in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-30-2010 9:01 AM by timhanna. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-28-2010 6:31 PM

Mac Mini and Link Distribution

Hi Guys,

I finally bought a mac mini to act as a dedicated media server. My setup is: BV7-40 MK3 with BS Ouverture in lounge and BV1 in bedroom, BL2000 in kitchen.

I think there will be no probs outputing the mac mini sound via toslink + spdif adapter to the BV7, however, I also want to split the signal in order to listen to the music via the ouverture in my bedroom and kitchen (a.aux). I think that the BV1 doesnt recognise the PC command...

So my thinking was:

Mac Mini + 3.5mm jack splitter:

--> then attach the spdif/toslink cable to the BV7

--> then attach ta normal 3.5mm jack cable to the Ouverture for A.AUX distribution.

My question is that will this 3.5mm jack splitter affect the outgoing signal resulting in a loss of the quality for the BV7?

Thanks

• 03-29-2010 12:33 AM In reply to

Re: Mac Mini and Link Distribution

Hi Timhanna,

From my experience splitters never help to improve quality. But for  cost of jack splitter you can just try. 

Tell us more about your plan for Mac Mini mediacenter ? Which Software will you use ? 

Mat

• 03-29-2010 1:55 AM In reply to

Thanks Mat.

Im thinking about using Boxee. Now there is an iPhone app for it as well, and I have the STB for it. So its full control. I paid £250 for the mac mini with 2GB Ram and 120GB HDD, which is loads cheaper than any other decent solution that I've had to consider. Worse case its still a very usable computer.

with the use of arRsync, i can synchronise anything I want from my iMac etc. I also have a NAS drive, and Boxee picks it up, no probs.

Only worry is that I have managed to crash boxee loads of times already during the initial bash, but once it has finished scanning my pc and nas, it seems to be ok.

I got all the cables etc needed, so just waiting for them to come through the post and if it all goes well, ill update this thread :)

• 03-29-2010 1:56 AM In reply to

P.S. The other advantage is that using my iPhone, I can control anything I want to listen to in the Linkroom (just need to figure out what to do with this splitter)...

• 03-29-2010 2:48 AM In reply to

Answer in the thread:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/32508/266711.aspx#266711

• 03-29-2010 5:14 AM In reply to

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the post, I checked the prices of the DACMagic and they go for around £250-£300!

If I didn't go for this option, then if I set the mac to output in analog, a simple y-splitter would work I guess.

If I replace my bedroom TV with a BV8 for example that can accept the 'PC' command, would the current setup suffice? I.e.

Have everything connected from the mac to the bv7 via SPDIF and DVI, and choose to just listen to the sound via masterlink? Will the TV distribute SPDIF-in sound to the ouverture etc?

• 03-29-2010 5:33 AM In reply to

I think I got it!

Why don't I just use an Apple AirPort Express!? Then I can have that connected to the Ouverture.

This would then let me:

1. Itunes :- Stream over WiFi from the Mac Mini to the Ouverture, then to the BV1
    2. Boxee :- Keep the SPDIF... etc cable to the BV7.

Thanks Apple :)

And thanks to BeoWorld :)

• 03-29-2010 6:09 AM In reply to

timhanna:

Hi Guys,

I think there will be no probs outputing the mac mini sound via toslink + spdif adapter to the BV7, however, I also want to split the signal in order to listen to the music via the ouverture in my bedroom and kitchen (a.aux). I think that the BV1 doesnt recognise the PC command...

I think it will work, so in that case you don't need a jack splitter for your Ouverture.

• 03-29-2010 6:12 AM In reply to

Exactly DoubleU and no DACs!

Apple really is as far as I want to diverge from B&O... I always feel like if I start using other equipment... I'm doing something "wrong" hehe

• 03-29-2010 6:43 AM In reply to

Just to answer a question above, before you decided for the Airport Express.

If you connect the Mac mini to the BV7 using digital, you cannot get the sound in a link room. Only analog (Sound and / or picture) get distributed.

• 03-29-2010 7:36 AM In reply to

Thanks again Phil,

I guess this Beonet is the one to wait for...

• 03-29-2010 10:53 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

You can use a Philips HD 1500 headphone surround amp. It accepts digital PCM, DD 5.1, DTS. The input signal will be converted to analogue stereo and the digital in will be passed through simultaneously. So connect your mini to digital in and both digital and analog out to your BV7. I used this solution when I had a mac mini connected to my BV7-40 MKIII and it worked great. The Philips HD 1500 is about 70 Euros second hand.

Hope this helps.

Stefan

• 03-29-2010 10:57 AM In reply to

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for all your help. The thing is that since my BV1 doesn't accept the PC command, I still won't be able to access the music, right?

Does this option offer any advantages over the Airport Express solution?

• 03-29-2010 11:31 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Why not assign your Mac to V.AUX - should work with your BV1...

Stefan

• 03-29-2010 11:35 AM In reply to

But doesn't the BeoSystem 3 process the signals of the V.AUX/V.MEM ?

• 03-29-2010 11:44 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Sorry ???

Stefan

• 03-29-2010 1:10 PM In reply to

Sorry Stefan, I was saying that I though we had to use the PC connection because otherwise the BeoSystem 3 tries to process the video. With PC mode, the signal from the mac mini in this case would be sent in as it is?

Or does it not matter?

• 03-30-2010 4:43 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

PC and V.AUX are both video sources, so should not matter...

Stefan

• 03-30-2010 4:59 AM In reply to

That's perfect then! Thank you Stefan!

Yesterday, I FINALLY setup my first Video BeoLink! I only had the masterlink connected to the BV1 but now I setup the antena coaxial too! Its great! DTV works! DVD from BV7 works! And a STB box works (but there is no PUC control :( )!!!

What I really want to do now is to distribute the mac mini, that would be my ultimate setup. So i need a way to:

1. Pass the DVI + Optical Audio to the BV7
    2. Downscale the DVI + Audio to Analog so that I can BeoLink it!

I found only one solution for this:

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/view_product_standard.php?product=1001184&show=55&sub1=55

Is there anything else? The problem is that its the price of another mac mini! And can accept 1920x resolution from the DVI, just the HDMI. It will accept 16??xx

I really am starting to miss the Good Old B&O solutions! No scaling, no adapters, no rubbish!!!!

• 03-30-2010 5:18 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

I would have recommended the CM-388, BUT as your Mac mini has DVI out, you will need the coax in of the CM-388 (in addition to a opt. - coax converter). The coax input signal will NOT be converted to analog. See manual. Sorry....

I think it will accept lower resolutions, 1920x1080 is just max. resolution.

"I really am starting to miss the Good Old B&O solutions! No scaling, no adapters, no rubbish!!!!"

Yes, this is my thought sometimes, too......

Stefan

• 03-30-2010 6:02 AM In reply to

:( So close yet so far everytime!

It does everything, but just decides not to bother with the audio... typical :p

So i guess its still not the right solution!

• 03-30-2010 8:32 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

I had a Mac mini as media center connected to my BV7-40 MKIII, then switched to TVIX 6500 - can output digital and analog audio simultaneously - then switched to LG BD 390. It`s a Blu-Ray player with USB and ethernet connections, so you can play files (movies, audios, photos) from external HDs. BD 390 outputs digital and analog audio AND video simultaneously. It has an audio- and photo section (that I never use - I have a BS5) and a YouTube function. And it can be controled by the PUC. Also decodes HD audio - DD True HD, DTS HD....Price: 240 Euros. Just connect HDMI, Scart via RCA adapter, ethernet- wlan is also integrated. Assigned as DVD2 and accessible from all linkrooms via Beo4/5. Great picture, great sound. I`m more than satisfied....

Stefan

• 03-30-2010 9:01 AM In reply to

:(

Yeah its not easy... worse case I can chicken out and just use analogue I guess...

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)