in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-21-2010 4:55 PM by Peter. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-20-2010 3:06 PM

And for my next project...

Hi all:

I was wondering what your thoughts were on this. When I have graduated teacher training and secured a job (hopefully soon), I aim to buy a Keracoloe shell and put a new TV inside. Unfortunately all LCD screens now have the wrong aspect ratio so I was thinking that I would put a b&o 28" CRT inside the cabinet thus enabling me to enjoy the TV as a decent set.

I understand that CRTs are dangerous beasts regarding the power that goes through them etc. However, in practical terms if the TV is switched off and allowed to discharge properly is it simply a case of removing the old case and securing the new TV gutts into the Keracolor chasis? Or do boards etc have to be aligned in a particular way?

Also, is there any other risk of shock other than not allowing the PSU to power down before messing around with it?

If this is all far too dangerous in peoples' opinions I would pay someone to do this for me.

Thanks

Graham

PS This is just in thought stage and not thought through stage so if it is obviously impossible for me do this by myself or with the help of a qualified engineer, please feel free to tell me.

• 03-21-2010 4:55 PM In reply to

Re: And for my next project...

I think this would be possible though not easy. There should be plenty of space in the Keracolor set but the chassis will clearly be completely different and the speaker arrangement will also differ. I certainly think that if you are not experienced in TV repair that this will be hazardous!! I think it most likely that the end result will not be something that you are happy with. 

However I would start with something cheap - an older MX might be a reasonable donor as the chassis is quite compact. 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)