in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-06-2010 4:32 PM by Craig. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-05-2010 4:59 AM

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Testing a Beomic 2000

Just tried to rest out a Beomic 2000 I bought, I cannot get any sound out of it. Before I contact the buyer I want to make sure I am not doing something wrong. It is fitted with a 3 pin DIN plug. Looking at the position of the pins, I thought it should work trough the AUX connection on by Beocenter 9300. Am I wrong in thinking this. Any help greatly appreciated.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-05-2010 5:38 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Testing a Beomic 2000

If it's a dynamic mic (I believe it is) it could use all three pins as a balanced output, although either of the signal pins and ground will work (at a lower level). However the signal will be very low (mV rather than volts).

Easiest way I can think of (without risking damage to you B&O gear) is to try it into the mic input of a PC which has plenty of gain (you will have to make a lead to convert Din to 3.5mm jack, and just use one signal line and ground). Also, search through the PC mic input settings, there may be a 20dB boost which could need enabling for a dynamic mic).

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-05-2010 5:38 AM In reply to

The pinout is incorrect (so you will only get signal to the left channel, possibly not even there) and in addition, the signal level from a dynamic mic is so low that you probably wouldn't hear anything from a line level AUX input anyway.

If you don't have a microphone preamp or any Beocord with a proper mic input, I guess the best you can do is measure the resistance between pins 1 and 3 (opposite on the connector). I believe it should show something around 200-600 ohms, I couldn't find the specs specifically for BM2000.

(the 3 pin DIN for microphones is usually chassis ground on pin 2 and balanced mic output on pins 1 and 3, while 5-pin DIN inputs are on pins 1 and 4 - so you probably have only one end of the microphone capsule connected anywhere now)

-mika

• 06-05-2010 6:01 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Not hugely relevant to you as a seller, but if the buyer is planning on using it for recording, it'll probably need a re-ribbon regardless of whether it's currently working or not. Ribbon elements in all ribbon mics wear out after a while, but there are plenty of people about who will install a new element for you.

It's really, really important though that you don't put any voltage across the microphone. I believe the Beomics are transformerless, and plugging them into anything producing a voltage (such as a mixer with phantom power switched on) will wreck the ribbon.

Good luck, I've been drooling over the sound of the Beomics for some time - they're great microphones! The Royer designs are based on the B&O microphones, and they've been used on many, many notable records for their distinctive sound (Thriller as an example).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-05-2010 12:18 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Thanks for the replies, the only other B&O mic I have had was a Beomic MD8. To test this I plugged in to the Phono connection on Beomaster 1000. Is the MD8 wired differently? As it too had the same 3 pin DIN plug.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-06-2010 4:32 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Found some leads and a DIN joiner thingy. Connected it up to my PC and it works perfect. Still can't make my voice sound good, but I doubt there is a mic anywhere that can do that.Laughing Thanks for the very helpful replies anywaySmile

CraigSmile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)