in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-22-2010 2:26 AM by Noah. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-03-2010 2:51 PM

• Lammy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2010
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Upgrading the STB chip in an Avant

Hi all,

I have managed to get hold of a later STB chip for my Avant 32 and was wondering if this is an easy DIY job. My B&O dealer was quoting £180 to do the job but seeing as my Avant which I paid over £5k for is only worth about £100-200 now I thought I might as well have a go myself!

Any suggestions gratefully received Smile

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

• 05-03-2010 3:21 PM In reply to

Re: Upgrading the STB chip in an Avant

You'll need an earthing strap and a small flat bladed screwdriver.  And a Torx set to take the back off.

• 05-03-2010 3:48 PM In reply to

£180!!!!!!!Is he kidding

If you are pretty handy it takes about 15-20 min to do it

• 05-04-2010 2:12 AM In reply to

15-20 mins?  Are you having lunch and making a telephone call at the same time?!?!?!  5 mins tops, £180 seems a mite too high but then again the guy might need to travel 50 miles each way so who knows?

• 05-04-2010 3:48 AM In reply to

• Noah
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2008
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 120
    • Silver Member

Hi there

I would like to do the same with my Avant! Did you manage to change the chip? My dealer told me that it is quite dangerous to do that job by myself. Is that true?

Regards, Noah

• 05-04-2010 4:20 AM In reply to

The task of changing the chip is not "dangerous" but does need care.

You will need an anti-static mat and wrist strap particularly important if your AVANT is in a room with carpet and you are wearing leather shoes for example. You can destroy the chip and other components if you body has a built up a static charge, hence the need for an earthed wrist strap to immediate discharge any static before it becomes an issue.

The chip is contained within a small shielded box on the inside of the rear printed circuit board. The picture below shows the box with the earthed screen lit removed.

A plastic tool should be used to remove the old chip and carefully put the new chip in the socket noting the location of the corner cut off to ensure it goes in the correct way round.

For someone who has done the task before it will take them no more than 10 minutes including taking the back off the TV etc.

Regards Keith....

• 05-04-2010 10:48 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Agree, I did mine when I got my Avant. It took me about 10 mins.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-05-2010 3:43 PM In reply to

• Lammy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2010
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for all your replies. My chip came this morning so I will be giving it a go tomorrow when my wife stops watching the TV!

• 05-06-2010 2:53 PM In reply to

• Lammy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2010
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

OK so I've got the rear panel off. How do I get to the STB card? How many connectors do I have to remove to be able to pull the card out. Its looking like its going to be much more difficult than I thought. Is it the card that the grey cable for the IR is connected to? I know I'll have no problem with replacing the chip but for the moment I have no idea how to get the card out.

Thanks for your help!

• 05-20-2010 7:45 AM In reply to

• Noah
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2008
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 120
    • Silver Member

Hey there

I tried to do it too! I think it is to difficult for someone who did that job never before.Confused There are to many things to do I guess to get hands on the STB card. I am going to get a technician to my house to change the STB chip. The repair of something I damage in there would be way more costly than just get someone who can do this in minutes!

Regards, Noah.

• 05-20-2010 4:32 PM In reply to

• Lammy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2010
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Completely agree Noah. I gave up and put it all back together again. Knowing how clumsy I can be, I didn't want to risk cocking it up!

• 05-21-2010 12:40 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Pretty sure you leave the card connected. From what I remember.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-21-2010 3:10 PM In reply to

I guess it is tricky, you basically locate a clip on the right-hand-side of the board which allows the PUC chip board to push out and from there you can leave it connected and slip it back towards you to gain access.  Putting it back in is a reversal of taking it out - just feel for a plastic clip sticking up on the right-hand edge of the board.

• 05-22-2010 2:26 AM In reply to

• Noah
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2008
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 120
    • Silver Member

Hi

Mine was changed yesterday! Cost me around GBP100.-. It took the B&O guy 10 minutes to change it...

Regards, Noah.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)