1?

The mac mini only have one audio out. Do You guys walk to the computer and switch cables depending on if You want to play mp3(stereo) or dvd-movies(multichannel)?

Or is there some sort of mac utility that can "upsample" system sound to ac3 so that all system sound is hearable?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)