in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-09-2010 6:18 AM by Matthew. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-06-2010 5:31 PM

• Yendys
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 100
    • Founder

Why would you recommend the Beo5 instead of a Beo4?

I need another remote for the house, should I go to a Beo5 or stick with another Beo4?

Why would you recommend the Beo5 instead of a Beo4?

One main reason I can see is to not have to go through what is now a long list of functions in the LIST button to find what I need.  I would like to be able to program it but what other benefits are there?

BV10, AvantDVD, BS3000, BL8000, BL6000, BL4000, BL3500, BeoPorts, BC9300, BC7002, CX100s, C75s, Beo4s, BC6000s, LC2s, A9, A8s,

• 02-06-2010 5:48 PM In reply to

Re: Why would you recommend the Beo5 instead of a Beo4?

A good feature of the Beo5 is the possibility to add Logos for all the channels.

The main problem is you have to charge it all the time.

• 02-06-2010 5:59 PM In reply to

I have ordered a Beo 5 and am curious to see if I like it better than the Beo 4. One thought I had where the Beo 4 may be simpler is if you want to switch to a source that has a hard button on the Beo 4, such as CD, it is a one button press. If I am understanding correctly, on the Beo 5 it may take more than one press as it will be necessary to back out of the menu  currently in use, such as the menu for CD, to the source menu so that a source may be chosen.

I am looking forward to the channel logos as well as some functions for third party products requiring a single button rather than two buttons on the Beo 4, such as reversing on our DVR.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 02-06-2010 6:00 PM In reply to

As you said, having access to all the functions without the need to scroll through the LIST is a great advantage. Also controlling all the 3rd party equipment with the remote is great. And the last one is creating macros to combine some commands that you always type one after another.

Cheers,
    Frank

• 02-06-2010 6:02 PM In reply to

• hansb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-15-2009
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

I'm new to the Beo5, I've only had it for 2-3 weeks now.  I have to say, though, that I love it!  Sure, it needs to be charged, but hey, instead of throwing a remote on the coffee table, I place it in its charger instead.

The Beo4 is a great remote, no doubt, and I'm sure there are those that used it much more extensively than I did/do.  I only used it to select a source and turn volume up/down and that's about it.  Much to my fiancee's disappointment, all the other equipment remotes were on the coffee table too!  Not any more...with the Beo5, I've now got control of my entire system.  I did have to post a few questions here on this list, but the programming was a snap and none was done by the dealer...did it all myself and have a very customized remote. 

On my main screen I've got all my sources...TV, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray DVD, Escient, DVR, PC, Radio & CD as well as a switch-over to the projector from the TV.

Love the feel of the remote in my hand and do most things singlehandedly.

Hans

• 02-06-2010 8:26 PM In reply to

glad to hear you like it. Hope I like ours as well when we finally get it.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 02-07-2010 3:18 AM In reply to

• Yendys
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 100
    • Founder

Great thanks for your replies very helpful. 

I looked at getting one when they came out but it the product seems to have matured even without official user version of the software, the excellent work done hereat Beoworld  by the members and the great technical resource of Keith.

If I understand what is possible it should simplify controlling all of my B&O equipment and 3rd party devices although I only really have a PS3 and need a USB to IR plugin so the Beo5 can communicate with  it.

BV10, AvantDVD, BS3000, BL8000, BL6000, BL4000, BL3500, BeoPorts, BC9300, BC7002, CX100s, C75s, Beo4s, BC6000s, LC2s, A9, A8s,

• 02-07-2010 1:23 PM In reply to

Forgot one more thing: The Beo5 can be operated in the dark!

Cheers,
    Frank

• 02-08-2010 3:20 AM In reply to

With a Beo5 I thought that is easier to betjeni 3.rd parte product because the screen offers buttons for control. With a Beo4 some of the functions not directly used.

My Bang & Olufsen....

• BeoCenter 2 DAB/DVD mk.II
    • BeoVision 7-40 DVD mk.III
    • BeoLab Penta mk.III
    • BeoLab 4000 icepower
    • BeoLab 4000
    • BeoLab 3500
    • Beo 5
    • Beo 4 mk.I & mk.III
    •  
    • Beocom 6000
    •  
    • A8 Earphones

• 02-08-2010 4:55 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Negative popints---
    Beo5 is not as good as Beo4 for knocking nails in, nor for disciplinning errant children.

Just my three ha'pence.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-08-2010 6:17 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Yendys:

I looked at getting one when they came out but it the product seems to have matured even without official user version of the software, the excellent work done hereat Beoworld  by the members and the great technical resource of Keith.

If I understand what is possible it should simplify controlling all of my B&O equipment and 3rd party devices although I only really have a PS3 and need a USB to IR plugin so the Beo5 can communicate with  it.

Yendys:

For your PS3 get the RE-BL adapter from wb_electronics: http://www.re-bl.com/

@JandyT

Absolutely right! Big Smile And you can't defend yourself with the Beo 5. Instead you could say "Stay back or I use my "flash thingy" to destroy you!" Stick out tongue

• 02-09-2010 6:18 AM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Jandyt:

Negative popints---
    Beo5 is not as good as Beo4 for knocking nails in, nor for disciplinning errant children.

Just my three ha'pence.

Andy T.

I find my Beo5 provides an excellent means of distraction on the one hand, as in "what the #$&% is that thing?", whilst the other hand holds my Beo4, ready for administering the appropriate disciplinary action.

Wink

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)