in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-24-2010 6:38 AM by majand. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-21-2010 11:44 AM

Equipment for passive loadspeakers

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:SimSun; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-alt:宋体; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 680460288 22 0 262145 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@SimSun"; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 680460288 22 0 262145 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun;} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0cm; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Hi,
    I bought a house with an existing B&O installation, which I am trying to figure out how to get working again. The problem is that a previous owner has taken most of the equipment with him and I am left with the cable installation, some passive loudspeakers and IR receivers.

Three rooms (bedroom, hall and library) have a pair of passive speakers (Jamo Art) controlled be a square IR receiver (type 2047). The living room has a circular eye and outlets for a pair of active speakers. All the cables connect to the library, which served as the main room. There is also a ML cable from the library to the kitchen. The ML cable has three ML connectors wired in parallel in the library.  From the end point in the kitchen, there are passive loudspeaker cables and a cable for an IR eye placed outdoors under a roof close to the pool. The actual IR-eye is removed by a previous house owner.

I have figured out that to get the outdoors speakers to work in a B&O system I need the Beolink Passive control box and an outdoor case and a new IR eye. To get a pair of active speakers to be controlled by the existing IR eye in the living room I need a Beolink Active control box.

But for the other three passive speakers I have not figured out what equipment to use. I have read that 2047 is part of the MCL X-TRA Speaker Kit with the MCL 2A relay box. The cable end of the 2047 cable which should connect to the MCL2A relay box does not have connectors attached, which makes me thinking that the previous owner might have made some home-made connection with these cables.

I have not purchased any equipment yet for the main room/library, so from that perspective I am open to using e.g. older equipment with built-in amplifiers if that would help.

Do you know what would be the best alternative to get the passive loudspeakers to work with a minimum of equipment?

• 02-21-2010 11:54 AM In reply to

Re: Equipment for passive loadspeakers

At a guess, this has been an evolving system. I suggest there was an older system which used MCL which was later replaced with a newer ML system. You need to decide what system you wish to use. The fact you have an ML system as well means that you are relatively free to try anything! 

A suggestion!

I would get an MCL system for audio - a Beosystem 7000 would be superb and very capable of powering all the passive speakers. You need some three pin DIN plugs which a B&O dealer can supply. Look at the wiring diagrams on Beotech for help. I would then get a newer B&O TV - an Avant or if you want flat screen, a Beovision 5 would be perfect. Both are cheap these days. You will need a Beolink converter to connect the TV to the audio and then you can connect the ML to the Avant. 

Alternatives would involve a ML/MCL converter to power the MCL system and you could then use a newer audio system.

Have a look at the reference site and decide what you like and get back to us and we can tell you what else you will need!

• 02-21-2010 4:28 PM In reply to

You are probably right in that it started as an MCL system. The house is built 1993. Would the three IR receiver cables from the 2047's connect to the Beosystem 7000 as well without any additional equipment in between?

And could all three pair of speakers be connected by one Beomaster 7000 and be controlled individually? That would be great.

I just talked to a guy selling a Beosystem 7000 who thought it had only two pair of outlets for passive speakers. In that case I would need an extra amplifier I guess, maybe a beolink passive?

I checked some Avant TVs, they are really cheap nowdays. I might get a 32 inch.

/Mats

• 02-24-2010 6:38 AM In reply to

• majand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-26-2008
    • Helsinki
    • Posts 72
    • Gold Member

Hello!

You will need one relay box for each of the IR receivers. The receiver cable is connected inside the relaybox, to a connection block, using screws. Then the relay boxes are connected to the Beomaster via a link cable. This one will connect to one pair of loudspeaker sockets. There can be up to 4 relay boxes in one loop. They are daisy chained. So, you will have one pair of sockets to use in the same room as the Beomaster and the other one for the link rooms.

Also the passive speakers are connected to relay box, with normal DIN speaker connectors.

You can then control the system from each room, but since you only have one amplifier, so you cannot get different sources sametime in different rooms.

Pekka

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)