in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-03-2010 11:36 AM by linder. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-02-2010 6:32 PM

Why doesn't Apple buy B&O?

Not a new issue, but I just stumbled on this 2008 suggestion. Someone else can see the synergies.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 02-02-2010 8:22 PM In reply to

• Hungedu
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Ambergris Caye, Belize
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

Re: Why doesn't Apple buy B&O?

That would be wonderful! Maybe the Mac would finally have a Blu-Ray player and an HDMI port, and Bang & Olufsen would be more technologically up-to-date. Both sides win!

BeoVision 7-55 3D, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound 8, BeoLab 7-6, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Form 1 headphones, Beo 4 remote.

• 02-02-2010 8:58 PM In reply to

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-02-2010 9:30 PM In reply to

LOL

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 02-03-2010 2:50 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

vikinger:

Not a new issue, but I just stumbled on this 2008 suggestion. Someone else can see the synergies.

This is one of those crazy subjects that rears it's head over and over and, quite frankly, isn't thought through at all

Simply put: why would they? Apple are a computer and phone manufacturer with lots of patents and an advanced R&D department covering the areas of their business. Probably one of the best in the business.

B&O have a tiny R&D department, develop few of their own technologies that Apple would require, have almost zero patents and their speciality is getting the best picture from off-the-shelf components and turning other people's tech in to something very sexy. That's about it, quite frankly.

Since when do companies such as Apple buy in to a completely different business model - one losing money - just 'for the sake of it'. It sounds more like a question my 9-year-old nephew would ask me "I have a solution, Apple have loads of spare cash, why don't they buy B&O?". Doh.

• 02-03-2010 3:02 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Maybe we should start a "Should Apple buy B&O" or "Should B&O buy Apple" forum.

We can also put all the "why doesn't B&O work better with Apple" threads in it!

Should tidy the General forum up a bit!Big Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-03-2010 3:15 AM In reply to

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

"Why doesn't Apple buy B&O? "

What a horrible thought..........

/riis

• 02-03-2010 4:18 AM In reply to

It would be a disaster!

If Apple did buy  B&O,  B&O would become a 'boutique' brand within the Apple portfolio but it is inlikely that it would retain it's independence. They would be most likely to retain design and marketing in house, but outsource manufacturing to China like Bose do now with their Audio products.

• 02-03-2010 4:48 AM In reply to

Puncher:

Maybe we should start a "Should Apple buy B&O" or "Should B&O buy Apple" forum.

We can also put all the "why doesn't B&O work better with Apple" threads in it!

Should tidy the General forum up a bit!Big Smile

LaughingLaughingLaughing   My thoughts too.

If B&O share price keeps falling and the company still needs investment funds and is losing sales, a take-over by somebody is inevitable [or the company goes under.]

I'd rather it be the likes of Apple. If someone thought that this was a good idea in mid 2008, financially its now a much better idea in 2010. 

Graham

EDIT Apple >$30billion cash reserves. B&O circa $400million market value???

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 02-03-2010 5:04 AM In reply to

Although many still see Apple as a company making niche "premium" products, Apple itself does not see itself that way and they are trying to push as many product as they can into our hands.

Associating themselves with B&O would reinforce this image that they are trying to get rid of.

I actually think that Apple will eventually kill B&O. Apple has all the technology to make a digital Masterlink type distribution technology. When they have made products that compete with B&O (Apple TV/Beomedia1, iPhone/Serenata, iPod/Beosound6), Apple beats B&O on some of its own strong points: useability and design.

Apple could very easily make a TV that would look just as elegant as some B&O.

The only domain where I do not see them competing with B&O is speakers.

• 02-03-2010 7:19 AM In reply to

Apple taking over B&O will never happen and I don't see any good coming from that anyways.

However, one thought is that maybe B&O should hire Jonathan Ive (Apple's designer) to 'rethink' their design policy.
    At least he is someone who has a product vision and good sense of combining (computer) technology and user interaction.  

Just an idea.

• 02-03-2010 8:28 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

We do have a B&O / Mac forum

shall i move these Apple / B&O related topics to that forum ?

• 02-03-2010 8:40 AM In reply to

Ignace:

We do have a B&O / Mac forum

shall i move these Apple / B&O related topics to that forum ?

I don't think moving threads does any good after they've started rolling... those who would like to follow them get lost, and those who usually only read through the "Not read" feature (like me) wouldn't notice any difference anyway.

-mika

• 02-03-2010 11:36 AM In reply to

cooldude:

Apple taking over B&O will never happen and I don't see any good coming from that anyways.

However, one thought is that maybe B&O should hire Jonathan Ive (Apple's designer) to 'rethink' their design policy.
    At least he is someone who has a product vision and good sense of combining (computer) technology and user interaction.  

Just an idea.

Jonathan Ive has about 4 more years on his current contract with Apple.  There is no way B&O could pay his salary.  His stock options are probably worth more than B&O's total value.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)