in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-03-2010 10:45 AM by vikinger. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-03-2010 8:40 AM

What will happen with 32'' screens in the future

What do you think will happen with 32'' or smaller screens in the future as they can not be full HD? Will B&O discontinue BV8 32'', BV7 32'' and other smallers screens in near future?

• 02-03-2010 9:07 AM In reply to

Re: What will happen with 32'' screens in the future

Who says 32" can't be full HD? There are panels on the market, B&O is just not using them. Loewe is building some 32" full HD sets for instance. If this makes sense in terms of picture quality is another story.

Besides this bv8 32" is already discontinued, see the news and the thread in the english forum. No such news about bv7, at least so far. I think it's a pity as I don't like "big" tvs >32". Way too dominant in the room for my taste.

.b

• 02-03-2010 9:39 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

32" full HD panels are available, they are made by Sharp...

But the real problem is that the development of 32" panels is totally stopped, so you are stuck with an outdated panel. That's a real issue for high end brands like B&O & Loewe : they can't produce 32" TVs that meet today's standards for high end picture quality.

If you want 32", you should consider a Sony or other Kikinoko brand (and add some Beolabs...), as buying B&O for this kind of panel doesn't provide you enough value for money.

• 02-03-2010 10:18 AM In reply to

I also think this raises the old age question of: screen size vs. viewing distance vs. resolution.

I have an old 30" Philips 720 crt set that is utterly breath-taking.

In this size range, is "full HD" even needed?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-03-2010 10:35 AM In reply to

Many people live in apartment dwellings where bigger screens wouldn't blend as well as smaller ones. I live in Hong Kong a few months of the year and almost all people, even lower high class, live in apartments. A 40" may fit in a living room, but what about the bedroom? Even a 32" would be too large sometimes.

I posted a resolution vs. viewing distance chart a few weeks ago, which showed that one would need to sit 7 feet or closer to a 32" screen to get the full benefit of 720p. For 1080p (full hd), the distance is 4.5 feet. Since few people sit that close in real life, a 1080p 32" screen is superfluous. Unless you're using it as a computer monitor.

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 02-03-2010 10:45 AM In reply to

burantek:

I also think this raises the old age question of: screen size vs. viewing distance vs. resolution.

I have an old 30" Philips 720 crt set that is utterly breath-taking.

In this size range, is "full HD" even needed?

Agree. There was a previous discussion here.  You really only need so called HD for big screens at long viewing distances. For your average room/ viewing distance you can't beat SD (simply because your eyes cannot perceive any difference in higher resolutions.) If you have a very large room or cinema room you will need HD if you don't want to view a blocky/ pixellated large picture.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)