in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-07-2010 11:05 AM by burantek. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-05-2010 12:28 AM

Beolab 5000 grill cover question

Hi,

I recently purchased a pair of Beolab 5000's but unfortunately on one of the speakers the grill material is torn. Does anybody where I could go to purchase replacement grill cover material? I'm fairly certain it will be impossible to find OEM material which leads me to my next question, how much will replacing the grill covers with non-OEM material affect the value? Functionally they are terrific, I can't tell you how much I love the sound of these. Condition otherwise is excellent. Thanks very much for any suggestions.

• 07-05-2010 12:51 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Re: Beolab 5000 grill cover question

Basically it is whatever is available to you and/or what you want to use. Needs to be acoustically transparent (can see light through it). I hear, in the US, that JoAnn fabrics has some offerings. I think it would be a good idea to keep the original fabric to have them available for the reason of being "correct" and so that your value will not decrease. 

Evan

• 07-05-2010 2:47 AM In reply to

Hello,

You don't say where you are based but, if it's UK, Maplins is worth a try & for USA, do Radio Shack still exist?  In both cases, if material is still available, I suspect it will be a close match but not identical.  With regard to affecting the value, 'how long is a piece of string?'.  In other words, it will probably depend on the buyer.  On the other hand there are some wizards on this forum who just might know where to get the exact match.

Good luck!

John

• 07-05-2010 4:57 AM In reply to

Any thing other than the original material will have a vast effect on the value. However, with a torn fret, you should not have paid a great deal for them!

Personally, I would not entertain anything other than the original so I wouldn't buy them at any price unless I wanted them for spares.

Regards Graham

• 07-05-2010 10:31 AM In reply to

I'm sorry, I'm in the US. It seems the quest is now on. What I would like is to find material as close as possible to factory of course and I guess the only way to do that is start doing some leg work. How true on how long is a piece of string, great way to phrase that.

In regard to joeyboygolf I picked them up for $15 each. At $30 I figured I can live with the torn grill cover until I can find a suitable replacement. Thanks very much, this site is tremendous wealth of information.

• 07-05-2010 10:36 AM In reply to

Splendid advice! It hadn't occured to me to keep the original fabric. I will be certain to do so now. By the way, I had mentioned the Penta's I purchased didn't sound right earlier in another post. I took the grill covers off and all of the driver surrounds are in perfect shape. Do the controls at the bottom of the speakers have any particular order they need to be set at? Thanks again.

• 07-05-2010 12:45 PM In reply to

Bargain!!

At that price you could cover them with whatever takes your fancy. You are never going to lose money!

What model Penta are you talking about?

Regards Graham

• 07-05-2010 2:06 PM In reply to

$30USD FOR A PAIR OF BL5000?!?!?

P.S. Welcome to BeoWorld!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-05-2010 3:18 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I will pay double that if you wish to sell! Devil

Evan

• 07-06-2010 11:12 PM In reply to

I think mine are Penta 1's. The model is 6603. I must have not had the speaker cable plugged in all the way. I hooked them up again today and the sound much better, they still sound like crap as I have a mid driver out in each tower. They were the same price that I paid for the 5000's so I think I swing the price for a couple new mids. Once I get them running properly I think I'm going to look harder at the Penta upgrades available. I take it the Penta 1's aren't the most desirible of the lot.

• 07-06-2010 11:14 PM In reply to

Thank you for the kind offer but I just couldn't take advantage of a fellow Beo-phile by making such an absourd profit LOL!

• 07-06-2010 11:17 PM In reply to

I so didn't want to let that out of the bag but yes, $30 for the pair. The Penta 1's I got that day cost the same. You don't want to know what the Beocenter 9000 cost me, it was even less. Amazingly the CD & tape player both work perfectly! It's in mint condition as well with the Beolink remote. I love it. Where are you located on the east coast?

• 07-07-2010 8:40 AM In reply to

Borderline:
    I so didn't want to let that out of the bag but yes, $30 for the pair. The Penta 1's I got that day cost the same. You don't want to know what the Beocenter 9000 cost me, it was even less.

YOU ARE KILLING ME! Laughing

Borderline:
    Where are you located on the east coast?

I spend most of my time in SC... If you say you found this lot here... Super Angry

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-07-2010 10:03 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

burantek:
    I spend most of my time in SC... If you say you found this lot here... Super Angry

Your wife hasn't had one of her clearouts has she?

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 07-07-2010 10:24 AM In reply to

Stonk:

burantek:

Your wife hasn't had one of her clearouts has she?

Seems like a perfect way to sober up the household budget, make Jaff rebuy his collection every once and a while LaughingLaughingLaughing

-mika

• 07-07-2010 10:56 AM In reply to

You're safe, these were found far away in NC!

• 07-07-2010 11:03 AM In reply to

Borderline:

You're safe, these were found far away in NC!

Super Angry Some of my best pieces were "found" in NC! Where you from? Hmm

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-07-2010 11:05 AM In reply to

Sonk/Mika... I experienced one, single, solitary wife induced "clearout". I lost 100's of books. Sad

• B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)