in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-02-2010 11:56 AM by XavierItzmann. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-29-2010 10:31 PM

Apple's New Invention. Or Is It?

Just came across this story:

Apple Patents The Invisible Button:

"...One of Apple’s famous minimalist design principles is to get rid of buttons whenever possible. With touchscreen devices like the iPhone and iPad, almost all of the buttons appear when needed on the screen. But what about Macbooks with aluminum casings? A new patent application titled “Disappearing Button or Slider” shows that Apple is at least thinking about how to bring elements of touch computing to all devices by replacing buttons and other controls with capacitive controls which appear only when needed."

The narrative:  Apple is amazing. Look they're inventing the future. Buttons on glass that appear only as the specific functions are needed! And on aluminum too! Wow!

Oops. I forgot this is Beoworld and some of us had the future many years ago.

If you're an Apple fan boy I can hear you say: "but it's not the same technology. Yadah yadah yadah..."

I know, but it's the same concept.

Apple gets all the credit. That's no fun. Alas, that's business.

• 04-30-2010 1:12 AM In reply to

Re: Apple's New Invention. Or Is It?

beo-ap:

Correct! BM1900?

But I guess the BC2 is more to the point.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-30-2010 6:13 AM In reply to

I don't see this as a good idea, I already have much trouble with the MacBook Pro's flat keyboard, it's nice looking but that's all, so a keyboard with no sensitive feedback is going to be a nightmare for people who type during hours, it's also against any secretary's training (no, no, I'm no secretary!) since people are supposed to type while looking at the screen, not the keyboard; if you need to look at the keys you type like an amateur..

This is like the Ipod touch vs the BeoSound 2, I prefer a tactile feedback rather than watching the player all the time and running into people or cars while walking (or driving).Surprise

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 04-30-2010 6:33 AM In reply to

I thought that B&O had a patent on translucent aluminium..

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 04-30-2010 11:08 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

I think it was 'trans-illuminated aluminum', not translucent.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 04-30-2010 12:51 PM In reply to

beo-ap:

Just came across this story:

Apple Patents The Invisible Button:

"...One of Apple’s famous minimalist design principles is to get rid of buttons whenever possible. With touchscreen devices like the iPhone and iPad, almost all of the buttons appear when needed on the screen. But what about Macbooks with aluminum casings? A new patent application titled “Disappearing Button or Slider” shows that Apple is at least thinking about how to bring elements of touch computing to all devices by replacing buttons and other controls with capacitive controls which appear only when needed."

The narrative:  Apple is amazing. Look they're inventing the future. Buttons on glass that appear only as the specific functions are needed! And on aluminum too! Wow!

If you're an Apple fan boy I can hear you say: "but it's not the same technology. Yadah yadah yadah..."

I know, but it's the same concept.

Apple gets all the credit. That's no fun. Alas, that's business.

I guess I would describe myself as an Apple fanboy and a B&O fanboy albeit an older one.  Apple may not have invented the concept but they will be the one to take it to the mass market.  It's already in use on the Apple wireless keyboard for the power light and a few other things.

You are correct because this was on my Beomaster 2400 a long time ago.  I remember the comments at the time that it was too Star Trek looking and then I would remind everyone that in Star Trek, they used rocker switches.

I wonder why B&O didn't use touch screen for the Beosound 5?  I like the design and the engineering but they could have done better.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 04-30-2010 7:34 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Regarding innovation, B&o is being eaten alive by Mac. It's devastating.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 05-01-2010 10:58 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

linder:

I wonder why B&O didn't use touch screen for the Beosound 5? 

Fingerprints.  Personally, I'm glad it's not a touch screen.  I'd have to clean it after every use.

The BS3 also has these really amazing buttonless buttons which look cool and offer a "wow".  Unfortunately, from a practical perspective, they are a bit of a detriment when I'm trying to control it in the dark.

Stan

• 05-02-2010 3:52 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Dave:

Regarding innovation, B&o is being eaten alive by Mac. It's devastating.

Maybe it's just that Apple has a louder voice (at the moment)?

The thing with buttons is rather subjective.  For example, I've had to replace my iphone after 18 months because the home button died.  I'm not a heavy user of the iphone, but if it just has 2 buttons and the main one dies, what is the point of making them invisible LOL. 

BTW didn't B&O actually invent the click wheel but didn't patent it in time and Apple did and that's what spawned the ipod, or am i getting my wires crossed?

• 05-02-2010 11:56 AM In reply to

BeoCom 6000, 1998

iPod, 2001

B&O CEO a few years ago: "we didn't patent it"

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)