in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-18-2010 10:52 PM by Razlaw. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-17-2010 10:07 AM

AST question, opinions

Any opinions as to whether using AST with the setup diagramed below would make it worth adding the two extra speakers?  Xs mark seating positions on a sectional sofa as well the chair on the right.   I already have the speakers and new TV with AST is on its way so just a question of whether it is worth running the wires to the speakers and programming the AST. Thanks!

/ -----------------------------------------------------l
                                                                 /          BL9             BV7/BL7-4                BL9
                                                              /                                                                             l
                                                           /
                                                        /

l                                                                                    l

l

l                                                                                     i
                                                               X

l                                                                                     i
                                                               X

i        corner sectional sofa                                                 i
                                                                                                                            chair
                                                                      X      X      X
                                                       l    BL1                                                               BL1        i
                                                       --------------------
                                                                                 lBeolab 4000 could be added
                                                                                 l
                                                                                 l
                                                                                 lBeolab 4000 could be added

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 04-18-2010 7:46 AM In reply to

• richu
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-02-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

Re: AST question, opinions

I think, those additional BL4000 would help anything. Your setup with the sofa and all other loudspeakers looks good.

BTW. I just configured AST on my BV7-40 (with 2xBL6000, BL7-4, 2xBL4).

For the TV profile, I disabled AST because AST doesn't support Dolby Digital 5.1 Input to pure Dolby Digital 5.1 output (it will use a Dolby + PLIIx Movie).

Your setup looks similar to mine.

You will disable AST for TV/VIDEO and define the distance from each loudspeaker to the corner of your sofa.

You can enable AST for another profile for the chair. But the add. BL4000 won't really improve the sound.

I added two AST AUDIO profiles for two different seating positions because they are not centered to the VIDEO-viewing postion.

• 04-18-2010 8:27 AM In reply to

Thanks. What you are saying is what my dealer has also said. My thought was I could add the 4000s and set them both up as a center rear or as left and right rear and in that way have 6.1 or 7.1 surround instead of 5.1 and the AST would would take care of the less than ideal positions of the rear speakers.

• 04-18-2010 12:54 PM In reply to

I agree. The speakers' position wouldn't add to the setup. If you could add them as side channels for 7.1 it would add something, though. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-18-2010 7:50 PM In reply to

How do I do that? I only see options for surround and rear speakers in our current BV7. no option for side.

• 04-18-2010 8:14 PM In reply to

Razlaw:

How do I do that? I only see options for surround and rear speakers in our current BV7. no option for side.

Sorry, in the menu, the side speakers are the "surround" and the back speakers are "rear"

The issue is that you have BeoLab 1s in the rear right now and they would be best utilized as surrounds if you were to add 4000s to the rear. Unless you're attached to them, I'd trade the 1s in toward two pairs of 3s and get the best system you can get. The 1s are awkward in many ways as surround channels.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-18-2010 10:52 PM In reply to

But all of the diagrams in the BV7 reference book show surrounds just behind and to the side of the listening positions and the rears centered and behind?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)