in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-29-2010 2:39 AM by IngvarW. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-27-2010 3:51 PM

BS5 Owner -- How often do you 'touch' your BS5?

Hi Guys,

I was just curious about the BS5, in specific, how often do the owners get up and actually use the BS5 hands on?

I've broken it down into a couple scenarios:

1. Find a track and then let MOTS do the rest.
    2. Find a track but constantly use a remote to change to the next song(s)
    3. Use the BS5 in person all the time
    4. Change tracks, find a new track using the BS5 and just the remote for the volume
    I'm interested in getting one and real life usage of the BS5 by the current owners would really help me decide...
    Thanks guys

• 05-27-2010 7:01 PM In reply to

Re: BS5 Owner -- How often do you 'touch' your BS5?

timhanna:

Hi Guys,

I was just curious about the BS5, in specific, how often do the owners get up and actually use the BS5 hands on?

I've broken it down into a couple scenarios:

1. Find a track and then let MOTS do the rest.
    2. Find a track but constantly use a remote to change to the next song(s)
    3. Use the BS5 in person all the time
    4. Change tracks, find a new track using the BS5 and just the remote for the volume
    I'm interested in getting one and real life usage of the BS5 by the current owners would really help me decide...
    Thanks guys

I actually use my Beosound 5 in all 4 ways you have suggested.  I have classical and rock music loaded on the Beomaster 5.  If I am listening to a classical album, I select that album and play it as if it was a CD from the beginning to the end.  If I select rock music, I will select a track and let MOTS take over.  Also if I get tired of a selection from MOTS, I usually delete it or the queue using the BS5 control.

I am looking forward to the forthcoming updates which I hope includes Apple lossless.  Recently I was disappointed in the BS5 but I have changed my mind mostly because of the updates and I especially like internet radio or n.radio function.

My BS5 is connected to Beolab 9 speakers.  The sound is amazing!

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 05-27-2010 8:52 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I also use mine in the 4 ways you describe (and a lot like Linder describes).  If I feel like a complete album, I'll get up and choose it (and usually let it go into MOTS after the album is done).  Othertimes, I'll carefully pick a "seed" song.  Lately, I've haven't been "in the mood" for much of my music (or so I thought).  I spin the wheel and randomly pick an album, then spin the wheel in the other direction to randomly pick a song (some times the rule is you *must* take the song you pick, other times I'll spin again if the song I find is way off or if I've played it recently).  This song then seeds MOTS, and I've been very pleased with the results.  It's been finding a lot of music that a) I like and b) I haven't listened to for a while.  I also have a colored list setup for my wife - she likes Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc., but MOTS will find all types of music if you seed with a crooner, and she sometimes likes to stay within the genre - so, I say, press "Yellow", and she is happy.

Stan

• 05-28-2010 2:45 AM In reply to

• glennp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-20-2008
    • Christchurch, New Zealand
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

I too use the BS5 all 4 ways,

It lets you use it, or forget it, as much as you want.

I have 4,500 songs on mine, and do find it hard sometimes to pick which song to start with. So I too spin the dial and lucky dip the 1st song.

Only thing I find is if you pick the same start song you get the playlist in the same order each time, it would be nice if it could randomly load up the playlist as you never get to the last songs

But from the moment I got it home, I haven't regretted getting the BS5   

• 05-28-2010 3:03 AM In reply to

I also use the photo functionality to show pictures and also small videos om my BV7-32. The web browser thing I have used some times and then also watched TV-programs from the TV-stations web-TV-play sites. That is a really good thing.

Brgds Ingvar

Collector since 1996, BS5/BM5, BL3*4, BL11, BEO6, BV10-46, BL2000, MX4002, Beocom6000, Beotalk1200

• 05-28-2010 3:09 AM In reply to

• LarsH
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-23-2007
    • Uppsala, Sweden
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

I Interesting, may I ask how to start up the web-TV play.

For example, I don't have the Swedish TV5, but as I understand it, I could then open up tv5.play.se and see a program?

BR/Lars

• 05-28-2010 6:23 AM In reply to

Thanks for everyone's help so far... do you guys think that it is worth its price tag? There is no doubt that it is nice, but the price is almost similar to a brand new BeoSound 9000 and a pair of BL3 speakers!

• 05-28-2010 6:32 AM In reply to

This is a fantastic product and I also use it in all four ways - plus a fifth way. Mostly I simply select a track and let the MOTS take over. It always comes back with a wonderful playlist. If I then (eventually) want to change the mood I simply select another track.

The are a couple of great thing about the MOTS. Firstly you get to hear such a variety of artists - without this you would be constantly changing the disk or the track. Secondly you get to hear music you forgot you had, or even never knew you had. Some of my daughter's music comes up and I think - mumm that is rather nice, who is that?

Which brings me to the fifth way of using this product - just getting up and looking at the screen to see who is currently playing. 

The one thing that irrates me is the need to adjust the volume at times when a new track starts. It would be great if they volume was equalized across all songs based on the current volume settings. 

• 05-28-2010 6:42 AM In reply to

Good point I guess, there will be interaction from checking what's playing.

I have a BV1 in the bedroom, does anyone know if its possible to activate N.MUSIC using a BV1?

• 05-28-2010 7:54 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

timhanna:

I have a BV1 in the bedroom, does anyone know if its possible to activate N.MUSIC using a BV1?

Should be possible if your BV1 is in V.OPT 2 or 6. N.MUSIC command is the same as the (old) A.TAPE2. N.RADIO is the same as PHONO.

PC won`t be possible, because older Beovisions can`t detect PC command. So no PHOTO or WEB on your Link TV.

I`m using my BS5 in 5 ways:

- Find a track and then let MOTS do the rest

- Find a track but constantly use a remote to change to the next song(s

- Use the BS5 in person all the time

- Change tracks, find a new track using the BS5 and just the remote for the volume

- Cleaning BS5

My BS5 is placed next to the sofa on a side table, where my BL7000 was placed before. So it`s very comfortable to use it.

However I`m waiting for a sw update with improved TV (on screen) navigation for N.MUSIC and N.RADIO !!

Stefan

• 05-28-2010 8:19 AM In reply to

Thanks stefan!

I always appreciate your replies, just what I want to hear all the time.

I'm using iTunes and for compilation albums, I've entered the name of the series in the artist field,

I.e.

Arist: Best of Rock... (for example)

:. Album: The First CD1

:. Album: The First CD2

And within each song, I have added: Album Artist as the artists of the individual song... will this way of label work on the BS5?

• 05-29-2010 2:39 AM In reply to

I haven´t tried TV5 in sweden but SVT play works fine with their solution for showing old programs or online broadcasting via the web. Its the BM5s functionality for web browsing via TV that I use. I have a phonocable and a DVI cable connected to the TV. I guess if I also connect a composite it will also work via the Link-TV.

TV4s solution for programplay doesn´t work when I have tried it though...

Brgds Ingvar

Collector since 1996, BS5/BM5, BL3*4, BL11, BEO6, BV10-46, BL2000, MX4002, Beocom6000, Beotalk1200

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)