in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-03-2007 2:02 AM by Keith Saunders. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-30-2007 1:27 PM

Avant screen gone a bit green!

I have an Avant 32'' and I've started to notice the picture has a bit of an intermitant green cast to it.  It's not that great, not of Kermit the Frog proportions but just a bit of a greenish hue to everything.  Anyone any ideas? Hopefully it doesn't mean a new tube?

Paul

• 06-30-2007 1:43 PM In reply to

Re: Avant screen gone a bit green!

There could be several causes of your problem, but top of my list would be:-

1. The driver circuit to the green gun.
    2. The Tube

The only way to be sure is for someone with technical knowledge to monitor with a scope the three colour signals into the tube with a constant test signal the same on RGB, if the result is equal signal at the tube, then the tube is at fault. If the green signal is higher, then the problem is going to be in the driver circuit.

Frankly, unless you are an electronics or TV engineer, you will need to get your dealer to look at it.

Regards Keith....

• 06-30-2007 1:52 PM In reply to

Thanks for the quick response. I'm no TV engineer but at least that gives me some idea.  At the moment I can live with it.  How much should I budget if it is the tube?

Paul

• 06-30-2007 3:37 PM In reply to

sorry to say it's you tube, sometimes it's possible to adjust the G2 and then bay some time (if you know somebody with the know-haw)... if it's a real flat contact you dealer maybe you can get some goodwill from B&O Tongue Tied!!! 
  • 06-30-2007 4:48 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I too have seen Avants with funny coloured screens, and it's almost always a tube replacement. Sad That doesn't mean it's GOT to be a tube problem though, it's possible (but unlikely) as Keith says, that it's just the green gun control circuit gone a bit funky...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-30-2007 7:59 PM In reply to

Just going through this one myself - started as light green coming and going, after a few weeks TV "popped" when got to bright green and switched itself off.

The Avant has had a chassis change AU$600- that hasn't cured it so now having the Tube replaced AU$1200 this Friday.

The TV is 10 years old and you could question whether its worth doing VS replace it. For me I am looking at a BV7 but am waiting for the next version that has enough HDMI sockets to make it as future proof (as anything can be nowadays!). 

Hope this helps
  • 06-30-2007 9:14 PM In reply to

Yes in theory AlexWink

The problem is that the tube pulls down the control circuit for the Green gun, so when you measure it. It looks like the circuit is broken.(gone a bit funky Smile)

• 07-01-2007 5:42 AM In reply to

Thanks for all the help.  I guess I may have to consider the enevitable.  I had a tube changed on a 28'' avant recently and it only cost £400 which I thought was pretty good.  At least I can use that one when the 32'' finaly does give up the ghost.  These are such great TV's I'm really reluctant to just trash them.  I'd love a Beovision 5 but I'm going to wait until they come down a bit.  How good is the picture on a Beovision 5? Is it really worth the extra money to have an HD version?  I saw that 50'' B&O plamsa on ebay recently which I'm sure was a scam, anyone on here buy it?

Paul

• 07-01-2007 5:44 AM In reply to

What is it about Avant tubes? Are they inherently shorter lived than those of the MX/LX? I have a 5102 and a 9000 both with very sharp tubes and no colour or convergence defects, so what is different about the later 16:9 CRT's? Which are the most reliable curved or RF?
  • 07-01-2007 5:55 AM In reply to

Which version of AVANT DVD do you have, the easy way to determine is look at the 4 digit type number on the back ?

It can make a big difference to the price.

Regards Keith....

• 07-01-2007 7:10 AM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

Which version of AVANT DVD do you have, the easy way to determine is look at the 4 digit type number on the back ?

It can make a big difference to the price.

Hello Keith,

Do you know the price for a new tube replacement of avant dvd 32 RF model type 8448 (Dec 2001)?

Someone else? 

Thank you in advance. 

Santiago

• 07-01-2007 8:34 PM In reply to

There is a device call "tube re-generator" I have never used one. But it's used to blow out "slagger" from the guns. Keith or Alex have you seen this device in action or know if it will work on this fault?

(Slagger is a danish word)

• 07-01-2007 11:10 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Sorry to hear about the problem... 

Its worth noting that B&O maintain parts for 10 years from the date the product ceases production. In some cases more.

Although $1200 is a large amount you can't pick a second hand unit up for anything close. The BV7's motorised stand is more that the tube on the Avant.

Something about a tube going in a few years on a TV that was almost $14,000 new is rather frustrating though...

Good Luck Beoaus.

• 07-02-2007 2:17 AM In reply to

To start by answering Santiago first, a type 8448 is a Mark I AVANT DVD and so this means it did not have the real flat screen and also means it is about 7 years old. Many of these tubes needed to be replaced and I myself have replace one. If it is just a straight tube replacement job, then the cost will be between the £400 to £700 level depending on your dealer. However, I would offer a word of warning, the longer you run the TV with a faulty tube the greater likelihood you are to damaging the driver circuit because the tubes cathodes (in this case green) are drawing more current. So its possible to change the tube and still have problems which is exactly what happen when I changed the tube in one some years ago.

You will also have to decide if it is worth replacing the tube at all, given it is possible to buy a pre-owned Mark III AVANT with a fully flat screen for around £1,800 to £2,000

Moving to the point raised about tube re-generators, back in the Black & White days this was a very common method of providing prolonged life to a failing tube. The temperature of the tube heater would be raised dramatically above its normal working level by raising the heater voltage which would help to burn clean the cathode. I had such a device and it worked quite well and often prolonged the life of the tube for a couple of years. But as tube prices came down and they became much more reliable, these devices tended to find themselves on the scrap heap. For those people who like me who subscribed to the trade magazine called "Practical Television" until it stopped in 2006 after 50 years will be aware of these devices because there were several projects for making a tube re-generator.

Regards Keith....

• 07-02-2007 3:04 AM In reply to

Thank you Keith.

I was only curious about a replacement cost indication. In fact my avant tube happily still works great...(touching wood Big Smile).

however I'm really surprised you say that this 8448 avant 32 dvd mk1 model is NOT a real flat Surprise already in December 2001 my dealer sold it to me (brand new) as a real flat tube (from philips), after what in 5 years and a half, this is the very first time I read that this avant has not a RF tube !!!

Santiago

• 07-02-2007 4:02 AM In reply to

Santiago,

I was not totally clear in my response about the difference between Mark I & Mark II picture tubes. Whilst the Mark I was marketed as a real flat screen it was not quite true, but the Mark II really was. Without taking the AVANT apart it is not really possible to see the difference as a user and it is not a big difference, but it is different.

The Mark I picture tube is now obsolete and cannot even be ordered as a spare part any more even with the B&O 10 year spares availability policy. If you do order it you will actually get a Mark II picture tube PLUS an additional Mark II deflection module and software upgrade.

Regards Keith....

• 07-02-2007 4:15 AM In reply to

Ok, I've understood it now.

Keith Saunders:

The Mark I picture tube is now obsolete and cannot even be ordered as a spare part any more even with the B&O 10 year spares availability policy. If you do order it you will actually get a Mark II picture tube PLUS an additional Mark II deflection module and software upgrade.

That's really interesting, Thanks a lot again Keith.

Santiago

• 07-02-2007 5:31 AM In reply to

screen went green on my avant this year (bought in 2001)

after one week it blew up and died

tube replaced £700 + labour [:'(]

RR

• 07-02-2007 6:28 AM In reply to

DoubleR,

Your experience is what I was talking about earlier in this thread, if your screen shows signs of problems, the longer you keep using it, the more likely it is to cause failures in the electronics, which in turn will cost you more to fix.

Regards Keith....

• 07-02-2007 5:31 PM In reply to

...And my point about older B&O sets from the 80's and 90's having longer lasting tubes?
  • 07-02-2007 6:05 PM In reply to

thanks Keith nice to knowBig Smile

do you know if there has been a thread on the update of beolink wireless? I'm new here so I easily cut have miss it. else I will make one.

thanks again

• 07-03-2007 2:02 AM In reply to

Bang1,

There is very little on the Beolink Wireless 1, but if you have a particular question on it I suggest you start a new thread with that (those) questions.

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)